My New Record Cleaning Regiment (Long)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Koz, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam Thread Starter

Please, I don't want this thread to become a record cleaning debate. I'm not trying to convert anyone to a new way of cleaning their records, or saying that this way is the best way to clean records. I'm posting this to let other forum members know my findings on my new way of cleaning my records. Thank you.

For the past 20 years or so, I've been cleaning records with a manual Nitty Gritty machine and their Pure 2 cleaning fluid. I've always been happy with the results. I would wet and scrub the record with the fluid (using Nitty Gritty's felt brush), flip the record over, dry the record off with the machine, do the other side, and then it was off to the turntable.

Its funny how a chain of events, has lead me to a different way I clean records, and for the better I might add.

After reading many threads and posts about this subject here on the forum, I decided to give Disc Doctor a try. I happened to decided this while I was out doing some shopping. So I picked up a gallon of distilled water (which is recommended for rinsing the Disc Doctor cleaning fluid off the record) on the way home. The first thing I did when I got home was to log on to Red Trumpet's web-site. While ordering the fluid, I noticed that the only Disc Doctor brushes in stock were for 10" records. I called Red Trumpet to see if they had the 12" brushes in stock, or, when they would have them back in stock. The woman I spoke to said that the brushes were not in stock and they would not have them back in stock. She continued to tell me that, once their Disc Doctor products are sold out, that was it for the product. She told me that Red Trumpet was now endorsing Record Research Lab's (RRL) record cleaning products. She then transfered me to a gentlemen named John.
    John was real helpful with me, we talked a little about turn-tables, record cleaning machines and various other cleaning methods. I ordered a 16 oz. bottle of RRL Super Deep Cleaner (RRL also has a Super Vinyl Wash, which is not as concentrated) and best yet, no need for special brushes and distilled water for rinsing. John assured me that the felt brush I was using with my Nitty Gritty was fine for the application of the RRL cleaner.

In the mean time, I bought about ten or twelve records at my local Goodwill and at a used record shop for a buck or two apiece. These records where not trashed, but, they sure have seen better days. When I brought the records home, I set the records aside, to clean them when the RRL fluid would arrive.

When my RRL fluid arrived, I grabbed the records that I recently bought and I started to clean the records off. While cleaning the first record, I remembered that I still had some of my Nitty Gritty Pure 2 left. I thought, why not do a second cleaning with the Pure 2. After doing a second cleaning of my first record with the Pure 2, I noticed the distilled water that I had bought to rinse the Disc Doctor with, why not rinse the record off! I guess I looked at the distilled water like it was chicken soup when your sick, its not going to cure you, but, its not going to hurt either. :p

All I can tell you is, after doing five or six records like this, I was astonished at the results. These dollar bin records were playing dead quiet. Sure there was an occasional tick or pop, but that old light crackle or the camp fire crackle that we hear on older records was not there. What was even more astonishing, was the songs that had fade-outs on them. The fade-outs on these records were dead quiet, all I was hearing was the music slowly fading out.

Yes, this is more time consuming, and yes, its more cumbersome, but well worth it, IMO.

2. Danny

Danny Senior Member

Cool post Joe! I agree about the rinse step, and I go through distilled water like it's....ummmmm.....water. I found the rinsing step to be extremely important and always do it with whatever I'm using to clean. Once I get my VPI fixed, I have some 300 - 400 lps to clean. Most are very dirty and I have a three step process all figured out for thos puppies.

3. Joe Koz

Thanks, Danny. You have 300-400 records to clean? You sure have your work, cut out for you!

4. Danny

Danny Senior Member

Yep, I've had a few friends/relatives donate to the obsession (150 or so total there)and I've recently purchased a collection of about 350 of which about 100 are bound for goodwill. I'll take my time, no rush. My 13 year old is looking to make some extra dough over the summer, so I may get him involved. It could be good bonding for us and he's pretty responsible.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

do yourself a favor and buy the vinyl wash. use it after using the deep cleaner as a rinse, and don't use distilled water. i think you'll be even more amazed. i also use the vinyl wash to clean my disc doctor brushes after every cleaning, and use a spritz of distilled water on the disc doctor "lips" that im using on my nitty gritty to keep everything pure.

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Joe: :thumbsup: !!

I'm going to have to try the RRL "deep cleaner" fluid. I'd almost tried some of that Nitty Gritty Pure 2, but maybe I'll get a small size of RRL to try it out. (And hats off to Red Trumpet for steering you in a good direction. :) )

I did just think of something rather radical: these manufacturers should have a very small free sample size available. Enough to clean about five LPs so it can be tested on a variety of discs. That way, I don't buy some #@(#&$#*($ expensive bottle of glorified dishwashing detergent for an outrageous sum of money. For what they charge for this stuff, they can damn well afford it.

7. Joe Koz

Hi, sberger! I thought of that. When my RRL arrived, I noticed the label saying that the wash was recommended for cleaning the applicator brush and the vacuum pick-up tube. Maybe when I'm out of the Pure 2, I'll try the RRL Wash.

I never liked the idea of needing to rinse a record off with distilled water. That's one of the things that kept me away from Disc Doctor. Not that I'm knocking Disc Doctor, I can't knock it, I've never used the product. But, if a cleaner like Disc Doctor, has to be followed with rinsing of distilled water and sometimes more than once. Why would you want to put that kind of stuff on your records in the first place? That's my way of thinking on that subject. At least with RRL and Pure 2, rinsing the record isn't even mentioned. As a matter of fact, when I run out of the distilled water, I might not even bother to replace it.

Hi, Rudy. Yeah, you would think so, wouldn't you. Although, the Pure 2 can be had for $16.95, which is a lot better than the $24.95 which goes for the RRL and the Disc Doctor. About 6 or 7 years ago, I broke down and bought a gallon of the Pure 2. When my wife and I moved to are new house, I never saw it after that. I can't find it, if my life depended on it. Probably got pitched out with other stuff when we were moving! Mmmm...I wonder who could have done that? My wife, maybe!!! :D :p :D

8. -=Rudy=-

I still had the original cleaner that came with my vacuum. I replaced it with "another brand" and it just can't get that "light crackly" sound you mention out of the grooves. Funny that my cheaper stuff cleaned better, and didn't need overpriced brushes to accomplish it. ;) The kind of crud that gets into these old LPs needs a good cleaner/solvent to help loosen it so it can be lifted out of the grooves.

I still miss that old Nitty Gritty Power Cleaner though...if that didn't clean an LP, it was too trashed to keep. ;)

9. Joe Koz

You know, Rudy...I think using the two different cleaners, really helps the cleaning process of the vinyl. One cleaner may be good for some of the crud, the other cleaner may be stronger cleaning other things that could be on the vinyl. Between the two it gets the job done, just a hunch on my part.

Everything I've read about the old Nitty Gritty cleaner, is been everything but bad. I really would've liked to been able to try some of that product. Can you remember when they stopped manufacturing it? I heard they had to stop making it, because it wasn't biodegradable or something like that.

10. -=Rudy=-

Not sure when they stopped, but it used CFCs, which are harmful to the ozone layer. It was quite potent--had quite an odor, and it evaporated quickly, but it did the job. Had I known, I would have stocked up.

From what I read on Red Trumpet's site, the RRL deep cleaner was made to chemically remove the dirt...IOW, rather than scrubbing the vinyl so much, the cleaner is supposed to work on the dirt to make it easier to remove.

11. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I just switched to RRL per Red Trumpet's recommendation when I bought my VPI from them. I also prefer it to DD. I agree with you Joe, if you need to go thru that much hassle to clean off the DD cleaner, it isn't worth it. Instead of having record grooves contaminated with dirt, you have grooves contaminated with DD fluid.

Sean

12. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

:agree:
    The RRL's base is distilled, quadruple deionized water. Rinse a record with distilled water after cleaning with RRL is like washing it with less pure water. I use RRL Deep Cleaner followed by RRL Vinyl Wash.

13. Paul Chang

Danny,

What's wrong with your VPI? Is it a HW-16.5 or a HW-17?

14. Paul Chang

I heard that volcano eruptions do more harm to the ozone layer than CFCs. :help: But I digress. Last used to put Freon in their Power Cleaner and Record Preservative (and maybe the whole line of record care products) before it was outlawed. I was told by people in the record and the hi-fi industries that part of cleaning power of the old Last Power Cleaner came from Freon. It didn't leave much trace because of its volatility. But it also evaporated quickly even if you cap it tightly. The current Last Power Cleaner doesn't contain Freon and is not as volatile. Still, it's so expensive that I switched to RRL Deep Cleaner after my 4 oz. professional size Last Power Cleaner had been spent (and had partly evaporated).

15. Danny

Danny Senior Member

Hey Paul,

It's a 16.5 and I was able to fix it myself last night. I e-mailed VPI and they got back to me with potential fixes and directions. Good customer service. Anyhow the problem I was having can be found in this thread:

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I also switched to both Record Research Lab's Deep Cleaner and Record Wash last December. I was never happy with the Disc Doctor product. It always left a film on the record. If you didn't do a 2 or 3 washes with distilled water the record was left with more surface noise than it originally had. I like the Disc Doctors brushes but they are only useful if there is no deep down dirt. I use them only on audiophile and new records. To get the real dirt out nothing beats the VPI brushes. I exceptionally dirty records I still find that you need to use an alcohol based solution like the VPI record cleaner before using RRL Deep Cleaner and Record Wash.
    If you are using a VPI record cleaning machine it also benefits having 2 suction tubes with the 2nd tube reserved for the final Record Wash cleaning.

17. Joe Koz

Tom, are you saying I should try using my Pure 2 (which is alcohol based) first, then the RRL Deep Cleaner? I ask because, how would the record benefit a alcohol based cleaner first, and then the RRL Deep Cleaner second? I'd like your opinion on this, because I could easily try using my Pure 2 first, then the second application could be with the RRL Deep Cleaner.

18. -=Rudy=-

I've seen some claims that the VPI brushes damage the grooves. Well? I've cleaned a couple hundred LPs with my VPI brushes and have yet to get any damaged vinyl. Still, it's good to have a variety of brushes and felt pads to use. As you mention the brushes, I've found felt anything doesn't get down into the grooves. Great for distributing fluid evenly, but that's about it.

Since you've tried both, how is the RRL Deep Cleaner working out for you?

19. Joe Koz

Rudy, what does the VPI brushes look like? Are they a light bristle type of brush?

20. Paul Chang

I just switched recently by the recommendation of a local dealer that sells both. So far I have used the RRL Deep Cleaner on brand new records (to remove the mold releasing agent) and I think it does a good job.

21. Paul Chang

I'm not Rudy but I found this picture of the VPI brush (yes, a light bristle type) being used with a DIY Record Cleaner.

Attached Files:

22. Joe Koz

Thanks Paul, I like the picture. Who stocks these brushes? I ask, because I check Red Trumpet's site, and all they carry is the brushes for the machine.

Edit: Ok, I see from your link that the brushes are available from Audio Advisor!

23. Paul Chang

Joe,

You can find it on Red Trumpet by doing a quick search under "Accessories" for "VPI brush". But it requires special order ($36 list; their price $30) according to the web site.

24. Paul Chang

Joe,

You missed it probably because you looked under the "AUDIO/VIDEO EQUIMENT" listing for VPI. You can find it by doing a "QUICK SEARCH" or by looking under the "ACCESSORIES" listing, which has the VPI brush listed as:

25. Joe Koz

Hi Paul, I did that. Red Trumpet's description was a little misleading. The description said the brushes were for the VPI machines and gave two model numbers. I thought it was a replacement brush for those two models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.