Good article on the Beatles Vol 1 box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flatso, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flatso

Flatso Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Very interesting. How much of this is accurate???

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd say dead-on...Bruce is a trustworthy fella...He put tremendous time in effort into his work.:thumbsup:

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, except for stupidly referring to those mixes as 'George Martin' mixes. In fact, the first two UK albums' stereo mixes, IIRC, were done behind his back...or, at the least, he wasn't happy about having to do them.

The fact is, once the tapes were 'Dexterized,' they ceased to be George's work....a point this guy conveniently missed. He also ignores the fact that the sound quality is still crappy for a lot of it, regardless of what tapes they're using.

From what I read, EMI should hire this writer to do their publicity for them; came across to me like a paid flak.

:ed:

5. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

"The important thing to know is that The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1 marks the stereo debut on CD of 32 Beatles songs. Hearing George Martin’s stereo mixes of songs such as And I Love Her, If I Fell, Things We Said Today, No Reply and I’ll Follow The Sun on CD will certainly be a treat."

Ummmm, wasn't And I Love Her stereo on the Red Album 2-CD set?

6. Ed Bishop

7. Michael

So, when is your series of Books coming out? :D
    He does fine work. :)

8. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Good thing they did. The Boys would have been one hit wonders without 'them'!
    Yes! Let's not let the artist, get in the way.
    No kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

WOW I never realised this before but when does the title track of A HARD DAYS NIGHT show up on a captiol Lp? I always had all the Captiol Lps and the UA soundtrack but I do not think AHDN is on any Beatles Lp until the HEY JUDE/BEATLES AGAIN lp. I never noticed that until now!

10. Michael

Quote:
    Mr. Spizer has been serving as a consultant to Capitol Records for the CD release of the Capitol albums

Thank God for that!:thumbsup:

11. Ed Bishop

Mr. Spizer has been serving as a consultant to Capitol Records for the CD release of the Capitol albums......

I rest my case...and writing books doesn't make you an authority on anything. It just means you write books. And there are a lot of bad ones out there, though I haven't read a thing this guy has done. But that entire piece reads like a publicity release, not an objective look at reality.

:ed:

12. Michael

I too, rest my case...
    You should check his work out...quite extensive on the AMERICAN RELEASES....Umm, he's a fan also. ;)

13. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

According to Lewisohn's book, Goerge Martin's name is listed as producer on the days these were mixed for stereo.

I know later on he said he was unhappy about them.

Only three and a half weeks to go!!!

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

It's not on Hey Jude. I'm not familiar with Beatles Again. Is that the same as Hey Jude with a different title?

15. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Yeah but according to Mr. Ed Bishop anybody can write books...

16. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Yes.

AHDN (the song) appears on the Capitol re-issue of the soundtrack to AHDN from the 70s-80s.

17. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Yes, and you're right, "A Hard Day's Night" wasn't on that one...although "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Should Have Known Better" were, and made their Capitol LP debut therein.

"A Hard Day's Night" itself wasn't included on a Capitol LP until the Red Album in 1973! (And even that was technically an Apple release.)

18. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

George Martin sure DID do the stereo mixes of the Beatles first UK lps. And he did PLENTY of other stereo mixes for other bands the same way.

But he has hid behind this "I didnt do them" line because he is tired of defending himself for recording in twin track. He didnt know, in 1963 that true stereo Lps were going to become the standard for rock music and mono Lps were going to die off.
    People have continuosly asked him why he didnt record The early Beatles in "normal" stereo.

So, he has distanced himself from those mixes. Which I think is wrong, he should be proud of his work. Sure they are twin track, but they do sound great.
    Plenty of American bands has their stereo Lps mixed the same way. Ever hear a Gary Lewis stereo LP? Same thing.

19. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I think the real reason that George Martin has said he didn't do the stereo mixes of PPM & WTB is that he simply doesn't remember. I don't think he has a good memory. There's other examples of incorrect recollections.

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Would the mono mixes be Dexterized?
    In other words, will the mono (sic) versions be made from the two channel, fourth and fifth generation, tapes pre or post Dexterized?
    Thanks.

21. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The only "bad" thing that can be said of Bruce Spizer is that he isn't an audiophile. The content of his books is above reproach. If Bruce says it, he believes it to be true. Bruce would never be a "hack" for Capitol. His books are DEFINITIVE; every tome is the last word on the subject.

That being said, however, I would never rely on Bruce for anything related to sound quality. Bruce has said that he likes the sound of "1" and Let It Be...Naked.

22. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

On the US Apple LP Red Album, "A Hard Days Night" was in fake electronic stereo - a mildly rechanneled fake stereo, at that (no CrappoDuophonic here).

23. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Mikey,
    When did GM give up the ghost and say; "he is tired of defending himself for recording in twin track"?

24. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Definition of a "hack"; a party member who serves the party unquestioningly.
    Fact: Bruce was paid by Capitol.
    Fact: Bruce does not question ANYTHING Capitol did to the tapes (And they did a lot. Otherwise, they would sound the same as the British).
    Fact: Bruce defends EVERYTHING Capitol did to the tapes.
    Would you prefer the term "lackey"?

25. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

We could combine the two and call him a "hackey"™.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.