TT Dynamic Range Meter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Smith, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

2. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I did. V.1.4 works well (has some quirks with variable bit rate mp3s however).

3. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

Still it supports only WAV/MP3 in 16 bit / 44.1 kHz... :(

4. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, I noticed that aswell, which is a shame because it's my high resolution 24/96 files that I wanted to do my dynamic range tests on. I guess I'll have to make duplicate copies and 16/44.1.

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Just download a sound workstation (like Reaper, which can be evaluated without restrictions), import your hi-rez files and render them as 16/44.1 WAVs. The dynamics won't change if you leave levels intact.

6. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Yes, I use this program a lot to compare the "dynamic range" of masterings.

7. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Yep, I have the off-line and in-line VST programs.

The off-line meter is great for determining the volume of a production by checking average RMS column. The Dynamic range data is also useful data, when coupled with volume.

The in-line VST meter is pretty neat too. While it is noted as a tool for mastering your own music, if you run a feed of the playing audio into a free VST host software, you can have real time Dynamic Range, RMS Volume and Peak Volume displayed, seeing how the music behaves throughout it's program length.

Both useful tools.

Foobar does allow some info to be collected by using ReplayGain 'scan...' option. This generates a peak, which is similar but more detailed than EAC's, and a +/-dB figure.
    This dB figure would be the number that would be stored in the ReplayGain tag in flac/mp3 etc files to allow for adjusted volume on playback. It is a value which, when added to the playback volume (note values are positive and negative and adding a neg value reduces the total value - basic mathematics) makes the files output a specific dB - I believe 89dB or somewhere abouts.

So Dynamic Range meter provides DR stats and an absolute average RMS for the file
    ReplayGain scanning produces peak level and a value by which playback volume must be adjusted to maintain playback at a specified volume.

8. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

How does one get the off line version? I can only find the plug-in...

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You have to join their little club and throw 'em $30 or $40. At that point the download link will be visible.

10. For this reason I wrote a Foobar2000 component some months ago which emulates the Offline DR Meter. I mailed some source code and a beta version to the publisher (Pleasurize Music Foundation) asking for their approval to release it as freeware. Unfortunately I didn't receive any reply, could be I was using the wrong email address though. Anyway, after reading this thread I gave it another try today. If I get a response (and their approval) I will publish the component (screenshot available here).

11. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

It would be great to get this component for my Foobar2000! Keep us posted ;)

12. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Yep, gotta pay $30 USD for it (member subscription). Which is a bit harsh really, but it's a good program I use a lot, and seems largely accurate.
    At least the exchange rate was in my favour when I opened my wallet...still holding out for my holiday €'s though.

I'd love to see Foobar integration for something like this. I am so impressed with Foobar, and the community support for it. I am ashamed to admit that I only found out about it recently.

13. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

As far as I know the program is still freeware (can you make a program freeware then change it's status later on?!). I know they want money for it now, but it's still freely available from their own site. I can post the link here if it's allowed.

14. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

the download doesn't seem to work .......

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The plug-in is free but the offline one is not.

16. That would make things very confusing, as it would require a change in the license agreement. What's going to happen to users who have downloaded the software while it was still freeware and have accepted an agreement where they didn't have to pay? Are they now going to pay for the software after all? The easiest way to keep things clear is release a new version that's not freeware anymore and stop offering the earlier free version on your website.

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We had a lot of fun with this about 18 months ago. Big thread with loads of measurements.

Novelty has worn off now since we found most rate as terrible.

18. There's no download link yet, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm waiting for a reply from PMF, if they approve I'll provide a download link. I will keep you updated in this thread.

19. Yesterday I've spoken with Friedemann Tischmeyer of PMF. He informed me about the plans and future strategy of PMF. Most of it can be found in a recent newsletter from PMF. Some highlights:

- There is a planned update (late summer 2011) for the DR Metering software which will include support for FLAC and high resolution audio. Depending on research outcomes there might also be an update for the metering algorithm such to comply with the recently proposed standard regarding loudness and dynamic range (EBU ITU 1770 and EBU R128).

- Announcement of a free cross-platform tool named DR-Checker which will be distributed through computer magazines and PMF supporting websites. The DR-Checker will read out CDs or CD images from harddisk, display the DR Value and the waveform (in order to educate music consumers about the relation of DR and the waveform). The results will be synchronized with a copy of the CDDB database in order to create a public DR database.

To release the DR-Checker as freeware PMF plans to finance the development and maintenance through an affiliate marketing concept (something similar to the Amazon referral links) so it will include code for affiliate linking and tracking.

Given these developments from PMF, an intermediate release of a freeware Foobar2000 component does not seem opportune. At least that's what I've concluded from the conversation. I wish to respect PMF's future plans and development regarding their Dynamic Range meters and will therefore not publish the foobar2000 component.

20. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

You can use the VST version of the TT DR Meter with the VST adapter for foobar. This has the added benefit of working flawlessly with all kinds of files, including flac and VBR mp3, and at higher bit- and sample rates.

21. Henry66

Henry66 Forum Resident

Check this out (it's free):
    http://lts.a.se.hemsida.eu/lts/masvis
    "MasVis is a computer software that analyzes two-channel sound files that have been ripped from CD. The software provides objective support for discussions on sound quality and master processing of audio recordings. MasVis has very few settings. This makes the graphs look identical for a given CD release, regardless of who made the analysis. MasVis is freeware and runs om Microsoft Windows."

22. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

Wow, this program is fantastic! Thanks very much for the tip.

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Anything like this for Mac users?

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I really want to know the dynamic range on file on my computer?:help::cheers:

25. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Free is good. Or even ask for a donation. But having to pay for it now, is really uncool IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.