Grateful Dead - reviews of official live and Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P.S.:

Just checked with hdcd.exe, and it cannot detect any HDCD encoding on my "One from the Vault 1" CD release.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know when HDCD technology first became available, but I believe the Dead started using it in 1997 on their "Fillmore West 2/11/69" and "Fallout From the Phil Zone" releases (can't remember which came first). It wasn't used for the Dick's Picks series until DP 15 which came out in late 1999.

Current editions of "One From The Vault" most likely use HDCD but I don't know for sure.

3. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, I thought -- but would actually have to go downstairs to confirm -- that the recent FTV re-issues were all HDCD.

4. I was wondering how the 3-CD "Best Of" set is rated. I know, the 10-CD set sure would be nice, but it is hardly available anymore, and if so, it's quite expensive. Maybe the 3-CD set is not such a bad idea to get some of this music.

I am just wondering if the 3-CD set indeed uses the best versions for each song (if the best version wasn't the one on Live/Dead - I think they did not use any of these versions for the 3-CD compilation).

Is the 3-CD well done in that regard?

5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I really enjoy the 3 CD version and yet I definitely feel like I'm missing out.

I can't say this enough: I really hope that at the very least, each of the four shows is eventually re-released as individual archival sets. I know it would tick off all the collectors out there who were lucky enough to score a box a few years ago, especially those who have forked over hundreds of dollars on E-Bay. But there you have it.

6. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I have the 3cd set and I think Iam fine with that...

7. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I'll buy over-priced MFSL or DCC releases that are limited, but not GD stuff...it's the anti-thesis of what the scene/music was about for me.

Face value tickets or less..miracle anyone?....tapes traded and the wonderful music shared....not limited, but shared. :)

They released the Terrapin Station 3cd set as a limited release, then turned around and re-released so why this Fillmore set hasn't come out again to undercut the chislers is beyond me.

By making it limited, they've missed out on making soooooooo much money it's beyond stupid.

The next time Weir whines about downloads, someone should point that out to him.

8. MikeP5877

Fillmore West

Don't know why it was limited to only 10,000. A few years ago, someone here suggested WB were behind making it a limited edition, so any blame toward Weir and the Dead may be misguided. Whatever the reason, I think both the Dead and the fans were ill-served by making this such a limited release. Of course if anyone needs the music bad enough they can get it elsewhere, for free. But still...

I would welcome a reissue of this music, either in a set, or as individual shows. It was a steal at $89 for 10 CD's + a bonus. I bought for the wonderful music, not because it was a "limited edition". If anyone who bought this set originally were to be "ticked off" at a reissue, I'd have to question why they bothered to buy it in the first place. It's about the music, not the collectibility of the CD's.

As for the three CD edition, I have no opinion on it. Since I have the 10 CD set, I never bothered to check to see which versions from which shows are on it. I suppose it's a decent set for a casual fan, but if you're a major fan of this era, you really need the individual shows, one way or another.

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I'd like them to reissue it, and have the opportunists get mad...it's those same people who kept it out of my hands, as I found the last one just sold the day I called to order it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who woulda had it if people didn't buy it with an eye on the secondary market.

10. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Not to change the subject, but I wish the Dead Store would get DP vol 3 back in stock(cd)...

11. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

Thanks for the great write-up! I'm going to check out your run down on "Dick's Picks" next.

Thanks again,

- augustwest

12. I just ordered the 3-CD set on Amazon for $20 (I think they have a sale going on).

I also ordered the GD movie soundtrack for the same price.

And "The Golden Road" boxset. Whew!

13. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Golden Road is a nice set..

14. I created a table to show which versions from which show are on the 3-CD set of Fillmore West 1969. Looks like they got most of the songs on there, exactly once. Two or three tunes are missing all together.

The numbers shown in the table are the order they appear on the respective release.

Some versions also appeared on Live/Dead, and they tried not to duplicate these version for the most part on the 3-CD set.

So, the 3-CD set together with Live/Dead, do these cover the best versions of these songs from the complete run? I would be interested in other people's opinion how they rate the various versions from each of the four nights.

Attached Files:

• GD3.gif
      GD3.gif
      File size:
      7.2 KB
      Views:
    • GD4.gif
      GD4.gif
      File size:
      5.8 KB
      Views:
  15. MikeP5877

My favorite Dark Star from that run is 2/27, the one they used for Live Dead. It has just a little something special over the other versions, though those are great as well. It's hard to pick a second favorite from that run. I guess I'd say 3/2.

My favorite version of "That's It For the Other One" is from 2/27 but it was already released on the So Many Roads box set. It's a scorcher. The version from 3/1, paired up with "New Potato Caboose" is really nice. In fact, the whole first set of 3/1 is awesome. Check out the intro to "Cosmic Charlie" from the 3/1 show. It almost sounds like they are kicking off the Beatles "Revolution".

All in all, the 3-CD set looks well-compiled, but I still say one needs the complete shows. They're that good.

16. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I have the 3cd set and enjoy it.

17. Does the "Steppin' Out" release from 1972 not have any booklet? I received the CD set and there is no booklet in there. Am I missing it?

18. MikeP5877

Yes, "Steppin' Out" came with a booklet.

19. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Any opinions on the new MSG 1990 Road Trips?

20. MikeP5877

I do not have that yet but I'm familiar enough with the shows to say this release is highly recommended. It's compiled from one of their best run of shows in their later years.

Also discussed here:

Grateful Dead - new Road Trips - Sept 90 MSG

21. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

My 12/31/76 set came without a booklet also.:realmad:

22. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

mine has a mastering glitch on Eyes of the World, wanna trade? :realmad:

23. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Thanks Mike, I checked, but missed the other thread. I figured even though it was a pre-release notice, the Deadheads here would know the scoop :righton:

24. Why not an update of this list of reviews? It's been 4 years and we've seen many great releases since this was first posted.

25. MikeP5877

Good idea, I'll pick up from 2006 and post something in the next week or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.