don't forget; season premieres of 'House' 'Bones' and 'Gilmore Girls' tonight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jblock

jblock Senior Member

My wife and kids just love Gilmore Girls. I just don't get it. The characters are played so much to be perceived as deep and complex, but just come off as completely shallow. And every situation seems like an excuse to make some obscure music or pop culture reference.

Jonathan

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

And there's NO WAY that Rory would be so conversant with ALL of that pop-culture stuff from the 60's and 70's! :laugh:

3. ubik333

ubik333 Active Member

...And I completely disagree with every slam I've read about GG on this thread. Maybe we're just watching different shows - I haven't seen the show recognizibly described on this thread yet.
    For me, this show maintains an evolving storyline with evolving characters to an extent I've only seen successfully attempted by Babylon 5 and The Sopranos - three shows very different in genre but all sharing a fundamental storytelling integrity outside the network formulae. Yes the dialogue is sometimes stylized. As has been mentioned so aften, it's modeled to some extent on the Tracy-Hepburn rapid-fire exchanges - I'd submit that's much more entertaining a platform for comedy than what passes for funny on any other "realistic dialogue" TV (Sopranos excepted). The writing is in no way dumbed down - you're actually asked to pay attention - and while that would be asking for trouble on any other family comedy I could name - here it reveals real people I can honestly say I care about, struggling with genuine issues of parenthood, maturity, adolescence and love. There are precious few other shows that speak to real 21st century issues with humor and good wirting - Curb Your Enthusiasm comes to mind - but it's pretty difficult to give an honest rat's *** about any characters there. Intelligent, articulate people with consciences - a rare sight indeed - at least on TV 2005. Does it idealize the Yale student - perhaps - though I'd much rather believe in Rory as the truth than those two empty suits we had to choose from in 04.

Jerry

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

any girl with a photo of Brian Eno at her workspace is a-okay with me. :agree:

5. Starshine

Starshine New Member

Jerry,

I wasn't trying to say that the show was bad. Quite the contrary, compared to most of what is on TV at the moment it is excellent.

I was just pointing out some of it's weaknesses and some things that make you occasionally cringe a little.

But do not get me wrong, when I do take the time to sit down and watch it, it is quite enjoyable.

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

hey hey you'll give the world the wrong impression!!!! :biglaugh:

I watched Bones with the use of the good old VCR :) - I liked the show, citing Medium as a show I think is great, I was going to give the show a B for Bones :rolleyes: rating but changed it to a C for cause at the climax the bad guy was pouring what looked like gas on the floor next to the tropical fish, no one winced at the smell of gas??? and Bones discharged a weapon, doh! and everyone hung about????

Ok for a pilot!!! I recommend Medium! sorry Bones, but I'll be watching! :D

7. 93curr

last season, House had a super-cool high-end turntable, THIS season he's listening to an iPod!?!?!? :mad:

THIS is not progress. maybe if he gets sick later in the season, it'll be a clue of a symptom.

8. tootull

Bones show #2 :edthumbs:

9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Glad to hear it. I haven't watched it yet; it's still on my HD Tivo. No spoilers please. ;)

10. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Near the end of the show House is in his office, and the SOTA is still there. I'm hoping we'll see some tube amplification this season.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Yeah, I mean why wouldn't they have him walking around with a turntable and tube amp (don't forget your portable generator and insulated gloves when doing this, BTW) when browsing motorcycles for sale? Also, he should definitely have pressed acetates of the sounds of the girl's heart valves so that they could diagnose her in a warm analogue manner. ;)

Regards,

12. 93curr

actually, it reminded me of an (old, early, not very good) 'Buffy' episode, where Xander was captured by a giant praying mantis and was about to have eggs layed in him, and Buffy defeats it, and saves Xander, by playing back recorded bat sonar on a small portable cassette walkman. with a condenser mic and speakers about half an inch in diameter. like that would even pick up or play back the required high freqencies. :sigh: :laugh:

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He's got both. He had both last season, too. Just like most people in the real world. There is a time and place for vinyl, and there's a time and place for portable...

Kwad

14. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Wish I could say the same about House #2. My wife and I have seen every episode and it was our least favorite.

15. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Yes, Bones #2 was better, the interaction played better with everyone I thought. Boreanaz played with a bit more emotional range than the first episode where, to me, he seemed to be rehashing the 1st season Buffy version of Angel.

16. GoldenBoy

What, you didn't like the second episode of House? I thought it was good, even if a bit depressing.

17. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Hated it actually, thought the season premiere was kind of a dud as well. Am sure they'll get back on track soon.

18. 93curr

personally, I'm getting a little tired of seeing patients with unlimited health care. what kind of insurance could this kid's mother have had that they would pay for all those tests and experimental procedures when the symptom is one hallucination?

it would just be nice if money was EVER a factor. 'cause, as iot stands, the show is getting less and less believable. and there's just no need for that.

and also; why would House want to buy a scooter when he has that flashy sports car the Mafia guy bought him last season? iPods, cycles - this guy's downgrading all over the damn place. I wouldn't be surprised if, nex episode, he neglects his hi-def plasma TV for an Etch-A-Sketch. :winkgrin:

19. tootull

:) Bones #3 :edthumbs: The show is off for baseball coverage-returns Nov.1. :cheers:

20. GoldenBoy

Man, this kind of thing is what makes shows get cancelled. People forget about them or lose interest because they're never on. They should have waited until after baseball to debut the new series. :shake:

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...they should shuffle HOUSE to another day while BASEBALL is consuming one of our favorite shows! Not everyone is into SPORTS! Sucks!!!!

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...last nights episode was quite entertaining...although, this show is PURE FANTASY!...so far from reality you have to take it as POPCORN TV!

23. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Loved Tuesday's episode of House. Can't get enough Dr. Cuddy.

24. GoldenBoy

I love Cuddy, she's so cute. :love:

25. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Believe it or not, I saw my first episode of "Gilmore Gils" last night. Maybe it's becuase I'm late to the party, but I don't get why this show is so popular. The dialogue seemes forced. But maybe I'll stick around and see what the fuzz is all albout. I liked Lauren Graham in "Bad Santa" and some of her earlier TV work but this stuff seems too pedestrian for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.