Weakest Link: The Smiths - "Louder Than Bombs" - Round One

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

That's right, The Smiths get their turn at the weakest link game. Since there are 24 songs, we will start with rounds where you eliminate 3 songs.

Discussion question - what was your first Smiths album and in what format?

For me it was the CD of Queen is Dead. A classic! :)

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Queen is Dead CD, then I got Louder Than Bombs. Then Strangeways.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Hatful of Hollow Rough Trade CD was first for me. I heard How Soon Is Now on the radio and was hooked.

4. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

The first Smiths album I bought was the 'Strangeways' CD the week it came out (listened to friends' cassettes of QID and LTB up 'til then). Lots of $$ spent collecting Johnny, Moz and the boys since that time! :help:

5. Oh man, this is one of the tougher ones. I've never been a huge Smiths fan, but I could have gone with about 10 of these titles. Too bad "How Soon Is Now?" isn't an option, as that song meant a lot to me in my mid-teens.

Anyway, my first proper Smiths LP was the original Sire LP of The Queen Is Dead,bought shortly after release - some iffy skiffly moments (less so than the previous album though) but a strong effort overall and a proper classic album.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You're supposed to pick your least favourite!

7. George P

To be clear, your votes should be for the 3 songs to go, the 3 weakest links. :)

8. Oh s**t!! I'm so used to voting in the "faves" polls that I completely blanked on this!!! I usually ignore these as there's rarely been an LP under examination I cared that much about. Duh. Well, nothing I can do now, I suppose.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I doubt Panic, Ask or William It Was Really Nothing are in danger.

10. George P

Nah, just let me know your three votes to go and I'll add them in at the end of the voting. Also, let me know which 3 you voted already and I'll remove them form the tally at the end, tomorrow night. :)

11. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

My brother gave me "Hatful of Hollow" vinyl early 1985 after he had been going to school in Ireland and listening to a lot of John Peel...

12. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Mine are:

Golden Lights :thumbsdn:
    Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
    & Asleep

I love this album, but feel it would've been much stronger if the last five tracks had been scattered throughout the album instead of being lumped together the way they are. I actually think most of those songs are individually still very good, but presented back-to-back the way they are, I've always felt that they cause the album to just lose steam and drop dead.

13. serge

serge Forum Resident

ha ha i agree with the majority so far: golden lights, oscillate, rubber ring

three clunkers

14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I just voted Golden Lights, I need to listen to it again to remind myself of a few of them, but I know that Golden Lights is my least favourite track so it's getting dumped on.

15. Ditto! :)

16. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I'm surprised Girl Afraid is 4th.

17. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

My first Smiths album was The Smiths, purchased in '83 or '84 in West Berlin. I hadn't heard any of their music, just saw it in the shop window and bought it. Needless to say I was very pleasantly surprised and have been a fan ever since.

18. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Really surprised at the number of votes Oscillate Wildly has. I think it is one of the best things the Smiths ever did.

19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I cant remember what it sounds like just now but I was sure it was a decent song. Cant for the life of me remember Rubber Ring either.

20. Thanks - might as well make it public:

My votes: "Golden Lights", "Rubber Ring", "Unloveable"

My mistaken votes: "Panic", "Hand in Glove", "William It Was Really Nothing"

21. George P

OK, if it's a close round I will adjust the voting accordingly.

22. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Only 4 songs have no votes (even if you remove the mistaken votes)

23. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

Boy, for an album with 24 songs, this is going to be a toughie... great great album!

24. George P

Yes, it's gonna be a close one, I think. Glad others love this album as much as I do. It's definitely my favorite album by the Smiths.

25. The first Smiths music I purchased and/or heard was "Hatful Of Hollow" UK Rough Trade #76 vinyl,
    was delighted by the release and astounded by "How Soon Is Now?". :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.