New Order Ceremony b/w In a Lonley Place

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

My blue and white 12" version has the 4 piece recording. The 7" single version was never released as a 12" single as far as I know.

2. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

Yeah, but you can hear him like a ghost off-mike, presumably from equipment malfunction, before he comes crashing in. I bought this when it came out & it sounded pretty spooky under the circumstances.

John

3. htom

htom Senior Member

This link may help, it suggests it may all boil down to finding out what is etched into the deadwax...at least as far as vinyl is concerned.

http://www.niagara.edu/neworder

Click on "singles"

Howard

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

You're right. Also, there is a good quality audience tape that captures the unique intro to Ceremonoy that the soundboard reocrding didn't capture. There is also a soundcheck version with Ian from his last concert doing tha rounds..

5. htom

htom Senior Member

This recording has always confused me, as it suggests that Curtis sings the chorus twice before he sings the first verse. My totally unfounded suspicion was that this version pieces together two or three different source tapes, and in the process of splicing them together we hear the same chorus vocal one after the other...but then it doesn't explain why none of them capture the intro. Irregardless, I agree about the impact, this is a thunderous performance.

Howard

6. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

That's simply not true. My green 12" has the original 3 piece version. The blue/white 12" has the re-recorded one.

7. This is the right answer! BUT when the new (4 piece version) was released, there were reports of people buying the green-sleeved 12" only to find it contained the new version. My guess is that stocks of the old version ran out, never to be re-pressed, and left-over green sleeves were - very sloppily - used up. I only know this because I read about it in an article published at the time in which hardcore Division/Order collectors debated this very issue.

8. sf74

sf74 Active Member

yes, you're both correct. there's more info on NewOrderOnline.com

9. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yes, and "c/w" is "coupled with", not "country western"!

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm wondering just how different the two versions are. I had the green 12" (never owned the 7") and, when 'Substance' came out, dumped it along with the others. I don't remember noticing any difference in the recordings.

Either I got a late pressing of the 12" or I REALLY wasn't paying attention. :shake: Now I feel dumb.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The 7" mix as featured on Singles is radically different from the 12" mix that most fans are familiar with.

12. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I have the first 3-piece version after all. :righton:

Green sleeve 12 inch
    Deadwax:

Ceremony:
    FAC33A1
    EG
    WATCHING LOVE GROW - FOREVER
    TOWNHOUSE
    In A Lonely Place:
    FAC33B1