Kate Bush - The Kick Inside - U.K. LP first pressing matrix question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Was wondering if anyone here knows what the earliest U.K. LP pressing of Kate Bush - The Kick Inside is?

Was there a dash 1 (YAX 5389-1), dash 1 (YAX 5390-1) pressing? The earliest I've ever seen, (an eBay auction), was a YAX 5389-2 / YAX 5390-2 pressing?

The only U.K. LP copy that I own is a very late 8/85 (Aug. 1985) pressing, YAX 5389-6 / YAX 5370-5, no bacode, on that plain, cream coloured EMI label. I purchased it used in the 1990s. Up until then, I never had an interest in owning the U.K. LP. I don't like the artwork.

[​IMG]

I already had several Harvest/EMI and Capitol Canada LP pressings, a U.S. EMI-America LP, with the Kate blue jeans in a box artwork and an early EMI Japan LP in my vinyl.

I also have 3 CD pressings including an EMI America CD, U.K. box set CD and an original EM Japan black triangle first edition (I think), CD.

I'm looking to upgrade to an early U.K. LP pressing. The -6 / -5 LP is not in the best of conditions. It's crackly in places.

Are the early U.K. LP pressings noticeably better in sound? Are there any Harry Moss cuts? If the early U.K. LP is expensive to find, is there a good alternate such as an early W German or Dutch LP pressing using the same artwork for a better price?

Thanks.

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

The early UK ones are not good. Crowded and distorted badly.

3. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I got an early UK pressing last week, -4, -4 matrixes. Side 1 deadwax includes the inscription "Remember Yourself". Haven't got around to listening yet, hope its not as bad as Mikey says!!

4. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

My UK first is indeed a bit distorted...

What other version should I look for? :righton:

5. Topcheeseman

Topcheeseman Forum Resident

I have the -4,-4 copy and am listening to it as I type.
    It doesn't sound bad but I have nothing to compare it to.
    The biggest issue for me with KB is finding clean enough copies to handle the shrillness of her voice!

6. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

What are the matrix numbers? Do they end in dash 1, dash 2, dash 3?

It's entirely possible that the early -2 /-2 pressing is a first pressing.

When Band On The Run was first released in the U.K., there were 2 cuts issueed simultaneously, the -1 / -1 and -2 / -2. Both are considered first pressings. I have a -2 / -2. It's a beauty.

7. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I have an early -3/-1 UK EMI pressing. Has the "remember yourself" in the dead wax of Side 1. It's not bad - a bit better than the US, not nearly as good as the Japanese LP.

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

The first Japanese pressing is miles ahead of anything else.

Raving Russell likes this.
  9. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I have a UK -2 on side one and -1 on side two
    side one has the Rember yourself in the dead wax

I like the cover of the Japanese black triangle CD I have. Pink leotard is the Japanese vinyl the same?

10. Scott Wheeler

Yes.

But be aware. there are two different pressings. the first one is the one to get.

This is the good one
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KATE-BUSH-K...9430951?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5647a8c7a7

This is not
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kate-Bush-K...6740985?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item1c05d21f79

11. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

12. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I just listened to my -4-4 pressing I bought last week. Sounds fantastic, might never have been played, no distortion at all.

If the voice sounds shrill then there look for other causes in your system. She sings high, particularly on Wuthering Heights, but it is well recorded and sounds clean (no shrillness) on my system.

willboy likes this.
  13. ttvvbb

ttvvbb New Member

Got a NM copy of the Japanese pressing (EMS-81042) from a local shop for less than U$7 last week - Great sonic - Love it so much :goodie:

14. SergioRZ

Just checked, mine is probably not a first press...

YAX 5389-5 Remember Yourself
    YAX 5390-4

I also bought a japanese LP EMS-81042... tried for a couple of minutes just to check noise levels and I'm surprised that it is quite noisy (looks at least Excellent)... first impressions on the mastering are not great, seems like it lacks some bass and high frequencies are jacked up... it was a very quick listening, wil try it again after a good cleaning (I doubt that background noise goes away, but I'll try).

15. Scott Wheeler

that makes me happy

16. Scott Wheeler

and that makes me sad. Sorry you did not like it.

17. lukt

lukt New Member

I also have -2 / -1 pressing, and "Rember yourself" on side one.
    It´s been a while since I last listened to it, but I don´t remember it being distorted a bit.
    :thumbsup:

18. SergioRZ

Well... after cleaning, the persistent and intrusive background noise is completely gone! :eek:

Probably some kind of "treatment" was applied to the record surface (it really looked perfect, nothing like I would expect to hear noise from) and after going through my RCM routine it was removed... ?

19. SergioRZ

Ok, finally made a good comparison between my original UK pressing and the Japanese pressing mentioned above...

Initial impressions stand.

The UK LP has a more natural sound, the bass blooms a bit more with more energy, midrange also sounds bigger. The higher frequencies can sometimes sound rolled-off but still overall it sounds right (most of the time).

On the Japanese LP there is an obvious change on the higher frequencies, but it's not really all bad, it's just different and can work very well on some tracks where the cymbals are very obscured in the mix of the UK LP but on the Japanese LP you can hear them clearly like they should... on the wrong side, this EQ move can sometimes make the piano and voice sound a little bit artificial...

I could hear some distortion on both LP's (mostly on Wuthering Heights), but the Japanese LP is a little bit better in that department, everything sounds just a little bit clearer and in its right place.

I'll keep them both (also for the different artwork), but probably my listening will be mostly from the UK LP. :righton:

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews New Member

I have a YAX 5389-1 YAX 5390-1 pressing on a white label, which has 'Remember yourself' on the YAX 5389-1 side. I have yet to play or compare with my other version. I will report back. Trevor

21. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I have the same pressing (-2/-1, with "Rember yourself" on side one). I haven't listened in a while either, but I don't remember any obvious distortion. I do remember finding the sound unusually lush and tubey, which I liked.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

How about the Yugoslavian pressing?

23. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews New Member

I have a YAX 5389-1 YAX 5390-1 pressing on a white label, which has 'Remember yourself' on the YAX 5389-1 side. I have yet to play or compare with my other version. I will report back. Trevor​

I have now played the record and the sound is great, no distortion, the saxophone track was especially good. ​

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Found a -1, -3 pressing with "Remember" in the dead wax. The generic EMI inner has "3/78" so I assume this is an early copy since the album came out in February 1978. No distortion at all, even the high notes sound crystal clear.

Would it still make sense to get a Japanese pressing for other reasons than the artwork?

25. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I have the -4 (remember yourself, side a). no distortion to report.
    bought this in a charity shop, £1. few crackles but otherwise a surprisingly good sound for such thin vinyl!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.