V.P.I. HW 16.5 Record Cleaning Machine malfunction problem and question.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Danny, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny

Danny Senior Member Thread Starter

I was cleaning a stack of records today and my V.P.I. HW 16.5 Cleaning Machine started malfunctioning about 10 records in. The unit is only about 3 1/2 months old.

Here's what happened. The turntable would stop spinning once the vacuum tube made contact. I tried tightening the clamp, turning the unit off for awhile then trying again, switching to different outlets with no luck. This is bumming me out. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas on potential fixes?

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I have not had this problem. However, VPI is quite friendly in the service department area. Contact them via email or by phone, and they should be an excellent source of helpful info and suggestions. And since it's not old, they should fix it for you on the cheap (if not free) if none of their suggestions pan out for doin' the repair yerself.

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Danny, VPI is in Cliffwood, NJ so you might be able to take the machine right to them. The warranty is only 90 days, but 3.5 months is just barely out of warranty. Check their website (vpiindustries.com) for their number and hours (it is not toll free and they have certain days they do not take calls). I met the VPI owners at HE2002 in NYC (the Westfield's) and they are very nice people. My 17F has never given me a problem.

4. Danny

Thanks fellas, I'm glad to hear that VPI is such a customer friendly company. I was thinking the same thing ALP. I've e-mailed and will call during the week. I appreciate the input. You know, you don't really appreciate something till it breaks down on ya. Sheesh!

5. Danny

Well, if anyone in the future has a similiar problem to mine and finds this by doing a search. It seems that this problem can be caused by one of two things.

1) The suction tube is set too high when vacuuming and is lifting the record off the platter and not letting the platter mat grip it.

I tried adjusting the post up and down which can be done with an allen wrench. This didn't work for me.

or...

2) The platter has loosened up on the motor shaft and needs to be tightened.

I'm pretty sure this is my problem and I'm probably going to have to bring this in for service.

6. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Danny,

Sorry for missing this thread so I couldn't post my experience earlier. I'm surprised that your HW-16.5 has developed a problem so early. The two problems you listed can be easily distinguished - if it is (2) the platter is not spinning when the vacuum suction is turned on.

I had problem (2) and fixed it myself. First I carefully lifted the inner circular piece of the self-adhesive cork mat so it was not ripped. Then I removed the three screws that attached the platter to the motor shaft. I noticed that the screw on the side of the shaft was loose so it wouldn't spin along with the motor. I simply tightened it up and it was back in working order.

Before I put everything back together I also glued to the platter the loosened spindle which had been pulled loose by overtightening the clamp over time.

7. Danny

Cool - that's exactly what I had to do (with the exception of the spindle). I gotta say I'm really happy with the machine. Cleaned a bunch of lps last night. The difference is just incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.