70 Mm Festival: "Around The World In 80 Days" 30 frame version comments and questions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'll be there for a few of these.

Note: If you are a fan of the movie SOUTH PACIFIC, note that Jeff found the original roadshow print that is 20 MINUTES longer than any other version including DVD, etc. 20 minutes that the general public has not seen. 20 minutes that (when they were trimmed) were ASH-CANNED so no negative exists, 70mm or otherwise. This is IT. The print is faded but fans of the movie should not miss it!! It came from England or somewhere like that..

-------------------------

SEEING THE BIG PICTURE: 70 MM

May 5 – May 10 at The Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood, CA

70mm, like many other motion picture formats such as Cinemascope and Cinerama in the 1950s, was a way of prying folks away from those insidious small screen "idiot boxes" (i.e., televisions) that were starting to deplete the industry’s box office thunder. From Super Technirama 70 to Ultra Panavision to Dimension 150 and more, the 70mm large-screen format promised – and delivered – a Barnum-esque world of spectacular sights and 6-track sounds. If the movies were always larger-than-life, then 70mm movies were MUCH much larger! From 1955 to 1970 – the Golden Age of 70mm Filmmaking – there were nearly 60 Hollywood features shot in large format, with many more released in special engagements as 35mm-to-70mm blow-ups (which still offered superior sound and image quality to their 35mm counterparts). This time around we’re pleased to offer an ultra-rare 70mm screening of AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS (at 30 fps), SOUTH PACIFIC (beautifully restored), Franklin Schaffner’s Oscar-winning PATTON and Douglas Trumbull’s cerebral sci-fi epic BRAINSTORM (which was also Natalie Eood’s final film before her tragic death). Please join us and take a look at the big pictures in 70mm.

Series compiled by Jeff Joseph and Chris D.

Special Thanks: Marilee Womack/WARNER BROTHERS; Schawn Belston & Caitlin Robertson/20th CENTURY FOX; Cary Haber/CRITERION PICTURES; Ray Regis/NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF THE ARTS; Douglas Crapo & Phil Fornabio/SAMUEL GOLDWYN COMPANY; Sabucat Productions.

Friday, May 5 – 7:30 PM

Rare Todd-AO 30 fps 70mm Print!

AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS, 1956, Warner Bros., 183 min. This is an original Todd-AO, 30 frames-per-second print; one of the only ones that survives! Very slightly faded color, but in excellent condition otherwise, and a once in a lifetime chance to see the version of the film that won five 1957 Academy Awards (one for Best Picture)! This version is not available on DVD (the DVD is the 24 fps version). Director Michael Anderson adapts Jules Verne’s world-famous classic following turn-of-the-20th-Century gentleman adventurer, Phileas Fogg (David Niven) and his manservant, Passpartout (Cantinflas) as they circle the globe in a hot air balloon. Complete with an astounding cast (some in blink-and-you-miss-‘em cameos) that includes Noel Coward, Charles Boyer, John Gielgud, Shirley MacLaine, Frank Sinatra, Ronald Colman, Buster Keaton, Marlene Dietrich, Robert Newton, Peter Lorre, George Raft, Gilbert Roland and more!

Saturday, May 6 – 6:00 PM

Double Feature:

Brand New Restored 70mm Print!

SOUTH PACIFIC, 1958, The Samuel Goldwyn Company, 151 min. Dir. Joshua Logan. Come see this ultra-rare screening of the restored 70mm musical that has it all, including one of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s most popular show tunes, "Some Enchanted Evening". Mitzi Gaynor and Rossano Brazzi are star-crossed lovers on the Solomon Islands – she’s from Little Rock, Arkansas and he’s an expatriate Frenchman – threatened by the growing conflict with the Japanese during WWII. Co-starring a great cast, including John Kerr, Juanita Hall, Ray Walston and France Nuyen.

Original 70mm Roadshow Version!

SOUTH PACIFIC, 1958, The Samuel Goldwyn Company, 171 min. (For all those of you who’d like to stick around and see what was cut out of the film before it went into general release – Note: Print is faded) (See above description).

Sunday, May 7 – 6:30 PM

Brand New 70mm Print!

PATTON, 1970, 20th Century Fox, 169 min. Dir. Franklin J. Schaffner. "No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country," growls George C. Scott in the jawdropping opening monologue to PATTON, a war epic that manages to capture the tragic human sacrifice, the bullying megalomania and the patriotic glory of battle, all encapsulated in the incredibly complex and contradictory character of General George S. Patton. Winner of seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Actor, Director and Screenplay (by Francis Ford Coppola and Edmund H. North.)

Wednesday, May 10 – 7:30 PM

Ultra-Rare 70mm Screening!

BRAINSTORM, 1983, Warner Bros., 106 min. In virtual reality mode, scientists Louise Fletcher and Christopher Walken invent a way of recording internalized life experiences for later playback, something that transforms the tragic complications that follow into a transcendent, life-changing adventure for Walken and spouse, Natalie Wood (luminously beautiful in her final film appearance). Director Douglas Trumbull (award-winning effects expert for 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, et. al.) had to wage an uphill battle to complete the film after Wood’s untimely death, but he still manages to pull out the stops in a series of jawdropping sequences that must be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated. With Cliff Robertson.

http://americancinematheque.com/mastercalendar.htm

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Wish I could... enjoy em with an extra big smile for me Steve :D

...sounds like South Pacific needs a special edition DVD with 20 minutes added... :sigh:

Why doesn't the roadshow version count? Wouldn't a fully restored version of South Pacific be the roadshow version?

Anyway... seeing it at The Egyptian :cool:

3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Original roadshow version ran 171 minutes. 20 minutes were edited for general release, subsequently shown in theaters, television, and home video. These scenes were:

A non-musical bridge during the song "Bloody Mary" in which Mary attempts to sell a shrunken head to a sea-bee. Mary calls him a "stingy stinker," and it resumes with the chorus of the song.

Stewpot and another sea-bee tease Luther.

As Luther explains to Cable what goes on on the island of Bali Ha'i, he sings a short reprise of the song of that name.

Luther argues with Captain Brackett about the grass skirts.

Lt. Hardison explains his relationship with Nellie Forbush.

Much of the scene at Bali Ha'i, including shots of Cable and Billis's entry to the island, and much of the Boar's Tooth ceremony.

After the party, Emile's surprise was originally him putting a towel on his head and singing "I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Outa My Hair," and then his children walked out
    Luther complains about the absence of gas for the generator during rehearsals
    Luther asks a nurse about Nellie as the ships go out.

With overture, ent'racte, and exit music, this complete cut was approximately 175 minutes.

"It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" was also shown in a few different versions. I have the video version which is longer than the DVD. I won't buy the shorter version on the DVD (and the cover art is crap)

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Which one of these do you plan to see, Steve?

5. Steve Hoffman

Around The World In 80 Days. The 30 frame version is practically a lost film; different acting performances from the more common theatrical version and the DVD, Laser, VHS, etc.

Victor Young music score is mixed differently as well. The late Fred Hynes' (inventor of Todd-AO sound) original mix. 6 channel mag sound.

6. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I'd love to see this!

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Thread fart: Does anyone know if any of Brainstorm was shot in Showscan? I'd heard that at least part of it was, perhaps the VR segments? If so, was it EVER exhibited that way? Thanks.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Edited. Sorry for the double dip.

P.S. NO, to anser my question above, according to IMDB.com. Too many budget restrictions to build theaters capable of showing the film in Showscan. There may have been segments filmed in the 70mm/60fps process, but it wasn't ever exhibited that way. The initial plan was for all of the "Brainstorm" segments to be shot in Showscan, while all the other scenes would be shot at 30fps, and double printed to the 60fps print. This way, the normal segments would look like a normal film, then the Brainstorm bits would come alive at full 60fps resolution. Interestin'.

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Steve, you're killing me - I sure wish I still lived in LA :(

10. apileocole

Thank you for the great info pig whisperer :thumbsup: Alas, here's further thread borrowing ;) - but doesn't the R&H Estate have the elements for the scenes? Any hope for a complete DVD or it? It's not a fav film of mine but I'd still like to see the whole bloomin' thing. :)

11. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

double post. Computer is very slow today. . .

12. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

No problem. I found it on IMDB. I seem to have cut off the description for the first one. Here it is again:

A non-musical bridge during the song "Bloody Mary" in which Mary attempts to sell a shrunken head to a sea-bee. Mary calls him a "stingy stinker," and it resumes with the chorus of the song.

13. apileocole

I'd heard of it before; I'm curious how lost the Todd-AO 30fps / Fred Hynes mix proper version is. Literally lost, as in the fading prints are all that's left and no new issue could be made if someone wanted to, or lost as in simply not viewed much owing to the prevailance of the standard version?

...and I'm thinkin' I'm not alone in wishing Steve could mix/master an expanded soundtrack release :D Has anyone seen the prices the old MCA CD is fetching? wow...

14. Steve Hoffman

The mix still exists in the form of the "Print Safety" 6 track 35mm mag. However, it has been edited to match the 1968 "short version". Please note that this mix was not done at Todd-AO but at MGM per instructions from Mike Todd. Thanks to Jeff and I it was reunited with the picture elements after 30 years away from the camera negative. :)

As to picture neg: They have the 1968 30 ips recut but it's missing about 20 minutes of negative trims. Typical UA bullsheet. Jeff and I have been through all of the vaults regarding this movie: UA, Warner Bros. Pictures, Todd-AO. I'd say that we are the top experts on this film anywhere. Not trying to brag but we went on a 10 year odyssey to restore this movie and failed miserably. Not to say we couldn't do it with a little trickery, but it would cost a million bucks. We would need to combine the safety seps, etc. Mike Todd wanted ALL copies of this movie to be printed from the original camera negs in 1956. They did the SAME in 1968 for the cut down reissue. The 1983 even more cut down version was made from an interneg. It was only AFTER that time that someone said "We better make some safety seps". Trims were left in a box and chucked that same year. Problem is that over the years the 24 and 30 frame elements were mixed up with each other, etc. Yikes! So, it's a puzzle. All it would take is money and no one wants to spend it. Such is life!

This is one "Best Picture Oscar Winner" that is truly a lost film in the original roadshow version..

15. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I'd like to see BRAINSTORM in 70mm. Saw it once in a not so great theater, have the laserdisc with not so great stereo and the DVD which deserves a major overall revision. Much of the visual impact of this movie is lost on video. Last night, TCM was showing OKLAHOMA in widescreen but don't think it was the 30fps version and few weeks ago it showed "How The West Was Won" in its Cinerama glory. At times, it almost had a 3-D effect to it.

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

This is one of the things I really miss about living in LA. When I lived there in the early 90s, Cineplex Odeon in Hollywood had a Sunday morning film series where they'd show "recent classics". They had the Star Wars Trilogy and the Raiders Trilogy and my favorite, "Blade Runner". The print they used for "Blade Runner" turned out to be a beautiful 70mm work print and was apparently what triggered the studio to revisit the film for the Director's Cut. I enjoyed those Sunday mornings so much even though I couldn't get anyone to go with me since they were so early!

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

BRAINSTORM...mmmm...Natalie Wood in 70mm...!

Yeah, it truly does suck not living in LA sometimes; I was a film student, and projection systems and their various results fascinate me.

18. Steve Hoffman

Not to pointlessly brag again but it was Jeff Joseph and I (nosing around the Todd-AO vaults) who stumbled upon the "Director's Cut" of BLADE RUNNER; unprojected since the day the print was struck. We got the word out and the next thing we knew, bingo, the print was being used to make a new home video version.... Where is my finders fee! :)

19. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Nice!

I saw "Grand Prix" when it was released originally (1967) in 70mm Cinerama format. It was amazing! They used the 3 projectors, and a very large screen.

20. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I agree. I was lucky to see it in 70mm when it first came out, it was visually breathtaking.

21. Steve Hoffman

Sorry to disagree with you but that was a single camera shoot and it was projected in 70mm with only one projector. I agree it might have seemed like three, but really it wasn't....Three projector Cinerama was over way before then.

22. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Makes me wish I lived closer to Seattle, so I could catch a lot of the "lost" films that are shown at the SIFF.

23. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Don't be sorry. I was 13 at the time. :)

To do this day, there has never been another motion picture made about motor racing that even remotely comes close to what John Frankenheimer created making this movie. "Super Speedway", of course, is an IMAX movie. So, it's unfair to compare the two.

24. Steve Hoffman

I agree, a very exciting film. I saw it at the lowly Reseda Theater in 35mm scope back in 1968 and it was great.

25. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

Do they ever play 70 mm films in Toronto and if so where can I find that information? I've never seen a 70 mm movie. Sorry if this is off topic, but you guys in Hollywood are a lucky bunch :thumbsup:

PS That new showing of South Pacific sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.