Johnny Marr on The Smiths boxset and Warners

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom Stroud, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

I hope that by "good" he doesn't mean "loud" and "hiss free".

2. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

So do I, and we have to hope he doesn't take any advice from Morrissey on CD mastering.

3. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Any NEW news on the set?

:thumbsup:

4. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

We need this...

5. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Just to add one to The Keymaster's list: my wife who's a big Smiths fan says they covered "A Fool Such As I" (originally Hank Snow but a big hit for Elvis) at their last ever session together (early '87) with Grant Showbiz in Streatham.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

www.morrissey-solo.com is showing that Warners is releasing yet another (!) best of. this time though, a second bonus disc is including a few rarities:

London seems to be from Rank.
    It'd be nice if they at least made some of the other non-rarities come in their slightly different versions from Louder Than Bombs, say Stretch Out & Wait from World Wont Listen, Back To The Old House from Hatful of Hollow, but I'd guess a decent amt of fans already have those two british albums. I'm sure Moz will be thrilled with the Charming Man remix. it also would've been nice had they been a bit more definitive on that second dsic. Either do like radiohead and make it a double disc of studio stuff, or just put rarities on disc 2. I mean, Vicar in a Tutu seems completely random. And Money Changes Everything (already on World Wont Listen) over the much harder to find studio version of Draize Train, booo.

I wonder if this gets the kibosh before it comes out.

7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Bah, 2 live tracks I don't have, they can stick that CD where the sun doesn't shine :wave:

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That live take of "Meat Is Murder" was featured on the b-side of the "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" 12", iirc. All of those songs are drawn from various b-sides, if I'm not mistalen, and are therefore not truly previously unreleased.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I know for a fact that Bombs could sound better. :righton:

BTW, I have reserved a spot in an upcoming Weakest Link game and guess which album will be featured?

You guessed it: Louder Than Bombs.

Stay tuned...:agree:

10. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Read Simon Goddard's "Songs That Saved Your Life" if you want insight into all the unreleased/alternate/rare Smiths stuff that's floating around (or still in the vault).

Great book set up in the style of "Revolution In The Head" and all The Smiths (incl. Craig Gannon, but not you-know-who) agreed to be interviewed for the book.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

It has begun - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=159642 :wave:

12. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Bump...nearly two years later.

Anybody know if this project got off the ground?

13. serge

serge Forum Resident

I would say its clear that the Smiths are still being treated like garbage....

Morrissey obviously in the past three years has completely refocused on rebuilding his solo career with albums and A LOT of touring...

I think the Smiths is an example of a band that lost a lot of cache because they were not really handled well by the record company etc....

14. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Well, the record company issues are real--but so is the bitter hatred between Mr. Morrissey and Mr. Joyce.

15. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I'm a recent fan of this band. The Smiths are so enjoyable that I've chased the early vinyl releases. Any reissues need to up the past...if it's possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.