Dukes of Stratosphear (XTC): Chips From The Chocolate Fireball...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

Since no one has mentioned it yet, Psonic Psunspot was also issued on purple vinyl. When it first came out my local record store had black vinyl versions. Went back a week later and they had limited purple vinyl versions. Had to buy that one too.

2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Oh, yeh.

-BZync

3. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Yes and some Steve Hoffman mastered Beefheart, Burritos and Big Star. :thumbsup: :agree:

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've been an XTC fan for years, since "Oranges & Lemons" came out in the late 80s. For some reason, sadly, I only found out about this Dukes of Stratospheric side project a couple years ago.

Sure glad I did! Have the remastered CD, but I found the Geffen LP of "Psonic" recently. Mine's a weird cutting, sounds sort of thin and my Shure even has trouble tracking it. Anyone here have the UK pressings?

BTW, one of my favorite XTC productions is "English Settlement". Best sounding by far on the original Virgin LPs. Man this is good! Classic production by Hugh Padgham too.

dan c

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

In the deadwax of my 25 o'clock vinyl copy (UK white label) is:
    Side 1: "To Be Taken Twice Dali"
    Side 2: "I Can See For Moles"

Haven't played this since I bought it in '85!

6. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

My Psonic Geffen LP is weird too - sounds like there's no top end compared to the CD.

On the other hand, I find that the 25 O'clock UK Virgin LP sounds nearly identical to the original Chips CD.

7. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, so glad to see so many fans here, I truly hope this inspires any newbs out there to check out the band... :righton:

8. fathom

fathom Senior Member

I always liked "Collideascope" and "Mole From The Ministry"

As for XTC albums, I never liked their early stuff, but Skylarking, Oranges & Lemons and Apple Venus are excellent

9. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

The Dukes of Stratosphere may have been a slight joke or parody but in all reality music today isn't even half as good as THAT album- let alone the period it portays.

My favs:
    Dukes
    Nonsvch
    Skylarking
    Rags and Bones Buffet
    Oranges and Lemons

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Being an XTC completest is a maddening experience. Fortunately I've resigned to the fact that I'll never possibly compile everything they've put out, but it's fun to discover new stuff. A few years back I found several cool 12" singles, both on Geffen and Virgin, containing all sorts of remixes and B-sides.

One of my favorite hidden XTC treasures is "Cherry In Your Tree" on the Carmen Sandiego soundtrack "Out of this World".

And don't forget "Thanks For Christmas" issued under the Three Wise Men moniker.

dan c

11. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Wish Andy would have commented on Mole From The Ministry...and it's obvious I Am The Walrus influence!

When I first bought 25 O'Clock back in the 80s thinking it was part of the then "neo-psychedelic" trend, I couldn't believe how accurately this "band" recaptured that acid-drenched, fuzzed-out 60s vibe...couldn't believe it when I later found out it was XTC.

12. audio

audio New Member

Believe it or not, I fell in love with the Dukes before I'd even heard more than a song or two from XTC. I had no idea who they were.

YardByrd likes this.
  13. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

My most recent XTC discovery is a hilarious 1987 single they did as "Johnny Japes and his Jesticles" called "Bags of Fun with Buster." John Otway sings on it, and it's about the British cartoon character "Buster Gonad and his Unfeasably Large Testicles". Viz magazine put it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.