New Order Ceremony b/w In a Lonley Place

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I'm looking for the original version of Ceremony that was recorded before Gillian joined the band. I know this version has never been on CD. Do all Factory 7" contain the original version? Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

3. Chris M

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have the original 7" single... and I never knew that the versions that appear on CD are all different than that original single. I will have to give a listen and compare (although I do not have the newest Singles compilation).

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The version on 'Substance' isn't the same as the orignal single?

6. Chris M

Nope. The version on Substance is a later recording that feature Gillian on keyboards. New Order recorded an earlier version as a 3 piece shortly after Ian's suicide.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ian Gillian committed suicide? Did I miss this?

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That's Gillan, smarty...:D

:ed: [​IMG]

9. Chris M

I guess that was supposed to be a joke? I can't tell. FWIW Ian Curtis was the lead singer of Joy Division. After he took his own life in 1980 Joy Division changed their name to New Order and added keyboardist Gillian Gilbert. Yes, I am aware of Ian Gillian of Deep Purple fame...

10. Chris M

Apparently the recent New Order singles comp *does* have the original 7 inch version of Ceremony. This would be it's first appearence on CD..

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I don't have the 7 inch 45, but I do have the 12 inch 45.
    Are they the same versions?
    Dark green cover
    Ceremony 22/1/81 FAC 33/12A
    In A Lonely Place 22/1/81 FAC 33/12B

12. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

If that is the case then about time. The re-recorded version is poor in comparison and sounded like a demo. This has been the version included on compilations.

13. markl

markl Senior Member

Can I ask a really dumb question that's been bugging me for years? What does "b/w" stand for? :hide:

14. Chris M

Ceremony "backed with" In a Lonley Place

15. markl

markl Senior Member

That's what I always thought it must mean, thanks.

16. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat.

I thought that the 7" was the re-recorded version, but my memory on this is a little fuzzy so I'm not really sure...

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Here's the cover of the 12 inch:

Attached Files:

18. Chris M

Speaking of Ceremony I just listened to a demo of said song that was recorded at Western Works 6 weeks after Curtis' suicide. Amazingly drummer Stephen Morris handles the vocals on Ceremony and a few other tracks :eek: Peter Hook sings one or 2 songs and Bernard sings one track. Very strange.

The best version of Ceremony for me is the live version done at Curtis' final gig. It can be found on Still..

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I prefer the re-recorded version, which I associate with the blue and white Factory 12". It's the 7" version that sounds like a demo to me.

20. Chris M

It's a shame they never did a proper studio version as Joy Division. Curtis' singing on the live version on Still is one of the most intense things I've ever heard. Also a shame the recording didn't capture all of his vocals..

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Unless I'm mistaken (don't have it in front of me) the Heart and Soul box contains a rehearsal recording of "Ceremony" with Ian Curtis on lead vocals.

22. Chris M

It does but it's a pretty rough recordings and (I think) it runs too slow on Heart and Soul. Of course, the live version on Still is with Ian.

23. sf74

sf74 Active Member

The original 7" of Ceremony (with the embossed "copper" cover) has the original 3-piece New Order version.

I believe early copies of the 12" single (blue sleeve) have the 3-piece original.

The green 12" single has the later 4-piece version.

The 3-piece version of Ceremony made it's first official appearance on the "Singles" collection.

It's a shame that "Run 2" is still the LP version on said Singles collection.

24. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

My blue and white 12" has the four-piece version, I'm pretty sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.