Dire Straits - remasters question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anduandi, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

"Two Young Lovers" is studio on the ep. I am beyond baffled that the complete ep has never made it to cd :confused:

2. dudeymon

dudeymon Senior Member

FWIW, I have all of the last round of remasters, and they all sound better than the original domestic releases.

But I also have the latest 2CD compilation, Best of Dire Straits, and these versions are a definite step up from all of the remasters. Check out the opening guitar lines of Private Investigations - the plucked notes jump out at you.

So consider the Best Of DS if you particularly like any of their popular songs and don't mind a hits compliation.

3. Another diplomatic form to describe compression.

Sounds good at first listen (at least to some people).

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Here we go! :angel: :D

I've gone 'round and 'round on the remasters and invariably find myself going back to the West German swirlies/targets. Their warm, relaxed sound just sound more inviting to me.

5. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

That whole compilation is horribly compressed.

6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Which LP's were/are available with RL?

7. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I have a Japanese target of the 1st album and it has the 5:46 version of "Sultans Of Swing"....sounds really nice too!

JF

8. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

A friend bought Making Movies on WB CD back in '88. I listened to it and was disappointed that "Skateaway" faded about 20 to 25 seconds early. The song had such a nice, long fade on vinyl that was missed on the CD. I was grateful I waited to buy a Vertigo Making Movies remaster in the mid-'90s, which came out a couple years before the WB remasters. Both series use the same Bob Ludwig remastering.

For that matter, the live version of "Telegraph Road" on the Money for Nothing comp also fades early, missing the band's wind-up of the song and the crowd's response as heard on Alchemy. The comp is interesting, but it can't take the place of the album versions of some of these songs.

I, too, am disappointed that the Twisting by the Pool EP has never been released in full on CD. My poor cassette's fried! I even heard the title track in a Chili's restaurant a week-and-a-half ago. This was perhaps Terry Williams' best studio work with Dire Straits, very reminiscent of his style in Rockpile. I had fun playing hand percussion on the table in the booth. My family didn't know what to make of me. They never have. ;)

By the way, the mix of "Twisting by the Pool" on the EP is far superior to the remix on Money for Nothing -- too much added reverb on the remix. Just one more reason to want this on CD.

9. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

My copy of Brothers In Arms has it.

10. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

I really like the remasters. i may have been swayed buy the fact i picked the whole studio series up for $AU 9.99. Easiest 60 bucks have ever spent as a guitar player !!!

Have the original vinyl of Brothers in Arms but nothing to play it on. I won 5 bucks on a lotery scratch ticket when i was a 6 year old and asked me dad to buy that album for me. no idea how much it actually was at the time but in my mind a big lottery win meant i could get the Brothers in Arms album !!!

11. lipidicman

lipidicman New Member

Just sent mine back, AWFUL

12. filper

filper Forum Resident

I found a copy of BIA SACD tucked away at a local store.

The surround track is amazing. Great job from a 44.1/16 master.

13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I agree. The remasters are an improvement to my ears.

14. dudeymon

dudeymon Senior Member

If you ever see the DVD-A version, you should give it a try as well. I have both the SACD and DVD-A. To my ears and with my system, the DVD-A version is a little better - slightly warmer and less edgy on the transients, but still crystal clear.

But I've also heard from others that compared and preferred the SACD.

Either way, they are great remasters and probably a true reference for a hi-res surround disc. :cool:

15. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I, for one, am shocked by the support for the remasters on this thread.

I can't offer my opinions on a valid comparison between the remasters and the US originals, but the early (non-remastered) West German Vertigos absolutely trounce the US remasters. In fact, those WG Vertigos are among the finest-sounding CDs in my collection. Turn the volume up, up, up... and then up a little bit more, and the sound just blossoms. They're stunning.

Oh, and they're not too hard to find either.

16. DITTO!

17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Are we talking about the remastered 96's or current ones? i have BIA '96 and it sounds ok, a little loud maybe. Sometimes, but rarely when remastering they get it right!!
    :righton:

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have all the recent remasters and only 1 of the originals (the self titled - Warner Bros. 3266-2 "target" - JPN) and I prefer the original. I'll be looking for more of the old ones.

19. dudeymon

dudeymon Senior Member

I don't understand your comment. Many of the posts in this thread are referring to the Hi-Res SACD remaster, which if listened to in surround mode is an altogether different experience to a 2-channel presentation. It's possible that both can be wonderful - albeit different.

I for one prefer a great sounding surround presentation to any 2-channel presentation of the same recording - but that's just me. Unfortunately for me, many of the hi-res surround discs just don't sound all that great.

Lucky for me, this one does.

20. filper

filper Forum Resident

21. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

IIRC, they don't - at least for the original album. The JPN target = US WB un-remastered CD and the WG target = WG Orange Feathers/Blue Swirl Vertigo design. That's what I've heard. I only have the US WB CD.

EDIT: I see Roland already corrected you. My bad :)

22. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

The redbook remasters (of the individual albums) were done in '96 and released in the UK... Warner did not license them for US release until 2000. AFAIK, there's only one set of remasters, just with a different release date and label, depending on your country.

23. I have the same CD/laserdisc EP. I find it bizarre that they release the live version of "Two Young Lovers" but NOT "Badges, Stickers, Posters, T-Shirts" (which I've never seen on CD) since "TYL" is available on the live "Alchemy" CD (it's the exact same version from what I can tell unless there are edits or something that make it unique).

24. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Um, I just went back and re-read the thread, and most references to the "remasters" were for the redbook remasters. I'm not talking about BIA, I'm talking about the whole catalog. If folks have heard the WG Vertigos, and still prefer the remasters, well, like I said... that would surprise me.

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Me neither. We did that thread to death previously. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.