Best Rush Cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ATSMUSIC, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Yes, the WG atomics. They're just so meh and flat - and not in a good way. Again, I need to do a comparison as I still own them all (along with all of the Japanese pressings), but IMO the Japanese ones sound a little better than those, some remasters are better, etc. It's case-by-case. But as a rule, the WGs I didn't like even in the 80s when I bought them new!

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I agree, but just like Jamie's "Fly By Night", you have to take it on a case by case basis.

3. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

a lot of comments here are making me want to do some more comparing. From what I recall though, many of the remasters had excessive high end boost. When I want to hear Rush I always reach for the atomics instead of the remasters. Something tells me I'm gonna have to take the plunge sooner than later for some Epic/Sony versions.

4. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

For the first 3 albums
    Rush, Fly By Night, and Caress of Steel - Gilbert Kong Vinyl
    2112 - Again Gilbert Kong vinyl although the bass is a tad bit lacking on it.
    A Farewell to kings - west german atomic CD
    Hemispheres - really i have no preference...
    Moving pictures - really they all sound fine to me but if i was to pick one the mfsl
    permanent waves - theres some 32xd thing thrown around on here but I guess the mfsl?
    Signals - German vinyl or MFSL disc :)
    Grace under pressure - western german atomic

Sorry I like my vinyl too :laugh:

5. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Do you have used CD stores anywhere near you? I see the old, non-remastered discs all the time locally. They're usually pretty cheap, too.

6. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Yes, but they never have any old Rush, and inventory never turns over. I don't live in a big city. I guess I'll have to try stop in next time I'm in the city.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

For Moving Pictures, I think the 258P and the WG Atomic both beat the MFSL. I've had all three. *disclaimer* - there are two verstions of the WG Atomic, and one sounds bad. You have to get the right one.

For Perm Waves - I've also compared the 258P and the new MFSL, and I think the 258P is better.

8. Scott Strobel

Scott Strobel Forum Resident

So you guys are making me want to dig out my Rush Cd's and compare!!!

I have a lot of the original Canadian, West German and USA releases as well as the MFSL versions that were done.

I do remember thinking some years back when I did some comparing of all those discs that I liked a lot of the Canadian discs over most of the others.

I guess it's time to do some serious "Rush" listening... not that I mind that of course!! :D and narrow it down again.

I wish I could throw some japan discs into the mix, but I have never even heard a Japan Rush Cd unfortunately.

I guess I just gave myself a job!!

Anyone like the Canadian versions over any of the other versions?

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

How can one find out what is the better WG atomic version?

10. StyxCollector

I have some of the Anthem discs. Before I got everything else, I preferred the Anthem ESL (which was marked ADD) to the WG Atomic.

11. StyxCollector

Don't bother with the Atomic. The MoFi really is the best version on CD.

12. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

For Moving Pictures, I have the MFSL and a WG atomic that has the first beat of Tom Sawyer "chopped." Is there a WG atomic that has this corrected? I guess this would indicated two different masterings, right? I am guessing the non-chopped one would be the better sounding overall.

13. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Here is some information regarding this issue:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2797137&postcount=74

14. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

As far as sound quality, I believe both WG atomics are the same. The problem with the earlier version is that it is missing the first drum beat in Tom Sawyer; the later version one has it. The way you can tell is by looking at the matrix:

Missing beat version: 800 048-2 02 #

Non-missing beat version: 800 048-2 03 #

I believe the US atomic and non (silver hub) have the same mastering as the "03 #"

Don't go by the UPC code alone though. I got a "good" copy with the "bad" UPC code. It's best to look at the matrix code.

15. The Rush Fan

I only have two of the Anthem discs. 2112 has a different mastering than the WG version. The Permanent Waves Anthem has the same mastering as the WG. The Anthem PeW is cool because it doesn't have the newspaper headline blanked out!

16. agentalbert

They are not the same at all. Not only does the bad version chop off the first second of Tom Sawyer, the entire cd is mastered differently, and for the worse. I had what I thought were two identical copies. I had listened to the good one, and stuck in the other just to listen to a track or two and instantly noticed the difference. It was louder and harsher sounding. I then put them through EAC to see that they were indeed different masterings. There was a slight difference in the artwork, but discs may have been switched, so it is best to go by the matrix code, as you say.

17. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Do you have the EAC peak levels from the “good” copy? I wonder if they used the Anthem mastering. I have the Anthem disc and it’s clearly a different mastering than the first WG version.

This is the EAC peak levels from the first WG version (matrix 800 048-2 02 #):

Track 1 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 2 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 3 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 4 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 5 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 6 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 7 Peak level 100.0 %

This is the EAC peak levels from the Anthem ANMD-1030:

Track 1 Peak level 95.7 %
    Track 2 Peak level 89.0 %
    Track 3 Peak level 94.8 %
    Track 4 Peak level 82.1 %
    Track 5 Peak level 99.5 %
    Track 6 Peak level 91.5 %
    Track 7 Peak level 75.6 %

18. agentalbert

Peak levels from the WG Atomic "Moving Pictures" (matrix 800 048-2 03#):

Clearly a different mastering.

19. The Rush Fan

Clearly. Guess I was wrong!

20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

That's why I never noticed it. Mine is the matrix that ends in 03. Many Thanks for clearing that up.

I prefer the Atomic slightly over the MFSL, but you really can't go wrong with either. However the Atomic is a lot less $

Rick

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The Atomic and the 25 8P are the same mastering. I have both and can't tell them apart. Although the Sony 25 8P's artwork has the Dewey Defeats Truman on the newspaper while the Polygram Atomic does not.

Here are the values:

82.1 %
    89.6 %
    85.9 %
    78.6 %
    82.7 %
    89.6 %

The only other 25 8P I know of that has the same mastering as an Atomic is Exit..Stage Left http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=135642

22. agentalbert

Regarding Permanent Waves

I did not know that. Just rant the #'s on my Japanese PW, and you're right. Good to know. Why is the headline blacked out on some releases?

23. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

One of my friends told me it was deleted due to legal action.

24. agentalbert

Wow. By who? I wonder on what grounds.

25. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

Supposedly the newspaper (Chicago Tribune? I can't remember) was going to sue because of the Dewey Beats Truman headline. Without going much further into political discussion, Truman won the election, and having the headline on the album cover would have been damaging to the paper's reputation.

EDIT: Just did a little research and apparently some LP releases had the headline. I've got a beat up thrift store LP with a stuck groove (don't think it's a special pressing or anything, probably a reissue), but the headline is blanked on it. There's some other cool stuff on the cover that you just can't see on the CD artwork.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.