Best Rush Cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ATSMUSIC, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, but they actually did print that. And anybody in 1979 or later who would even understand the Dewe/Truman reference would know that it was talking about the premature headline and this famous picture. Did they sue Truman himself here? I know you aren't defending them, and there's no point in going any further on the topic. It's just ridiculous of them to have threatened legal action of the headline.

On my cd, the print is too small to be legible. You can read the DEWEY BEATS TRUMAN part, but not what is above that. I assume it was legible on the LP.

2. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

Which CD version do you have? It's not on my early Mercury CD or LP. The LP artwork is way bigger and is much easier to see all the cool stuff in the background. If I did have an LP with the headline on it, it would be legible.

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I'm sure you and I talked about this in the Targets and First pressings thread in LWT not so long ago.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Really? I don't recall that at the moment, but its possible. Trying to keep everything I read straight in my head is a chore. They say we have all this unused brain capacity, but I can't figure out how to access it. ;)

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Since getting the Hemispheres Mercury CD (silver hub) that sounded so amazing I'm on a Rush kick now. Found a few more today. All of them sounded very good to me (although I have nothing to compare them to besides Chronicles).

Caress Of Steel - Mercury USA PDO CD w/ silver center.
    Permanent Waves - WG Atomic
    Power Windows - US Atomic
    Grace Under Pressure - US Atomic

The only one that's been a disappointment so far is the WG Atomic of Fly By Night. All the others sound very nice!

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Comparing the WG Atomic and MFSL CDs of Permanent Waves I'm hearing minor differences. The Mo-Fi has a bit more weight in the lower mids and the overall sound is more complex. The WG holds its own but is a touch on the bright side and I miss the bottom end of the MFSL. Those MoFi guys did a fantastic job with this one.

7. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Thanks, Jamie. I wish I was back in Nashville to go Rush cd hunting with you. I would love to pick up some original releases.

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

And here's a 4th mastering from a USA non-Atomic, non-remaster (matrix 800 048-2 04% GW)

100.0 %
    99.7 %
    100.0 %
    99.9 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %

9. SkyBlueShag

SkyBlueShag Forum Resident

These Permanent Wave values also match my US Mercury CD with a silver hub.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I wonder if any of the Atlantic AMCY Japan masterings (from before the remasters) match the Sony 25.8P's.

11. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

They don't sound the same as the Sony ones to my ears. I have the whole run. And some were not part of the Sony run (i.e. S/T through ATWAS).

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Minus 2112 of course. :wave:

13. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Hey, going off memory. :D

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Just found a copy of "Power Windows" Japan for Japan Epic / Sony 32 8P 101 :)

I will be comparing this to my West German pressing soon.

Simon :)

15. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

Cool, I just found a pre-remaster Canadian Power Windows (and a Grace Under Pressure disc as well) and I also have the US Atomic. After comparing them they sounded so similar I couldn't really tell the difference between them.

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Found a copy with Dave's help, :cheers: this disc is absolutely stunning :righton:

Simon :D

17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I recently did some blind a/b/c comparisons using the 25 8P, MFSL and WG Atomic of Moving Pictures. I came to no definite conclusions as to which I like best. The MOFI and WG Atomic were a bit more laid back than the 25 8P, but for some of the songs I preferred more agressive for others I did not. I decided the WG Atomic would sit on my shelf as it was the one I remember getting in my youth 22 years ago. The bottom line at least for me, is that the MOFI is just not worth the $50-$60USD it commands when the Atomic is at least as good/very difficult to tell apart from the MFSL and can usually be had at 1/5th the cost or less.

So folks to save a whole lot of money in dire economic times, Go Atomic!

Rick

18. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Has anyone else compared any of the un-remastered US/WG/Canadian/Japanese versions of Moving Pictures against each other? Looks like there is the Canadian Anthem, the two WG Atomics (the first of which is missing a drum beat and may be the same as the 'green arrow') and the non-Atomic US, plus the Japanese 28P.

I see above that ricks thinks the (what I presume is the 'good') WG Atomic is comparable with the MOFI and they are more laid-back than the 28P. I'm wondering how these and the Anthem and non-Atomic US compare, sound-wise.

Also, can someone post EAC peak levels for the 28P to see if that is unique or the same as one of the others?

----------

From the previous page, to get them all in one spot:

"This is the EAC peak levels from the first WG version (matrix 800 048-2 02 #):

Track 1 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 2 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 3 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 4 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 5 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 6 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 7 Peak level 100.0 %

This is the EAC peak levels from the Anthem ANMD-1030:

Track 1 Peak level 95.7 %
    Track 2 Peak level 89.0 %
    Track 3 Peak level 94.8 %
    Track 4 Peak level 82.1 %
    Track 5 Peak level 99.5 %
    Track 6 Peak level 91.5 %
    Track 7 Peak level 75.6 %"

"Peak levels from the WG Atomic "Moving Pictures" (matrix 800 048-2 03#):

91.2"

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The 25.8P is unique. I used to have it.

20. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

OK. Wow, so it appears that there are at least FIVE distinct 'early' masterings of Moving Pictures, before the remaster and not counting the MOFI.

1. Green Arrow and original WG Atomic (missing first drum beat, matrix code ending in '02 #')
    2. 2nd WG Atomic (matrix code ending in '03 #')
    3. Canadian Anthem
    4. Japanese 28P
    5. US Mercury non-Atomic (matrix code ending in '04 #')

I wonder if the existence of the MOFI reduces the interest in comparing these versions - buying the '04 #' (as I've discovered it is although I don't have it yet) has got me curious about how these all compare. As of now I gather that, unusually, the original pressing is bad, and that the 28P is 'less laid back' than the 2nd WG Atomic.

It would be interesting to see peak levels of the 28P, for completeness.

21. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Just thought I'd throw this up here to see if anyone has any comments:

I believe it has been determined that the West German atomic of Exit Stage Left shares the same mastering as the Epic/Sony 1st Japanese pressing. I just recently scored a WG copy of this on ebay for a good price, and I compared it to my non-atomic US pressing. I don't have EAC (I'm on a Mac), so I can only rely on my ears. I really can't tell any difference between Spirit Of Radio, YYZ, Beneath Between And Behind, etc. but when I get to Freewill and Tom Sawyer I swear my non-atomic US pressing sounds different. These two tracks in particular sound louder to me (compared to the WG atomic), almost like a remaster.

The other weird thing about my US non-atomic is the lack of any matrix# info on the inner banding. There is nothing whatsoever. It has a clear hub, but no information at all surrounding it. I just noticed this right now. Is this considered unusual?

22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

Here are the numbers for the Moving Pictures 25 8P

100.0 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %

Only a few peak on each song hot 100%, but it sure looks modern nonetheless. Not a bad sounding disc but the Atomic is better overall and much less expensive.

23. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Just for the record I just got a USA non-Atomic with the same peak values, with matrix "8000482 03@".

24. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Does the "Chronicles" 2CD set currently in print (which has been packaged with the DVD since 2001) have the same mastering as the original Chronicles 2CD set released in 1990?

25. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I don't think it's been remastered, but it's possible they may have. My guess is they haven't remastered it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.