Unique MONO 45 Versions That Are Also In Stereo(Just Not The Right Version!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I thought it was "Two Tickets To Paradise" that was said to be different? So, what are the differences on TTTP I guess. :)

2. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

News to me! Has the single version ever turned up on CD? (I'm guessing it was mono?)

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There are supposed to be diferences with "Baby Hold On" too.

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:o Sorry. I'd like to hear that, I prefer that song to "Two Tickets", which I find kind of boring.

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I also thought I heard bell chimes during the "Take my hand in yours . . . " section on the 45 version, not in the stereo mix. Being as I have said single. . . .

But I also seem to recall Barbra Streisand doing two different vocal takes on "The Way We Were" . . . one on the original 45 release (Columbia 4-45944), the other heard on most radio stations that still bother to play it. Same instrumental backing, though.

6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I recall it being an edit of the opening, and the ending fading out.

7. posieflump

posieflump New Member

"Grandpa's Grave" by Peter Sellers. The LP version (stereo and mono) is the funereal, slow and plodding version with only the last verse of the more upbeat take inserted. The 45 version is the complete, faster version. As only the last verse exists as a stereo release, it would be impossible to replicate the 45 in stereo from commercial releases.

8. Zazabb

Zazabb Active Member

Hi All

As to Neil Diamond, there are several, particularly the early Bang stuff:

Solitary Man - There are several, with the 1st "stereo" version having the vocals switch back & forth between channels, similar to the Grassroots "Let's Live For Today"

Holly Holy - Again, there are more mixes and versions on this than Betty Crocker has.

Shilo - I only know of the original, and 2 stereo versions. Each different.

Uptown - The Crystals - Just recently found another stereo version besides "Take 21".

Lastly, though I don't know if there was a "MONO" because of the date, but Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac has 3 different versions, with the 45/airplay version never having been released on a LP/CD AFAIK.

Sorry for the stray......

9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

What was different above this one?

10. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Not quite.

The original "stereo mix" was simply the mono hit mix being ping-ponged between speakers.....simple balance twiddle to the worst extreme.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Totally different harmonica.

12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Yep, that's all that separates it from the LP version.

13. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Here is an interesting one......

The original mono LP version of Smokey Robinson & the Miracles' "Tears of a Clown" (from the 1967 mono "Make It Happen" LP) is a completely different vocal take than the stereo version of that album. That LP's stereo lead vocal is the one that was eventually used on both the new mono and stereo mixes done when the song was released as a single in 1970. However, all these version do have the same original backing tracks. But there's more....

For the 1970 single release, a second set of drums was recorded and a new bassline was recorded as well. Both the 1970 mono 45 and LP stereo version have these overdubs. And, actually, you can hear both the original and overdubbed drum tracks on those 1970 versions.

Great thread!! I am learning about many mono vs stereo "differences" I was not aware of.

14. Tim Lyman

Tim Lyman New Member

Songs where the mono 45 and stereo LP versions are completely different recordings:

"Sweet Mary" - Wadsworth Mansion
    "Master Jack" - Four Jacks and a Jill

Different vocal track:

"I Fought the Law" - Bobby Fuller Four (The 45 might actually be a different take. I'll have to listen again.)

Different mix:

"Rings" - Cymarron (The stereo LP version is sped up considerably and faded earlier than the mono 45. Also, the mono 45 has the line, "Baby, what'cha doin'?," sung by a solo vocalist. On the LP version, all three vocalists sing this part.)

"Over My Head" - Fleetwood Mac (I'm including this one because the 45 mix is dead-center mono, with occasional stereo reverb. To me, that ain't stereo.)

15. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

....and listen to those birds. :wave:

16. Grant

Yup. Just one little harminica part changes the whole feel and atmosphere of the song. The harmonicasounds annoying in the stereo mix, and plesent and unobtrisive in the mono mix. It's the kind of thing stereo nuts conveniently overlook or ignore.

17. Grant

How about Otis Redding's "Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay"? The mono mix is drier and has tide and sea gull sounds throughout the track.

18. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

They should've saved those for "It's A Beautiful Morning". :)

19. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

The one that drives me nuts, is the stereo mix of the DC5's, "Bit and Pieces." The tambourine is missing!!!

20. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Speaking of The Dave Clark Five . . . on the stereo of "Glad All Over," the "Stay - aaah, stay" sections had far more aggressive echo/delay than was on the mono.

21. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Yeah...I forgot about that one! Isn't there a couple of different mixes of "Can't You See That She's Mine"?

There's also two different mono mixes of "Anyway You Want It." One has more echo on the "hey...hey...hey, hey " part!

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Papa Was A Rolling Stone

The mono mix has an additional string overdub at the beginning of the third verse. It is missing on the stereo edit. (There might be other differences.)

23. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Without wishing to get too deep into the Beatle's mix variations, how about:

Please Please Me - different take for vocals at least and harmonica dropped in from mono mix.
    From Me to You - no harmonica in the intro on the stereo version.

Ken

24. Grant

Yup. You just turned this into ANOTHER Beatles thread! :rolleyes: :eek: :laugh:

25. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Kind of an obscurity, but the 45 of Gunhill Road's "Back When My Hair Was Short" is a different performance from the version on their album. But that was a Kama Sutra "Dual 45," so it's technically not a unique mono 45 version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.