OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player discussion thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

No, the Oppo can't do WAV files. I'm having them transcoded to LPCM to stream them from the PC

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Damn, now it's stopping between every song until I hit the next track button.

3. WAV to LPCM isn't really transcoding. The actual PCM data is untouched. The WAV container is ignored and the raw PCM data is then streamed.

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

But, you have to set transcoding to PCM in the program.

Just tried out the trial version of Nero Home Media 4. Same thing, stops after every song. However, I can now see each album/folder individually

5. Ah, I see. The program is incorrectly using the term "transcoding"!

6. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

the only problem I'm having with the BDP-83 (non SE) is with the internet connectivity. And it probably isn't a problem with th player but maybe with my wireless internet bridge. It keeps losing connectivity and now I haven't been able to get it back.

Ever since I hooked up my Samsung UN55B800 with the samsung net bridge my BDP-83 keeps disconnecting.

any eye-dears?

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Oppo

Anyone know when Oppo is coming out with the "less expensive" version of the 83?

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I've heard about lots of success reports with the OPPO version of the bridge. It is very plug 'n play: http://www.oppodigital.com/wireless-bridge-kit-WBK1/

Should be any day now.

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

thanks Sam

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I should clarify something. The new player will not be a cheaper BDP-83, it will be a replacement for their DV-980H + Blu-ray functionality. If that distinction doesn't help ya out now, it will when you learn about the new player ;)

Here's some good reading on the BDP-83 and DNLA:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#what-is-dlna

11. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Anyone have any opinions about the mods some are offering for the BDP-83? Supposedly, a modded 83 greatly outperforms a stock 83SE, but there are multiple companies offering them. Modwright and Tweak Audio offer mods that put the player around $1000, which I'd be comfortable with if the sound was greatly improved. There really isn't a universal player in the price range that can compete, anyways, so modding it to such a level may put it in the same league as the Sony 5400ES. Since that player is CD/SACD only, though, the BDP-83 would have a massive advantage if it can offer comparable sound through the analog outs when modded.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

How do we know it's not in the same league as the 5400ES already? :confused:

Owners of both swear by them, but I don't know of anyone who has had them side by side for a listening test.

13. everton

everton Forum Resident

I hope that they make this new unit easier to convert into a region-free player. This issue is important for me, and it's been holding me back from getting the BDP-83.

14. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I never said it didn't. I haven't really seen any comparisons.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Well, the Oppo beats the 'XA5400ES with Blu-Ray and DVD-Audio. ;)

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

I might try and persuade the guys at Critic to give one a listen, and be in on it myself, would be interesting to see how it stacks up against other known references :)

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The upcoming player won't be region free for DVD or Blu-ray. And no easy remote fix to get around that limitation.

And HDCD ;)

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

We don't know for sure. But Ric Schultz, who modifies the Oppo, says of the SE model:

but he probably hasn't made that comparison.

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/83SEversus_83.html

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I take that with a grain of salt. He obviously derives income from "improving" upon players (SE and stock BDP-83).

20. Metralla

Fair comment.

21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

There was an interesting little article at Hi-Def Digest today about Lexicon selling their version of the Oppo 83 for $3500... :eek:

22. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

23. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I thought it was odd that he even made that statement about the Sony versus the SE, as it seemed like (at the time anyway) he hadn't even heard the Sony, just read about it.

24. Metralla

Although that's probably true, Ric has had a lot of experience and has listened to a lot of players. He modified my XA777ES for me and knew the sound of that, stock and modified.

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I refrained from mentioning HDCD since some non-HDCD player beat HDCD players with HDCD-encoded discs. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.