don't forget; season premieres of 'House' 'Bones' and 'Gilmore Girls' tonight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

gonna be a long night in front of the idiot box.

I have high expectations that this season of 'House' is gonna be an improvement. I really liked the first season, but I was kinda annoyed at the episodic structure. here's hoping this season there's more of long story arc. or maybe even two.

I've only ever watched the occasional episode of 'Gilmore Girls' (usually the ones written by ex-'Buffy' writers like Jane Espenson or Rebecca Kirshner), and some of them were okay, but I really have a hard time caring much about the characters. or the contrived wacky situations they find themselves in. but I'm gonna try and make an effort to watch a least one season all the way through. everybody else seems to think this show is something special, I must be missing something. of course, I said the same thing last year about 'Alias' and only made it to the half-way mark before losing all interest.

whether 'Bones' will be any good or not I do not know.

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I'm one of a rare breed--a guy who willingly watches Gilmore Girls. It's not my usual type of show--I got into it mainly because I liked Lauren Graham's four-episode guest stint on NewsRadio. I think the earlier seasons were better, but it's still a quality show. You might want to pick up the S1 DVD on the cheap somewhere (I'm sure there are used copies out there) to compare it to the upcoming season.

3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I am a man, and Gilmore Girls might be my favorite show on the tube...

The strongest competition - 24!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Gilmore Girls is one of the few shows that my wife and I both look forward to watching each week. The Tivo will be picking up Bones as well as I am curious and somewhat encouraged after reading reviews.

Regards,

5. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I'd encourage you to check out House as well. A friend told me about it and it sat around on the Tivo for a few weeks, but once I started watching I was hooked. Agree with the above comment, but the characters -- especially House himself -- really make it a great show. Expecting an even better second season.

6. 93curr

slate has a pretty discouraging review of Bones here http://www.slate.com/id/2126226/

still, as a 'Buffy' fanatic, I'm obligated to watch anything with even the most minimal involvement of the cast or crew (well, maybe not 'Ice Princess.' I may be a fanatic, but I'm not nuts.) just so I can at least have an opinion.

(eh, maybe I am nuts. whadda I know? I did sit through every episode of 'Point Pleasant' and I did pay to see both 'Scooby Doo' and 'American Wedding.' but at least I'm not proud of it.)

7. Ken_McAlinden

As long as you didn't pay real money to see the Scooby Doo sequel, there's still hope for you... :)

Regards,

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

You said it! :D

Me, I'm watching ANIMAL COPS HOUSTON and that's it.

9. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I'm intrigued by "Bones" because Kathy Reichs, whose books are the basis for the series, is one of my favorite authors.

10. ubik333

ubik333 Active Member

Gilmore Girls is the only reason I would watch a network television series.
    Dialogue, evolving storyline, acting - all first rate, and some of the most engaging (and some of the most infuriating) characters in any series I've ever seen - a tribute to the acting and the scripts.
    At times like these, I certainly realize how trivial my concern is - but I hope Ophelia leaves my satellite reception alone from 8 to 9 tonight.

Jerry

11. 93curr

I live in Canada. we don't pay real money for anything. :p

12. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Hey, I thought Point Pleasant was a good show, and it seemed like it was just starting to get on a roll when FOX sacked it. :shake:

At first I thought Numb3rs was my favourite new show on network last year and I posted as such just a couple of days ago in another thread, but I have reconsidered and given that title to House. I'm looking forward to series 2, and I will also check out Bones (I was also a huge 'Buffy' fan). Other new shows I'm looking forward to are Surface, Threshold, Night Stalker and Supernatural. I've already started watching Prison Break.

As far as returning network shows:

Medium
    Lost
    Alias
    Veronica Mars
    Desperate Housewives
    Charmed
    Smallville
    Arrested Development
    Numb3rs

and that's not counting cable! :eek:

Thankfully, I have 3 HD Tivos. :D

13. 93curr

wow. 'Bones' was REALLY disappointing. one dimensional characters spouting embarrassing dialogue, awkward chemistry, a lame plot and the music was just awful. lose the songs and hire a new composer, please! sappy and maudlin (which, to be fair, matches the plot). unless this thing gets a LOT better real soon, I'm out.

final report:

Bones - D
    House - A
    Gilmore Girls - B

14. Ken_McAlinden

I live just north of Windsor. It may not be real, but your money sure is pretty. :)

In any case, I kinda liked Bones. It was saddled with a bit too much of that pilot episode exposition thing, and I had to laugh at the technology overkill (let's create a hologram that will be 100x more expensive and harder to look at than a 3-d rendered image on a CRT - That'll be cutting edge :)), but there was at least potential for future goodness.

Regards,

15. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

Let's hope they tap that potential pronto. :shake: I too was disappointed, even though I wasn't expecting much.

David Boreanaz's FBI agent was like a watered-down non-vampire version of some studio exec's brief on his character from Buffy/ANGEL: "Our hero pursues bad guys in an effort to atone for killing a lot of people. Meanwhile he attempts to break through the hard, cool protective veneer of his female lead with dry wit." bleaugh.

16. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

When they use two song breaks in an episode, it's obvious they are padding.

17. 93curr

anybody else giggle at the playing of Adam & The Ants's 'Antmusic' at Rory's "for she's a jolly good felon" party?

after the lame songs used during the "we've gotta have a montage!" scenes on 'Bones' and the fairly predictable use of 'Hallelujah' (what, they couldn't afford the John Cale rendition?) on 'House', this just struck me as funny.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Which version did they use:

Leonard Cohen
    Jeff Buckley
    Rufus Wainright

The Jeff Buckley version is probably the most widely known, but the Rufus Wainright version seems to be a popular license for Universal and/or Dreamworks. IIRC, in "Shrek" they used a censored version (awkwardly editing out the "Maybe there's a God above" line) of the John Cale rendition in the film and put the Rufus Wainright version on the soundtrack CD.

Regards,

19. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

House- a decent start to a new year. I'm not certain where they're going with Selah Ward's character, but they have set her up for some character-softening of House, possibly. Not the best I've seen, but better than most of what's on the tube these days.

Gilmore Girls- They lost me in the second season with the constant repartee between Lorelei and Rory. The wit became pedantic to my ears, overdone and irritating. Still, I tape the shows, hoping for more character and less writing.

Bones- Say what you will, but the first episode was interesting. Sometimes, it takes awhile for a show to find its pace and I'm thinking this one will. Dialogue was a little overdone and the pace was maddening (I could barely process what was said before two other characters were tossing their "scientifically or "psychologically" based two cents in), but it should settle. Anyway, I always thought Meds was one of the better TV programs, yet they were axed without so much as a chance or thank you, so I back the cast at all cost. Michaela Conlin (jeez, I hope I spelled the name right) rocks!

Frank G

20. 93curr

they went with the Jeff Buckley.

21. GoldenBoy

I like the Jeff Buckley version.

22. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Since I can be a mechanical idiot at times, I missed the first half of "Bones." As a longtime Kathy Reichs fan, as I posted earlier, I was much less than enthralled with one I managed to see of the second half of the hour. We shall see next week....

23. Starshine

Starshine New Member

I completely agree with this.
    I really liked this one early on but towards the end of Rory's "high school" years and the beginning of the "college" years it started to be too over the top.

The show is still pretty good but is merely a shadow of what it used to be. I would say the most interesting characters at the moment are probably the Grandparents, who IMO are getting the meatier dialogue.
    I think if they shaped up Lorelei's and Paris' dialogue, the show would improve.

Everyone just talks too fast for their own good.

24. GoldenBoy

I finally watched the House and Bones (as well as Supernatural)premiers on the Tivo last night. I thought the former was very good, but still no major change form the previous year. As for Bones, I see a lot of potential and am optimistic. After all, it was only the pilot episode and pilots are typically not that good. One of the better pilots I recall seeing is the one for Lost, which absolutely hooked me immediately.

On a side note, we are beginning to see the impact that The X-Files has had on television and popular culture. In both Bones and Supernatural, there were references to 'Mulder and Scully'. Funny. Both shows, in a way, are taking elements from The X-Files.

25. Ken_McAlinden

I don't know what that means. :angel:

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.