Steve Hoffman: Nice Statement in March STEREOPHILE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tubeman, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Just saw your quote in the new issue of stereophile. Nice.
    Logical Reasons for choosing less than complete accuracy in a system. Cool

2. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Can you post it here please for those of us who don't have access to Stereophile?

Thanks

3. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Sure, glad to do it.

As I have tried to demonstrate, there are logical reasons for choosing less
    than complete accuraacy in a system. Indeed, even such a highly regarded recording engineer as Steve Hoffman sometimes finds a less accurate system to be preferable to one that is more accurate:
    "Now, I have more than one system. My mastering system is accurate, boring and very useful to me in my work. I don't listen in there for pleasure. Not that it doesn't sound good--It does, but it's too accurate to be any fun. In some of my other systems, I can spread out a little." (www.netassoc.net/dougspage/HoffHardware.htm ). Hoffman's brief statement says a mouthful.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, that's Steve's preference. I would still prefer a totally accurate system. Just the way I am.

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

How do you know that your system is accurate?

6. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Note to Steve: If the system you use isn't accurate under the HoffHardware.htm link, please E-mail or PM the correct information. Thanks.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

What is a totally accurate system? Pop/rock music is such an artificial studio construct to begin with that it seems pointless to aspire to accuracy, whatever that means, in its reproduction. I could understand this desire more if one only listened to jazz or classical recordings.

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

In this context, I assume "accuracy" means accurate reproduction of the sound as it is encoded on the playback medium, not the original performance (if, indeed, there was ever really a "performance" at all). In other words, an accurate system in this sense would be one that plays the sound of the CD, LP, tape, or whatever that you put into it, adding as little of its own characteristic distortions or colorations as possible. Those characteristic distortions and colorations might be highly pleasing as a listening experience, but for professional purposes--or even for amateur purposes of evaluation or historical or technical understanding--they might be misleading.

I'm no professional myself, but that's the sense of the term I've gathered from reading what the many pros on this list have said.

L.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Well, you do home-brewed mastering work, so it kinda makes sense that you would be that way. If you did all of that kind of stuff at work and only listened for pleasure at home, you might feel otherwise.

Regards,

10. Grant

LOts of time, money, and effort.

I don't have an accurate system, but that's what I would want, since I have one of those mastering mindsets. I like to hear flaws in the music.

11. Grant

You want to reproduce the source as accurately as possible, no matter how the source recording was produced. So, there IS a reason to aspire to one.

I'm not trying to get the performance back, just the recording of it.

12. Grant

I do home mastering type stuff. But, i'm not like most people. I enjoy being able to hear painful flaws in recordings. So, if I fix them up, at least I can tell that it's exactly what I want.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Some people confuse accuracy with hyper-detail. The latter is not musical.

However, extra accuracy/resolution I have found can make a system more musical as long as its natural sounding. If someone is exposed to live music and real instrument playing tonality then its easy to know what is natural.

14. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Steve has the upper hand on us guys when it comes to judging if our systems are accurate reproducers of a recording.

Think about it.

He's in the studio mixing Bad Company or whoever and he gets to hear it, as he said, on an accurate, boring system. Probably more accurate then we could imagine. Not just because of the equipment he's put together over the years but also the acoustics in the studio have been properly taken care of too. Then he takes the finished product home and hears it on a couple of stereo systems he has there. He can hear first hand what his home system has added or taken away from the original recording.

We can't hear what's been added or taken away by our system because we hear it on different equipment than what it was mixed on AND we hear it in a different room also. There is just no way to compare the recording to anything that the people in the studio heard. We can only make a judgment on whether it sounds good or not to our ears and then make only a guesstimate to how accurate our systems are in reproducing it.

Just my opinion of course :) .

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Taken out of context my passage in Stereophile could sound a little, well, wonky. For those who asked via email what exactly I'm using now, I've made an accurate list below.

Please note: All of my systems sound like music. Some gear listed below is more fun than others to listen to certain types of music on, that's all. All of the gear below sounds great. All of the gear below sounds different from each other! (Is that good English?) I use all in my work as well as pleasure. Several pieces of gear below I'm writing reviews on for Tone Audio magazine. Most listed below are long-term manufacturer loans. I only use gear I like. A piece of gear I do not like I return immediately. Got all that? :)

My gear right now consists of this; subject to change:

Turntable:
    Thorens 160, Thorens 2001, Thorens TD-124 with ESL arm. Acoustic: Columbia Grafanola, Victor Orthophonic, Edison Standard, Edison Gem, Brunswick 117

Cartridge:
    Signet TK10ML Moving Magnet, Shure V15, Shure M95ED, Shure M44 for 78's, steel needles for acoustic machines.. :^)

Tuner:
    Marantz 10B, McIntosh MR-71, Sherwood S-3000

Digital Front End:
    Sony SACD-777 two channel player, YBA Audio Refinement Complete Alpha CD Player, Fostex DA-10 DAT

CD Recorder:
    HHB Professional

Analog Front End:
    Ampex 351-2-P tube tape deck, Ampex 440-4 tape deck, modified Tascam BR-20, Teac A-4300SX tape deck, Viking 88 tube tape deck

Pre Amplifier:
    Emotive Audio Epifania, deHavilland Mercury 2, Emotive Audio Circa phono, Joule Electra LA-150, Grover "GroverStage", Sutherland Ph.D. Phono, Marantz 7C, McIntosh MX-110, Danish LA Audio MM phono

Amplification:
    Concert Fidelity 6B4G monoblocks, Wavac EC-300B SET amp, deHavilland Aries 845-G, Grover "Groverblocks", Pacific Creek Separo SE300I integrated, Marantz 8B, McIntosh MC-30's, Dynakit ST-70, Sherwood integrated S-5000 II, Pioneer QX-949 Quad receiver

Headphone System:
    Really old Koss cans, Sennheiser HD-600, JVC 4 CHANNEL 5944 (QUAD)

Speaker System:
    Penaudio Serenade, Venture Grand Excellence Mk III, Tetra 506 LTD Custom, ESP Bodhrand SE, ESP Concert Grand II's, Rogers BBC LS3/5a, 1967 Tannoy Gold 15" Lancaster, Definitive Technology SuperCube Reference subwoofer, Whatmough 202 Leadlined, Legacy Victoria Custom

Speaker Cables:
    Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion bi-wired and single wired

Interconnects:
    Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion interconnects and power cables

System Rack:
    Symposium Acoustics Isis Custom

Other Accessories:
    Universal Audio EQ, GML parametric EQ, Klark-Teknik graphic EQ, Running Springs Audio Danielle & Duke power devices, Teletronix LA-2A leveling amplifiers, Ampex MX-35 tube mixer, RCA tube testers, Symposium Acoustics vibration devices, Shakti Stones (one each on Danielle and Duke)

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It seems that a lot of people (myself included) like the sound of gear such as tube amps that introduce "warmth" or other qualities to music that are not necessarily accurate.

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Everything's a tradeoff, but eventually you find your bliss.

18. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Hi Steve

Nice comments about SACD! To my ears SACD is the best medium I've ever heard.

..."too accurate to be any fun" regarding your mastering system...Everyone here would like to applaud that statement!

...this from some of us, who play a stereo pair of speakers and surround sound system simultaneously.

:cheers: Thank you!

19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

How long-term are the loans typically?

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Steve, did you mean the SCD-777ES...the older tank of a player in black?

Good point but the original recording engineer may have even deeper insights!

21. Steve Hoffman

That's the one; a gift from the SONY people. Very nice machine.

22. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Steve, did you re-acquire a McIntosh MX-110? I thought I remembered you saying you had owned one but sold it off a while back. Just curious. Us MX-110 owners love hearing about your personal experiences with a preamp that we use too! Especially when you talk about echo! :D

23. Steve Hoffman

Yes, I reacquired one.. I needed it for a project and decided to keep it..

24. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What is modified in the BR-20?

25. Steve Hoffman

The playback amplifier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.