Dukes of Stratosphear (XTC): Chips From The Chocolate Fireball...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

He he. Finally picked up the remastered version of this one. For the un-initiated, this is XTC's alter-egos, making tongue-in-cheek, pseudo-late-'60's peculiarly English psychedelic music in the mid-80s. It was supposed to be released as "re-issues" of authentic 60's British psychedelia, but the record company leaked that it was really XTC's new album, wrecking the whole "joke". It's basically Andy Partidge's tribute to the music that inspired him, it isn't dogged by crummy 80's production, it really sounds like it could be from the 60's.

Is it me, or could this be XTC's greatest album? (OK, it's a compilation, but still...). It's just so much damn good clean fun, a real joy start to finish. It hardly sounds like the one-off, obscure side-project that it is, it's a fully-realized masterpiece in its own right.

IMO, the remaster from 2001 on Virgin (Ian Cooper at Metropilis) is preferable to the original overall. It *is* too loud, and maybe a little bright (much like the other XTC remasters), but overall, I find it preferable to the original 80's-era CD. Some day there will be the ideal XTC remasters on whatever digital format of the future is occasion for their being re-issued yet again. Until then we have the 2001 remasters.

Anyone else LOVE this CD?

PSR likes this.
  2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

LOOOOOOOOVE it!!!!

Bike Ride To The Moon is a masterpiece! I'd love to know the technical aspects of these songs....the amps...the board....the guitars..... how did they get it to sound so authentic?Pale and Precious is just spine tingling!

3. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

great album! got it when it was first released...i remember reading in an interview somewhere that they actually went through all the trouble of finding and using original 60's equipment and recording equipment/techniques...i wonder how the CD versions compare to the original vinyl release(s)?

4. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Yes, it's among my favorite XTC. I think, I'll pass on the remaster though and stick with the original CD.

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have 25 O'CLOCK on vinyl and CD too...I think it's 6 songs are the prime-thyme cuts.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yeah......things thinned out a bit on Psonic Psunspot (sp?), but there are some great songs....

BTW........are ALL of Colin Moulding's songs in 3/4 time? :confused:

7. audio

audio New Member

Absolutely. Without a doubt. Not only XTC's greatest album, but one of the greatest albums of all time. However, I think the remaster stinks. It's obviously doctored and compressed too much for my liking. I'm with Leppo on this one. I'm sticking with my original disc and all my original import vinyl.

8. audio

audio New Member

Which Moulding songs are in 3/4 time?:confused:

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

EEEK! Sorry, I got confused too.....I meant they all have that Getting Better shuffle. Stuff like In Another Life and Standing In For Joe from the Apple Venus ones....

10. audio

audio New Member

I don't think so. "Vanishing Girl"? "Making Plans for Nigel"? "Generals and Majors"? etc, etc? He's got plenty of songs that don't do the "Getting Better" march thing.

11. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Off the top of my head: "One of the Millions."

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Worth the investment for "Vanishing Girl" alone! :righton:

13. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Couldn't agree more.. I've been listening to this one almost daily for the last three weeks or so and each day it's a different favorite song. It's mind-blowing, amazing, .. beautiful.

And I'd never heard any XTC up until a month or so back- I've only got one other disc by them, in fact (Drums & Wires, another very good album).

Edit: btw, I'm perfectly happy with my disc, but how do I find out which version it is?

14. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

If it's the remastered version it will say so in the spine.

Your FIRST XTC????? That's just wrong. This band is sooooo GOOD, and so consistent, there's a reason they have such a large cult following. You NEED to buy more. NOW.

Personally, I'd rank their catalog thusly (hard as it is to split hairs):

1. Black Sea
    2. English Settlement
    3. Dukes of Stratosphear
    4. Big Express (woefully under-rated album)
    5. Skylarking
    6. Apple Venus, Vol. 1
    7. Drums & Wires
    8. Nonsuch
    9. Oranges & Lemons
    10. Apple Venus, Vol. 2 Wasp Star

The rest are all worth-while, but worth seeking out after you've got the rest...

15. william shears

william shears Senior Member

The original vinyl is the only way to go with both these albums. You get the totally cool, fully analogue sound (original late 60s 8-track used to mix and all tube/vintage gear for the instruments) but also the fab 12" artwork including the psonic gatefold. 'The Affiliated' is a masterpiece as is 'Vanishing Girl'. As the years go by these albums just get better and better..maybe the 'best' XTC?

16. Damián

Thanks. My disc doesn't say anything about being remastered. It's on Virgin btw so I suppose it'd be the UK edition (not that it'd matter much, I guess).

The thing with XTC, Mark, is that I just can't go into a store and buy their stuff here. I have to keep an eye on local auction sites and other places where used stuff can be found, and then hope it's in good shape (and at a reasonable price).

17. audio

audio New Member

Personally, I would rate their catalog as follows:

1) Skylarking
    2) English Settlement
    3) Nonsuch
    4) Oranges & Lemons
    5) Black Sea
    6) Drums and Wires
    7) Apple Venus
    8) Wasp Star
    9) Big Express
    10) Mummer

Skip the first two albums and get the singles comp.

18. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Skylarking is still my favorite, but this is a close second.

19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

"Pale and Precious" knocks me out. Far from the first attempt to parrot the Spector/Wilson sound, it succeeds, IMO, when the drums come in. That is as close to 60's Hal Blaine as I've ever heard....even though Andy claims it's him playing on PAP and that he thinks Dennis played on the BB tracks. No matter....it is a masterpiece!

Dan

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Great album - "You're A Good A Man Albert Brown" is the work of genius (I wonder if Ray Davies would agree... :D).

When I'm in the mood for this CD I usually pull out "Utopia - Deface the Music" and "The Rutles" too!

21. 13DoW

13DoW A concoction of conjecture and whimsy

Chips' is fun but being the best XTC album is an incredible undervaluing of the best in their catalogue.
    Here is the prioritized best-of-list, and no arguements please .......

1. Wasp Star
    2. Nonsuch
    3. Apple Venus
    4. Oranges & Lemons
    5. Skylarking
    6. the rest in no particular order

Regards
    13th Duke of Wymbourne

22. Lon

Lon Senior Member

Great album ! I have the original cd. I personally dig 'The Mole From The Ministry' .

23. audio

audio New Member

Have you guys seen the web page where they talk about their influences on each song? For example, each song is their take on another classic psych song. I remember the following:

25'O'clock=Amboy Dukes
    Vanishing Girl=Hollies
    Pale and Precious=Beach Boys
    The Affiliated=Eric Burdon/Animals
    Little Lighthouse=beginning inspired by Steve Miller Band track
    Have You Seen Jackie=Pink Floyd

...and so on.....

24. Damián

That was a great read.

Here.

Edit: and here's an interview with producer John Leckie, in which he talks about the Dukes project (at the end).

25. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

I played "Pale and Precious" for Brian Wilson himself many years ago.......he kept his eyes closed for almost the entire song, until the "up she rises" section, at which point he slammed his hand on the table and screamed "AHH!!! I LOVE IT!!", oblivious to his surroundings and the volume of his voice. He had no idea who XTC were. Also, I managed to relay this story to Andy Partridge who was VERY happy, like a proud papa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.