70 Mm Festival: "Around The World In 80 Days" 30 frame version comments and questions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esa

esa Forum Resident

So, what did you think, Steve?
    I was a bit disappointed by the "red-shift" in the print, and there were several instances of a repetitive *popping* sound in the soundtrack.

That being said, it was still fun to be there - great movie. :righton:

Tonight, they're screening Patton - hope to see you there!

:D

~esa

2. gluvox

gluvox New Member

I caught the first showing of South Pacific - wonderful. Amazing visuals and color and the score - wow. Did anyone see the longer print they showed after? What were the deleted scenes?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That print really has degraded in the past five years. Eastman Color, grrrrrrr. Technicolor couldn't make a 70mm print in the old days so all of the 70's are fading to red. Such is life! Great Victor Young score, eh?

4. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Every planet starts gettin' kinda reminiscent of The Angry Red Planet... :sigh:
    A couple of parts I really love are the colorful scoring accompanying David and Shirley looking out the window of the steam train (that section's not on the soundtrack dagnabbit), the Spanish section as the balloon's landing into the tavern, the big ole brass with contrasting light touches as we pan into the Paris station and the swelling, weaving strings during that shot of the boat Cantinflas wakes on. :) Wonderful :thumbsup:

5. Steve Hoffman

Steam train? You mean in India or in the USA section? The Indian section is on the soundtrack album.. Called "India Countryside".

6. apileocole

Right, there's India Countryside, and lovely it is (love the tempo shifts in that too). Yes I meant the USA train section :) They even slip in that partial banjo lick iirc while showing the donkey (?)... brings a smile, and we see them smile too. It has such a joyful feel, that film, really a pleasure.

7. Steve Hoffman

Yes, agreed. The "Transcontinental Railway" section. That was filmed on a real train (ya think?) No back projection allowed...

Did you notice in the India train sequence that when they go over the bridge the train whistle is in the same key as the music score? I love that sequence the best in the film.

8. apileocole

Yeah and what a visual treat to "ride" on that - folks often cite the film as being too long but I'm very glad it stretches to afford us wonderful moments like these. It's about the journey not just getting to a destination, which reflects the lesson in the story perfectly. Would you happen to know if those particular stretches of track may still be travelled? I think part of it is a scenic line, or was? A fine idea for a vacation methinks...
    Well give me a Silvertone and call me Joe Lewis Walker, I never noticed! Cantinflas in that scene, his expressions as he takes it in, and only finally rolls up the shade... then his expression as it quickly comes right back down next morn - love it :D

9. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Was 3 strip used in this production? Thought that has disappeared by the early 50's?

Is the original, longer prologue on the DVD? Was really looking forward to seeing this. I remember it from the original showing at the Carthay Circle run way back when first & last time I saw it. Forgot about Dietrich! Do remember the suspense & long take of Sinatra at the the piano.

10. Steve Hoffman

Get the DVD! It's the long version; really long version.

80 Days was shot on Eastman stock in 70mm. Each scene with dialog was shot twice; first with the 70mm camera at 24 frames and then with a 70mm camera with film going at 30 frames per second.

The 35mm version was processed in IB Technicolor from the 70mm negative. The 35 prints will never fade. Problem, the 35 prints are all the 24 frame version. In other words, the "alternate take" performances. Only the 30 frame 70mm version has the final "A takes". This is the version (turning to red) that was projected at the Egyptian. See why the CORRECT version of this movie is almost impossible to restore?

11. TeacFan

Thanks Steve !
    Dumb question....Why the faster speed? Less jiggle? Sorta like recording 15 vis 30 ips?

12. Steve Hoffman

That was the idea, yes. Turns out no one could tell the damn difference anyway.

13. TeacFan

LOL Oh Man !! Thanks for being upfront.

14. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I'd never thought twice about this movie before this thread... but I just happen to run into a perfect mint / like new copy on laserdisc at the used music store Friday night and I picked it up for $5.00. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I'd assume the laserdisc pressing of this title was the best thing prior to the DVD release?

15. Steve Hoffman

Pan and Scan version. You'll tolerate it but that's about it.

16. Steve Hoffman

That was part of a scenic railway, yes. If you noticed in the scene where they stopped to let the buffalo pass (an amazing event) the name of the train was discretely covered up by a bush, heh. No idea if it is still there; hope so.

Remember, in 1956 almost no one had traveled the world and seen many sites other than their home towns. This movie thrilled audiences back then in a way that we cannot even imagine today. Even the wonder of having so many "cameo" stars in one film has totally been lost on us. The shock of seeing Ronald Coleman as a train conductor or Sir Noel Coward or Frank Sinatra as a honky tonk piano player, etc. must have been extreme to audiences in 1956. What Mike Todd had to do to convince all of those 60 stars to take walk on parts like that could be a book by itself. Mike Todd coined a word to describe his walk on stars. He called them "cameos" and that name has stuck to this very day. A very great man!

17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

He was the only guy married to Liz Taylor that didn't divorce her.

18. Steve Hoffman

I think if he had lived their marraige would have lasted. She truly loved him and never got over his death.

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

Sorry i missed this - had to go back east for a wedding (ironically Rochester, home of Eastman Kodak).

Anyone catch any of the other flicks?

20. esa

esa Forum Resident

I was there for the screening of "Patton" on Sunday, the 7th.

I was really impressed with the color and clarity of the print. I'd never seen it on a big screen before - it was fantastic!

A great print of a great film in a great theater with great sound... what more could you want?

:righton:

21. Steve Hoffman

What more? A theater filled with respectful fans who turn off their cell phones and don't jabber during the movie. Fortunately the Egyptian has just that! Come to the 3D Festival and find out!

22. TeacFan

If it were only so...Was in the balcony (wonderful!) for 80 day's & the couple next to us chattered like they were at the Avalon. During the opening "short" she pulled out her cell. They were both had other agenda's, I guess. Got up and moved & they kept it up. What were they doing there??? I guess I am just not made for these video game times.
    (getting my walker & going home)....

23. apileocole

There were 2 lasers. First was awful. Second had deeper, better image and livelier sound. I had the second. The print is cobbled together, has lots of splices and other "artifacts" and is missing a minute or so of film (during the Cantinflas / Indian Wild West section). The picture transfer is cropped (pan n scan), exhibits minor image and color instability and other stuff associated with '80's video transfers. Sound has a startlingly obvious total dropout for several seconds, some awkward moments with the mix down and so on but is in stereo and relatively strong. In other words, what home video companies in the '80's passed off as quality. It was the best before the DVD and I suppose is interesting in that sense. For $5, hey. Have some popcorn, put your feet up for a good long spell and enjoy with a smile. But trust Steve and I, ya oughtta go with the DVD. It took years before it came out on DVD but they did a fine job of it. :thumbsup: Understand the videos are all from the "B take" 35mm 24fps 'scope versions.

Regarding the 70mm 30fps like 80 Days & Oklahoma! I was curious if they can transfer 70mm 30ips to video now or if a reduction print is needed. Anyone know? The video/film frame rate stuff gives me a headache :p

24. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

In the case of "Oklahoma!", it was transferred twice from the 65mm negative at 30fps. The first one on LaserDisc looks pretty good. The second transfer for DVD looks soft and has sparked a ton of complaints to 20th Century Fox.

Derek

25. apileocole

That was from the original negative? :cry: Oh shoot. I'd assumed it was actually a reduction or interneg etc... and a badly aging one. The flickering and other issues at times are pretty awful (esp during The Farmer and the Cowman iirc). I'd heard the deluxe films as a whole were in a bad spot, in part due to the eastman tech, and in part due to 20th-Century Fox's ages-late, too many $ short preservation "efforts." Hope better can be had... Or maybe they're better back with the 'scope vers? Seem to recall the old widescreen LD I have of that looking better. Perhaps it was an IB Technicolor print.

Since 65mm can be transfered to video at 30fps ok I'm assuming that there are no suitable sources to transfer 30fps vers of Around the World to video, and that is why the 24fps is used for the DVD. It's a shame when a film can't be shown theatrically in original shape, but when it can't even be arranged for video, hrmph. :mad: And for such a wonderful film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.