Rediscovering Rod Stewart and FACES: Sometimes I have a fun job.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Sometimes I have a fun job.....

I've been working on the FACES/"A Nod Is As Good As A Wink" Gold CD this past couple of days and am enjoying it! Bill Inglot and WSM really came through on this one; the album was recorded and mixed in Gt. Britain at Olympic Sound in Barnes by Glyn Johns and the actual mixes wouldn't be in the USA. But, the Warner Bros. vault messenger delivered the real Olympic mixes to me along with the DOOBIE BROS/"Minute By Minute" mixes from Sunset Sound with engineer Don Landee's original mixing and mastering notes still taped to the inside of the boxes.

For me, finding the real master tapes is MOST of the problem in remastering stuff. In this case (and actually in all cases involving Warner Bros. Records) it was a snap. I vividly remember the day back in 1999 that the WB messenger delivered me 56 reels of live Frank Sinatra recordings which looked brand new even though they were done in 1961-62. They just have a good system at WB and it makes my job much easier.

At any rate, the minute I cued up the FACES/Nod master I couldn't help smiling; such a great sound: Powerful, rich, warm yet really rocking. It sounded nice on the AcousTech Mastering playback system but I was really looking forward to playing the songs back on my vintage system at home, knowing that the album was actually mixed on the same monitors that I am using in that system: Tannoy 15" Dual Concentrics. Sure enough, it sounded PERFECT to me when played back on this system. Glyn's mixes almost always avoided Dolby A back then. His way was to mix everything at a high level, like plus 9 up from 0 db. So he let the tape recorder do some of his work for him; it saturated the tape nicely without having to use too much compression and totally removed the need for Dolby noise reduction. I remember WHO'S NEXT was at +9 as well. Just pins the hell out of our VU meters though, heh.

So, I am going to do in mastering what I did with WHO'S NEXT and ROD STEWART/"Never A Dull Moment"; bypass the mastering console and just use the playback tape deck to feed our new A/D converter and straight on to the CD master. It should yield excellent results.

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Sweeeeeeeeeeet. Thanks for sharing, Steve!

By the way, if you can answer this, is there any indication that the masters were previously used for any CD or LP issue?

3. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I once spent two days pawing through the master tapes at the Warner archives in North Hollywood on a Randy Newman mission - they do have a great system and a friendly staff! I think the curator's name is Steve, too... Steve Lang, maybe?...

JEFF!

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

YOUR work pics are definitely more fun than MINE! :D

Attached Files:

5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Great pictures, (even the one from dave :) ). Steve, how can you say that "Sometimes 'you' have a fun job...." Compared to my job I can assume your job is ALWAYS fun!!! (I don't think I ever feel my job is fun these days.)

I look forward to the Faces Gold CD, as well as the Bad Company disc. (I am not much of a Doobies fan... The DCC Best of is good enough for me!)

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Lang. The tape man!

7. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

Those pictures are so cool.
    I can't wait to get my hands and ears on those gold discs.

8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Thanks Steve!

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve, thanks a lot for your sharing this behind-the-scenes info. with us! I will remember this thread and those pictures when I listen to these CDs. With the major labels, a remaster usually has no such information openly communicated. It's like those discs just drop out of the sky one day with no identity. Your comments add a human, real work element. I appreciate it.

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Who is "Kinney" (on the Faces box)?

11. Steve Hoffman

Kinney Corp. owned WB at that time (1971).

12. Steve Hoffman

That's one of the reasons I do it. I want the entire mastering process demystified. I'm also hoping that other remastering engineers when they read this will lay off of the excessive signal processing and let the sound of the original analog tapes shine through.

13. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I'm even MORE excited about these discs now! Thanks for sharing the pics, Steve and for giving us a behind the scenes look at what you are up to. I missed the boat on most of the DCC releases when they were first issued. I won't make that mistake twice! :)

14. Steve Hoffman

Someone had a question as to what LFB meant (as scrawled on the Olympic Sound FACES tape box.

It means "Low Frequency Blend" and that was written by the engineer at the Mastering Lab when they cut the original USA LP lacquers. Probably everything under 100 cycles was summed to mono for ease of stereo cutting. Bass only coming out of the left or right channel can really eat up available lacquer time.

Worst example of this LFB is the USA Capitol RUBBER SOUL album. Bass was summed to mono around 200 cycles. Drove me crazy coming out of the vocal channel!

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Can't wait to go "Back to Gold" again!

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks Steve

17. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

Thanks for sharing the story and the photos. This brings "us" closer to the mastering work. I noticed the NAB curve on these tapes. I cannot wait to hear your mastering on these discs...

Bob :D

18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have a Green label Warner Brothers US pressing

BS 2574 40009 1 T
    BS 2574 40010 1 T

I always thought this LP sounded great. Is it the best LP version?
    JG

19. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

As always Steve, thanks for the insights. Looking forward to the gold rebirth coming up in a couple months. About those Tannoys, what would a pair equivalent to your set go for these days? IIRC, you got a great deal on yours at a second hand shop, but I doubt I'll be so lucky.

20. Steve Hoffman

Here is a beautiful pair on eBay right now. As you can see, the price is stiff..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5729769853&rd=1

21. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Great pics, Steve...

It's great that Warner Bros. has a good system to catalog their masters, and I'm sure having someone like Bill Inglot working for them can only make a good system even better. :agree:

22. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Steve, are you getting the Bad Company master tapes from England? I wonder if Atlantic got the Originals or if Island did

23. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

AMEN!!

24. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey SH,

How did Glyn slam the tape at +9 without it distorting?

Take care,
    Jeffrey

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Steve!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.