DualDisc to be launched across the US in October 2004 or January 2005.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

According to Audio Video Revolution (www.avrev.com), the DualDisc format will be launched across the US in October 2004 or possibly in January 2005. Here's a link:

http://www.avrev.com/news/0704/23.dualdisc.html

From the link:

:)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

All they have to do is put this Dualdisc behind a few top artists accross the board before Xmas and it might do nicely?

3. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Here we go again folks...something else the consumer really does not want.

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Unless Dual-Disc include a hi-rez component (like a DVD-Audio side) I won't be buying a single issue.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I'm with you. However, I'm afraid that many of the major labels will view a DVD-Video layer as a draw. If Sony releases any DualDisc titles, I'm sure they will have a DVD-Video layer since they can already produce hybrid SACDs. Sony isn't going to include a DVD-Audio layer.

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

If any of the 'new' formats has a chance to get mainstream attention, this is it.

7. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

How about a Hybrid dual-disk (Red book, SACD stereo and multi-channel and a flip side with DVD-A and/or DVD-V). Talk about royalty problems and consumer confusion. Why not include an i-pod and MP3 compatible side while the are at it. Heck, I'm going back to the cylinder player.

Richard.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Color me skeptical. Given the lack of marketing coordination so far in hirez, I doubt this will do better.

Nevertheless if it does get some traction then it could help Super Audio by bringing more attention to hirez in general.

My best guess is that it will be niche but may lead to some additional hirez titles. I sure hope Warner backs it with a strong commitment unlike their DVDA effort.

I still don't know why they are doing this instead of making part of the HD-DVD or BluRay push. That would save money and help propel both.

9. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

This format will be DOA.

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

One thing to keep in mind is that Jerry has not been a reliable source and there appears to be little of "official" nature in this report.

This is the same guy who said DSOTM would be on DVDA initially. :shake:

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I am afraid that if this format becomes successful, it will evolve into a redbook side and a DVD-V side. These are, after all, the most popular formats available today.

If this happens, I fear for DVD-A and SACD, as todays market wants 2 things:

1) Down-loadable files (MP3, etc)
    2) Video content (Why should I buy a live CD recording if I can get the whole concert, music & video on the same disc) DVD-V sales are soaring!

Except for us, nobody seems to care about DVD-A and SA-CD.

12. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ob is probably right, i could see this format evolving into Cd on one side, DVD on the other, with a 5.1 DD audio layer snuck in ther somewhere. This format would truly appeal to everyone....Cd buyers, Home Theatre fanatics, and Surround fanatics.

Plus, the story says that they will be moderately priced, and THAT is the key. My local Vigin has some SACDs priced at 39.99!!!

I have a feeling that we are going to see heavy promotion on this format. Just a hunch.

But you know what.....something like "The Monkees" is just PERFECT for this format, remixed audio on one side, and video from the Tv show, hell, even whole episodes on the the other.

Any Rock band would niche in this format.......Cd on one side, live performace vids on the other, 5.1 soundtrack. Not bad if they can price it around 13.99. Not bad at all.

13. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Warners and the Flaming Lips had the perfect package. One DVD-a/v disc and one CD disc. My "Yoshmi...." cost 19 dollars and I was a happy camper. So now we will lose content be it the 2ch Hi-Rez tracks or lyrics.
    Can the Sony dual disc have a hybrid (CD/SACD)on one side with video on the other??
    I still think multi-channel is the strongest method to get people away from Ipods and mp3's. Every person that I play SACD/DVD-A's for love it and 5 of my friends went out and purchased a universal player.
    I love Hi -Rez surround and I don't want to go "backwards" as far as a disc with just a DD 5:1 track. I dosen't look good.......

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Cant agree there, Bobo. 95% of the music buying public isnt into Surround sound, they want portability and digital files for their IPODS. Thats not my opinion, those are the facts.

Surround Sound enthusiasts are VIDEO enthusiasts who buy expensive systems/players to watch movies with a surround sound track.

This format appeals to those buyers AND Cd buyers.....if they could squeeze all that stuff onto a 13.99 disk (average price of a damn music Cd these days , or even less) they may have a big, big, winner.

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

As long as it remains a successfull niche product, who cares? :) I'm quite happy trying to keep up enough budget to buy everything I want on hirez as it is. I agree that Redbook plus Video is the likely combo.

There is another angle here perhaps: if successful, even in Red Book + Video form, this could restore some profitability to the music business and that may create more opportunities for hirez.

Some of the SACD prices are just plain outrageous - Mofis are $31 at Tower, etc.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I wonder if any of the DualDiscs already issued will be reissued?

Kwad

17. vex

vex New Member

I was wondering the same thing myself! In a selfish kind of way, I hope not. The collector in me wants the test market titles to continue to be harder to find.

I am really surprised that they're pushing forward with the format. In one report, I read that the test market was considered a failure since collectors snagged up all the titles and sold 'em on eBay. Then I read elsewhere that the test marketers were calling the test market a success since they sold out of product and had very few returns! Talk about your flawed logic...

18. Michael St. Clair

This is the least confusing new format yet. It plays in the CD player you already have and in surround (possibly with video) in the DVD player you already have.

The previous formats don't play in both, and require you to buy new equipment to get the full benefit. DVD-A and SACD players are a small niche, this format works with what you already have, including your boombox and your car.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

So does a hybrid Super Audio disc...and you don't have to flip the disc or worry about which side you have up or down.

This misses my point...the labels have not shown any ability to either market or support anything lately.

Why should we believe they will all of a sudden do a better job with DualDisc?

Why should retailers believe them?

20. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I couldn't disagree more. We already have hybrid SACDs, so they play in every DVD and CD player that can play CDs.

This is a format with an identity crisis - is it audio? Is it video?

As someone who owns a few DDs, I'll say it again: I hope this format dies. They were cute, but the titles that sold all mainly sold on eBay. They're basing their "success" in the test on eBay? Yeesh. The only titles that really sold were the name ones.

I think they will have a rude awakening.

21. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I agree with you. Now we will have three new formats (SACD, DVD-A & Dual Disk) that won't be properly supported.

Sean

22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

One thing that I've seen in marketing some new product, like Eric Clapton or Dave Matthews, they easilly stick a DVD in a package and it becomes instantly a "value added" product with very little chance of a consumer confusing what's in it. The CDs look like CDs, the extra DVD is either in a special sleeve or says DVD on it. Supposedly, those kinds of packages did well.

So why create yet ANOTHER Hybrid product? Maybe some of you have a good point.

23. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

There are more and more CD+DVD packages out there. Maybe the dualdisc will eventually replace these.

24. Michael St. Clair

Pop your hybrid SACD into a regular DVD player and listen to music in surround and/or watch videos. You cannot do it. There is no value added over CD unless you own a special, relatively rare, player.

25. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Heck, if the titles interest me, AND the mastering is done properly, AND there's cool video stuff, I might buy a few!

The record companies gotta try something!

Right now I'm happy with discs that are vinyl side 1 on one side, and vinyl side 2 on the other. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.