Unique MONO 45 Versions That Are Also In Stereo(Just Not The Right Version!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

NOTE, gang, that this is not about 45 versions that have no stereo master: we've covered that, BSN has covered that, etc., etc. This one's about UNIQUE 45 mixes that have never been issued in stereo, but do have a stereo version...it's just not the right one...:eek:

Examples:

Little Anthony & The Imperials: Goin' Out Of My Head (Diff vocal take); Take Me Back (Different recording, far as I can tell, with effect on vocals)

Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs: The Hair On My Chinny Chin-Chin (Diff vocal take)

Neil Young: Cinnamon Girl

Randy Newman: several, including "You Can Leave Your Hat On" (horn overdubs heard nowhere else)

Mamas & Papas: Creeque Alley (overdubs that missed the 45/Lp version)

This one could get fun...and weird, so be warned there is some frustration to be had, because except for attempted sync-ups or DCS or other parlor games, the versions we'll be digging up will NOT have a stereo version that matches enough to say 'even close'....

:ed:

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Like these?

Beatles "Help!" - different mix and vocals
    Otis Redding "I've Been Loving You Too Long" - different take

3. Ed Bishop

Yes, like those! :edthumbs:

We can add to that Otis' "Respect" also, since it too was rerecorded in stereo for the OTIS BLUE album, but is not so obviously different as "I've Been Loving You Too Long" is....

4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Drifters: Some Kind Of Wonderful - different vocal take.

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

While we're on The Drifters . . . how 'bout "Up On The Roof"? The mono began instrumentally, and the vocal part was initially just Rudy Lewis (up to " . . . right into space"); the stereo began with the rest of the group chiming in their "Up on the roof" throughout, even before the instrumental began (not just that, but also accompanying Mr. Lewis on the aforementioned first verse).

Or "Under The Boardwalk," which has a somewhat different vocal take between mono and stereo; the former has "We'll be falling in love" in all renditions of the chorus, while the latter has that only on the last rendition, and "We'll be making love" on the first two.

That is, if these examples count . . .

6. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

The Monkees "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You"

The stereo mix we have was made from the incomplete master tape. The master used was from 2/6/67 when the song consisted of one track of backing tracks, one track for Davy's vocal and 2 tracks for backing vocals. This mix would be first used in 1969 for Colgem's "Greatest Hits".
    The original mono mix was lost in 1967 and this stereo mix would be used on compilations until the 1980's when the final overdub session master was found. Then a mono remix will be the tape of choice made new from this master.

YB

7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Roy Orbison "Oh Pretty Woman" - "Come to me baby" in mono. "Come with me baby" in stereo.

8. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

"Magic Carpet Ride" Steppenwolf

"Ole Man Trouble" Otis Redding

"Hold On I'm Comin'" Sam & Dave

9. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Stones - "Get Off of My Cloud", "Satisfaction"(kinda)

Who - "My Generation"

10. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I'm young/ignorant...what was different about the "Cinnamon Girl" 45?

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm old/ignorant and have no idea...

Can someone put up an audio sample?

Same for Buffalo Springfield's MR. SOUL? Two mono versions, LP and 45....

12. Ed Bishop

Groovin'--Young Rascals
    Little Egypt--Coasters
    You Know My Name(Look Up The Number)--Beatles

"Egypt" is another alternate take in stereo; we got some of the Beatles B-side on ANTHOLOGY, but not the 45 version. "Thank You Girl" may exist in single form in stereo, just a matter of getting it out.

"Mr. Soul"'s 45 take doesn't match the Lp(mono or stereo), so it qualities, as does Joe Cocker's "The Letter," though those are entirely different performances.

13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It's mostly the same, except that while making the mono mix, someone forgot to pot down the vocal mic, so some vocal interjections can be heard during the solo that aren't heard on the LP. Also, it's faded at the stopping chord prior to the guitar part that ends the regular version.

I think another example in this category is "All Along the Watchtower;" the 45 has a slide guitar solo that differs from the one on the Electric Ladyland version.

BTW, both of these oddball versions are easily found on Reprise "Back-to-Back Hits" oldies 45s. :)

14. Ed Bishop

15. Huh? I wasn't aware of a difference here...but there is in "Soul Man"

16. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Lots of Stax/Volt tunes from the 60's were recorded separately in mono and stereo versions, as documented in Rob Bowman's swell book, "Soulsville U.S.A.: The Story of Stax Records."

17. Ed Bishop

More:

Along Came Jones: Coasters
    Afterglow: Small Faces
    Baby It's You: Shirelles (diff vocal take)
    Hooked On A Feeling: B.J. Thomas
    Pleasant Valley Sunday: Monkees (nice try, but they'll probably never get it to match the single version)

On the main Three Dog Night singles don't qualify: true, they are very different from the Lp versions, but mixed after the fact to mono, which was generally not the norm back then. One exception might be "An Old Fashioned Love Song," which was stereo on the DJ 45 in advance of the Lp.

But if we do consider 3 Dog, then it must be agreed the majority of their singles don't match the stereo Lp versions, with a few("One," "Mama Told Me")very similar except they fade where the Lp runs cold; and "One Man Band" which was a stereo stock single.

18. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

She's Not There - The Zombies (although it has been redone with the drum part re-created)
    Pink Shoelaces - Dodie Stevens
    Baby Sittin' Boogie - Buzz Clifford (same goes for a bunch of other early 60's Coulmbia songs)

Quite a few Coasters hits and Drifters hits have different mixes/takes between stereo and mono, right?!

19. I knew that; I just wasn't aware of a difference on "Hold On I'm Comin'". But it's dawned on me that I've probably never heard the stereo...

20. Some country...

"A Good Year For The Roses" by George Jones (completely different recording on the 45, with a different arrangment)
    "Julie" by Porter Wagoner (same as above; the LP is a mid tempo waltz and the 45 is a fast 4/4!)

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ed, I could go on all day with these...but i'll spare you. I'll just name a few right now:

"Under The Boardwalk"-The Drifters
    "I've Passed This Way Before"-Jimmy Ruffin
    "Up On The Roof"-The Drifters
    "Want Ads"-The Honey Cone
    "My Girl"-The Temptations
    "Tell Mama"-Etta James
    "Who's Lovin' You"-Jackson 5
    "Magic Carpet Ride"-Steppenwolf
    "You Can't Hurry Love" The Supremes
    "Hot Fun In The Summertime"-Sly & The Family Stone
    "Groovin'"-The Young Rascals
    "The Letter"-The Box Tops
    "Juy To The World"-Three Dog Night
    "An Old Fashioned Love Song"-Three Dog Night
    "Liar"-Three Dog Night
    "Somebody's Been Sleeping In My Bed"-The 8th Wonder
    "You Make Me Feel (Like A Natural Woman)"-Aretha Franklin

22. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

What about where a track has a mono/stereo LP mix + a different mono 45 mix?
    I was thinking of Wilson Pickett - Jealous Love & I've Come a Long Way; both of these have different vocal takes on the 45 mixes, but not on the LP mono/stereo mixes.

23. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

Roger Miller's "Reincarnation" has an entirely different vocal on the Smash 45 than in stereo on "The Return of Roger Miller". I don't know if the mono version of this album has the same vocal as the 45 though.

24. Ed Bishop

Afraid so....

Sometimes it's the vocal take more than anything else...Wilson Pickett's 1971 classic, "Don't Knock My Love" suffers from beginning like the 45 version(except in stereo), but there's a place where it begins to be completely different, possibly because the single had an edit at a certain point that wasn't replicated when time came to assemble the stereo Lp.

Then there's a matter of instrumentation. Sometimes something is missing, but more often, something is added or mixed up in stereo that wasn't so evident on the 45. 8th Day's "She's Not Just Another Woman" is a good example of that, and so is Edwin Starr's "War."

Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" in mono is a famous example of a hit that changed markedly by the time the Lp was issued...but as the later 5.1 remix made obvious, with a little work a stereo single version could probably be contrived, but to date don't think it's been done.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

"Jimmy Mack" - Martha & the Vandellas

What the hell is that stereo version? Did the multi's go astray pretty quickly to have mix the version issued in mono also into stereo? Was other "stuff" recorded direct to the mono mix (something I didn't think Motown did)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.