The Rolling Stones "AFTERMATH" and bitter songs involving women

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

We listened to the Stones' AFTERMATH tonight during dinner (not the SACD but the glorious London import CD) and I was struck (not for the first time) at how many songs on there are downright hostile towards the opposite sex.

"Take It Or Leave It", "Stupid Girl", "Mother's Little Helper", "Out Of Time", "Under My Thumb", etc.

At least a few of the Stones must have been "bitter in love" by that point in their lives...

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

London import from - Germany?

3. Steve Hoffman

Si.

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

This is actually an often theme throughout their career. Think Some Girls...

Bob

5. Drew

Drew Senior Member

If this is a thread about the Rolling Stones then post is a thread crap but for some reason I always thought Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull was a guy who had strange ideas about women. Isn't "Locomotive Breath" about a woman who's perceived as being "out of control"?

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmmmm, indy mike's Pick ONE topic o' the week: Wayward waxings waylaying wimmin' (just kidding, folks) - yeah, Under My Thumb certainly comes to mind as a less than pleasant little Stones ditty. I'll add The Chocolate Watchband's stupendously misogynistic Let's Talk About Girls to the heap...

7. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

The Rolling Stones may have been my first love. I was a small child when I discovered their music. It has been a weird journey growing to maturity and getting the gist of their lyrics.

8. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Lyle Lovett has always had to defend his songs against the "misogynist" label. I always thought they had a sense of humor to them...to each his own, I guess.

9. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Hi Steve,

Funny, I've been playing "Aftermath" myself, lately. I find it hard to sing along with songs like "Stupid Girl" because the lyrics are sooo degrading. Good song, though...

BTW, I think it's really cool that you get to listen to the Stones during dinner...That Karla is a saint!

10. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

or honest about..
    Big difference between talking about individual cases/experiences and sloganeering.

11. Steve Hoffman

She is indeed. Michael bops to UNDER MY THUMB. Hope he doesn't remember the words...

12. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Awww, he bops...How could he not, I guess...Darn catchy tune! :)

He's gonna remember that his Dad played some cool tunes when he was growing up, you watch. :thumbsup:

13. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I think Mick Jagger was breaking up with his girlfriend of the time (Jenny Shrimpton?) or at least feeling very constrained by her and thinking of breaking up.

14. Steve Hoffman

Dylan also went though his "bitter about women" phase. Lasted a lot longer...

It Ain't Me, Babe
    Like A Rolling Stone
    Positively 4th Street
    Idiot Wind

And so on...

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

First, Steve, congrats on finding this amazing woman who likes listening to rock music during dinner!

Second, I also notice patterns in albums where there seems to be a prevailing theme in the songs. Funny, I notice that the Stones have always recorded seemingly misogynist songs.

Third, my wife "might" go for listening to rock music during dinner, but her mother would have a fit!

16. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Re: Re: The Rolling Stones "AFTERMATH" and bitter songs involving women

Chrissie Shrimpton was Jagger's girlfriend at the time. I'm almost positive that "Yesterday's Papers" is an "ode" to Ms. Shrimpton.

17. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

"Ride on Baby" would be another Stones song that would fit nicely with the "Aftermath" theme. I personally don't take these songs to be a dig on women per-say, but a dig on an individually woman in a relationship gone bad.

18. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

"Sittin' On A Fence" isn't really much of an endorsement of marriage ...

I've got to say that some of the Stones' more bitter songs can be a good short-term salve after a bad breakup.

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ya mean the Tongues of Truth don'tch!

20. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Ooops - shoulda said version - The Tongues done it first! I gotta get that Bomp set, don't I???

The Remains Don't Look Back and Steppin' Out by Paul Revere and the Raiders would fit right in...

21. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

maybe these hostile songs were therapy for The Rolling Stones and Dylan! :D I don't know about you, but I can't imagine Bob Dylan lying on a sofa with a psychiatrist :laugh:

22. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, we could add "Bitch" to the list, but why bother, it's so obvious...

Maybe the most interesting 'I hate my girl' song was Bobby Marchan's version of "There Is Something On Your Mind," originally recorded by Big Jay McNeely on Swingin', adapted the next year by Bobby Robinson's Fire label. I mean, by the end, he's a cuckolded guy, shoots the lover and then his girl, too. There's a certain....matter of fact way Marchan sings this one that's more than a little spooky....:eek:

And best heard on Marchan's Relic CD, where the song is indexed into the two parts as heard on the Fire 45.

ED:ed:

23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The Stones were marketed as the "bad boys" of rock in comparison to the Beatles. I believe there was some ad or saying that went like "would you want your daughter to date a Rolling Stone?" The songs, especially Under my Thumb, helped solidify that "nasty" image that they were trying to portray. Plus, it seems like any group or individual that has women throwing themselves at them almost always seems to treat women like objects. Maybe it's because they can pick and choose from the hundreds at will. I don't know. I know that today's Rap artists make the Stones look like school kids with their lyrics and actions.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Still, Mick Jagger definitely had the love/hate relationship with the opposite sex in those days(and probably still! :laugh: ). Very alienating point of view.

Evan

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Big Bad Stones...:laugh:
    Still Rollin...:thumbsup:

The Beatles had their moments..."Run For Your Life"...Hmmm, Rather see you DEAD little GIRL..subtle, huh:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.