Steve's update RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Amazing sounding analog masters for LP confirmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone else pointed out that Warner support DVD-Audio. I'd accept that, it could feature a Dolby Digital track to ensure playback on all DVD players, and perhaps include a bonus track or two, and some music videos to attract non-audiophile buyers. That sort of thing could make it a viable project for Warner, even if only audiophiles realise it contains a properly mastered, and high resolution version of the album.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yes, that's right.

Guys, what was the last new release to come out on SACD in NA???? Tell me when you have the answer, I'll be shaving my long grey beard!

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yep, after finally getting this on on cd (couldn't resist the great price), it is, musically speaking, amazing. Frusciante is channeling Hendrix, Page and Nile Rodgers! Is this guy suddenly one of the best guitar players around? Wow.

I think the vinyl will find it's way to my house.

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I've always been very impressed by Frusciante's playing. I've seen/heard him do some really cool stuff, but I think he usually holds back when playing with RHCP. I'm so glad he came back after those "difficult" years. :)

5. Frusciante has been one of the best guitarists for the last 15 years I think, BSSM put him in that league. Even on his first solo album Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt he used an old four track to layer seemingly unrelated guitar parts into cohesive songs.

He is also quite experimental in the studio, including reversing the tape for weird solo effects for Give It Away, and a lot of solo songs. He even uses the reversed tape technique on the track Stadium Arcadium, it starts at about 3 minutes 15 seconds on the right channel, then speeds up as the band goes into the chorus. It is such an unusual sound, but he seems to have this ability to play a guitar part, but know what it will sound like once reversed.

6. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Do we know where the lp's are going to be pressed? It'd be a crime for Steve's hard work to be wasted by poor vinyl. Too many modern lp's sound like Rice Krispies already!

JJ

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

See post #1. ;)

8. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

I was pretty excited with what Steve said about the sound of the tapes, I must've skipped over that bit!

RTI are good, yes?

JJ

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

He's great in concert too...the band rocks big time. Check out the Hyde Park release for some tasty guitar riffs and solo's.

10. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

I was at the Hyde park gig on the Saturday, it was awesome!!

Can't fault John's guitar playing he gets great sounds from his Strat, but my eye was on flea, what a bass player!

Saw them live at the V festival too, they are amazing live, they just love playing and jamming with their tunes.

Seein them again next month, can't wait!

JJ

11. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

Yes, very good.

12. tennisets

tennisets New Member

I didn't read through the whole thread so I may have missed this, but when is this going to be released? I'm really looking forward to picking it up.

13. hungrych

hungrych New Member

Maybe if the band listens to the vinyl they'll get the message and start using the same mastering on the CD's; even a limited edition would be awesome.

We can only hope.. :p

14. Tristan

Tristan Member

So who should we thank at WB for so graciously allowing Steve to do this? I am very grateful to have some new, quality vinyl releases done right - right from the start!
    Morph the Cat is amazing in every way! Easily one of the best sounding releases I have heard in years. I join those of you who cannot wait for this release. Thanks, Steve!

15. John

John Senior Member

I am not a huge fan, but a fan to be sure. However, anyone who cares enough to record good music, all analog gets my vote. I am buying this on vinyl. I hope others will follow. Thanks to the RHCP, Rick Rubin, and WB. Oh yeah Kevin and Steve too!

16. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Oh man I am glad this is going to rock, my wife has been bugging me to ge this on CD and I keep telling her I am waiting till the LP comes out cause "that Hoffman guy" is mastering it.

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Then you can put it on, and in one of your quieter moments together whisper in her ear, "Steve Hoffman mastered this LP". Gary (Sput) would be proud... :shh:

18. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

So funny.....I had the exact same experience today in the car with my wife. My wife replied, "but then I can't put it on my ipod". Told her I'd needle drop it for her, then she really didn't know what I was talking about.

19. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

The RHCP's have been the number 1 selling CD for at least 2 weeks now.

20. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:laugh:

21. Baz P

Baz P Active Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, tennisets. I've just read through the whole thread and the best I can say is, "You, like all the rest of us, will have to wait and see." On release there will probably be an announcement at the very top of the "Music" posts.

You'll be in a much beter position than me to get it - I've just had to fork out £40 (roughly $75) postage for four 180 gram albums from the USofA. Then I'll probably have to pay the Post Office another £15-20 ($27-37) for the privilege of picking them up when they arrive at the local Post Office. If "Stadium Arcadium" isn't available in the UK on vinyl it's going to be one very expensive album :(

22. Baz P

Baz P Active Member

There...a minute before my post was sent Mr Hoffman makes his announcement :righton:

23. I could be wrong, but my impression is that the 150 gram version will be a general release around the world (excuse the RHCP pun there).

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I hope so! I'm waiting for the local release here in Canada.

25. Is anyone else concerned when Warner execs say that the vinyl LP issue will be the definitive version of the album?

Obviously it is definitive in one sense, it means the entire production and mastering is kept analog.

However, why couldn't this be a 2 Hybrid SACD set, or a DVD-Audio disc?

Is it simply that vinyl still is perceived as the audiophile format? I honestly don't know, I've been into vinyl for 5 days! :D

Am I being cynical in feeling that they could sell a 4 LP set at a much higher price than a 2 SACD set?

I just feel dissapointed (as usual) that the definitive version of the album can't also be the mass released version? I think that if the attitude remains that people need to support vinyl in order to care about good sound, then the interests of good sound won't be served well. Shouldn't good sound be for everyone? CD only people, and iPod users included?

Sorry for editorialising... I still can't believe this vinyl release is happening, and it of course brings up all those issues about bad CD sound quality etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.