Dire Straits - remasters question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anduandi, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member Thread Starter

How do the Dire Straits remasters compare to the West-German non-remastered versions ?
    I gave away my "old" Dire Straits cds and replaced them with the remasters but I'm not happy with the sonics. :(
    Now I have the chance to exchange the remasters into my old ones. :rolleyes:
    Should I ? :sigh:

Achim

2. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Na klar!

Although I prefer the remasters, when You're unhappy with the sound quality of the remasters, You should go for the "oldschool"-mastered originals.

But keep in mind, the originals have slightly shortened versions of some of the songs on the debut album and Communiqué. Worst case: The guitar solo at the end of Sultans Of Swing is faded-out in the middle of the solo. It's really frustrating. There's a four-song Maxi-CD with the entire Sultans Of Swing that sounds almost like the Album-CD version. You should get that one, too.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I sold my originals... the remasters are an improvement against the first pressings!

PS: I can't understand the most "keep the originals" threads :shh: :D

4. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

What a drastic change of Your avatar artwork, Claus. (I appreciate it :thumbsup: )

<<<End of threadcrap>>>

5. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I really like the remasters myself..I thought they were well done.

6. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I bought the S/T remaster since I didn't have that title on cd. After a while I found it a bit sterile/bright sounding and bought an orig. US pressing to compare to. I went with the orig. It all depends on what you like and don't like.

7. serj

serj Forum Resident

I have not heard the original CD's (except 'Love Over Gold' 10 years ago) but also think that the remasters are sterile & bright sounding. I sell my 'Brother in Arms' remaster:( Now i have only 'On every street' album (remastered) - i think it sounds good enough.

8. evad

evad Well-Known Member

You may have answered your own question. If you are not happy with the remasters, pick a favorite title and seek out the non-remastered version. Lots of opinions here.....but ultimately, you will have need to decide which sounds better.

9. Achim,

in my opinion the old versions are really superior. The remasters are compressed quite a bit, for example the track "In The Gallery" is slowly increasing in volume over the whole track on the original CD and vinyl, but is the same volume from start to finish on the remaster. It changes the original intention of the artist quite strongly.

The compression is quite strong, please see here:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1586371&postcount=10

It is important to get the WG version of the first album. The sonics are superior to the non-remastered US version. Two songs are about 10 seconds shorter on that version (Sultans of Swing, Lions). This is a little annoying but the great sound quality makes up for it.

Roland

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Amen and double amen.

11. WestGrooving

Are there multiple WG versions of the first album? I know there's the WG Target, but, are there RED, Blue WG Vertigos or WG non-target versions?
    Are they all similar mastering? I preferred the US orig. over the remaster, but, wasn't overly wowed with it. Sounds like the WG pressing is the way to go.

Ed.

12. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

The WG and the Jpn Targets have identical mastering.

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Do all non-remastered versions of the debut have the faded out guitar solo in Sultan's of Swing mentioned in the earlier post?

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Does the USA WB have the fade??

15. WestGrooving

Sultans of Swing on the USA WB clocks in at 5:49 and MK is done with his solo as the song starts to fade at the 5:38 mark.

16. houston

houston Forum Resident

I really like the only remaster I know, Brothers in Arms....I was on the fence about buying it but when I played it I was happy I purchased it..good sound

17. I don't hate the remasters, and I don't love the originals. If you really want to hear these things right, seek out the vinyl. Especially the ones with 'RL' in the dead wax. At least as far as U.S. pressing go.

18. WestGrooving

Love Over Gold LP is pretty amazing sounding. Those sharp, quick drum hits very dynamic and overall recording ambience very impressive.

19. J.A.W. has a Japanese target of the S/T album which is clearly a different mastering than the WG target and the WG Vertigo (orange swirl). The latter two are the same.

Maybe there is another Japanese target which is the same as the WG target (or another WG target version), but it is certainly not the case for all Japanese targets.

I have never found a difference between orange and blue swirl Vertigo CD's, nor have I found such a difference between a Vertigo WG, Germany or France CD pressing.

20. belardd

belardd Senior Member

If we could only get Twisting by the Pool EP on CD
    and Alchemy on DVD

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I have the original West German Vertigo CD's of all but the first album, and that's because I am unhappy with the early fade on "Sultans Of Swing". They sound fantastic.

Evan

22. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I have the "Money for Nothing" compilation. This is made in 1988 and have the 5.46 version of "Sultans of Swing". Sounds very good.

Attached Files:

23. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

Is there a studio version of "Two Young Lovers" on the EP, or is it the Alchemy version?

24. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

There is a CD video release (a laserdisc EP) which has "Twisting By The Pool" on video and the rest is audio tracks (which play on a CD player). It has all the "Twisting" EP tracks except "Badges, Stickers, Posters, T-Shirts" (has this ever been on CD?) and also includes a live version of "Two Young Lovers". I think I picked this up new in the late 80's.

25. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I have that, the only thing I dont like is the edited version of Money for nothing,

Telegraph Road, and Private Investigations are awesome, and yes this compilation has great sound :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.