TT Dynamic Range Meter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Smith, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There has been some discussion within PMF and their overall opinion is that the foobar2000 component is supportive of their mission to raise awareness on loudness and dynamic range. They have decided that the foobar2000 component can be released but with an expiration date set to 1-Sept-2011.

This expiration date is set because they want to avoid possible confusion in the future with different versions of the Dynamic Range Offline meter. As mentioned in their recent newsletter, they plan to release an update of their meters late summer which will include the EBU R128 standard for loudness/dynamics metering.

After the expiration date the current foobar2000 component will show a message to update the component which by then should also be available from the PMF website.

The component can be downloaded from PMF and from this page.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You can even use the copy command and paste the DR+ results in a text file resulting in this:

This is what came up with my DR+ Foobar scan of my needle drop of Tom Netherton's Just As I Am LP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: ? / ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR13 -1.07 dB -18.36 dB 2:20 ?-Amazing Grace
    DR12 -1.42 dB -16.09 dB 2:49 ?-Blessed Assurance
    DR13 -0.98 dB -17.26 dB 3:05 ?-God Will Take Care of You
    DR13 -1.53 dB -16.66 dB 3:48 ?-I Love To Tell The Story
    DR12 -1.18 dB -16.43 dB 2:47 ?-I Need Thee Every Hour
    DR12 -0.85 dB -16.91 dB 4:07 ?-Jesus Medley
    DR12 -0.82 dB -16.28 dB 2:56 ?-Just As I Am
    DR13 -1.33 dB -16.92 dB 3:16 ?-My Jesus I Love Thee
    DR11 -1.30 dB -14.70 dB 3:15 ?-Near The Cross
    DR12 -1.26 dB -16.59 dB 2:28 ?-Near To The Heart of God

Number of tracks: 10
    Maximum peak difference (-0.82 dB - -1.53 dB): 0.71 dB

Official DR value (Song Mode): DR12
    ================================================================================

3. BradOlson

This is the result of the same scan using the TT DR offline 1.4 program:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: C:\Users\Brad\Desktop\Tom Netherton - Just As I Am\
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 -1.07 dB -18.35 dB Amazing Grace.wav
    DR12 -1.42 dB -16.09 dB Blessed Assurance.wav
    DR13 -0.98 dB -17.26 dB God Will Take Care of You.wav
    DR13 -1.53 dB -16.66 dB I Love To Tell The Story.wav
    DR12 -1.18 dB -16.43 dB I Need Thee Every Hour.wav
    DR12 -0.85 dB -16.91 dB Jesus Medley.wav
    DR12 -0.82 dB -16.28 dB Just As I Am.wav
    DR13 -1.33 dB -16.92 dB My Jesus I Love Thee.wav
    DR11 -1.30 dB -14.70 dB Near The Cross.wav
    DR12 -1.26 dB -16.59 dB Near To The Heart of God.wav

Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

==============================================================================================

4. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Nice one Soerin.

Foobar integration is great. Be nice if there was an option to output a log file. I was getting fed up with decoding my files from various formats (OK I was experimenting between FLAC/WV/APE etc lossless from a while ago, and my library is a bit of a mess) - and I needed WAV for the off line meter to work.
    Much easier now, and also multiple bit/frequency support.

So, is there Foobar plugin going to self destruct on September 1st, or will it disappear from being downloadable?

I am still looking at ReplayGain and seeing what correlations there are between that and DR meter output. I know ReplayGain is all based around an adjustment figure to apply to a file to bring it in line with a standard chosen RMS value, whereas DR meter is a statistical analysis output unit.

5. BradOlson

L5730, you can get a log simply by highlighting the tracks and paste it in a .txt file

6. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Yes true, but It'd be easier for me to have the option to generate log files, so I'd have to only perform one action - scan with DR meter. It's a small thing, granted, but I'm a bit lazy and like that stuff auto logged into the directory of the file/s. I'd have to navigate to that directory, or at least open containing folder in foobar, create new txt doc, and paste - I really do sound lazy don't I?

7. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

8. The planned update of the PMF DR meters is primarily aimed at using true peak determination as proposed by the BS 1770/EBU R128 standard. My aim is to keep the foobar2000 component in sync with releases from PMF.

I wanted to keep the initial release of this component as simple as possible and didn't want to write anything to disk. Writing to disk would require checking permissions, available disk space, possible read-only media in case of an audio CD etc. Writing to a logfile could be implemented in a next release however. I also received some requests to write the DR values in metadata tags which would be another option for storing the DR values. I am keeping a list of suggestions and will consider them for a next release of the component.

9. synfreak

synfreak New Member

Ahhh!

Great work soerin!
    Thanks a lot for your efforts, this is really handy for some quick comparisons because of the restrictions of the stand alone DR-Meter (WAV/MP3 only).

Hopefully you will be allowed to keep it up with the new features planned by PMF.

Thanks
    Harald

10. BradOlson

I have used the log file of a log file created by the Foobar plugin to try and create the log file for a CD to be listed on dr.loudness-war.info but it only accepts logs created from the standalone offline meter.

11. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Have you tried re-formatting it in the same way as the offline meter. I think I made an amendment to a log file created by the offline program, and the site accepted it, which brings up questions over the validity of the data on that data base.

12. I've noticed that the last line of the log output with the official DR value is missing the DR prefix in front of number. Apparently the upload script from http://dr.loudness-war.info/ scans for this prefix and reports an error when it doesn't find it. I'll fix this in a next release of the component. A workaround for now is to add the DR prefix manually with an editor before uploading.

So if the log output contains:

Code:
    Official DR value (Song Mode): 13
    Change to:

Code:
    Official DR value (Song Mode): [B]DR[/B]13

13. BradOlson

You also have to remove the Duration column as the upload script from http://dr.loudness-war.info/ does not accept the duration column either

14. An updated version 1.1.0 of the foobar2000 component including some requested features is now available. It's a beta release and requires testing on different Windows/foobar2000 configurations. If you're interested in testing it you can download it from www.jokhan.demon.nl/DynamicRange. The added features are listed in the changelog. You can send any comment and bug report using the form on that same page. Depending on the feedback and possible bugs I'll release a regular version shortly.

15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Trying the new DR plug-in for fb2k. So far, so good... Keep up the good work, Soerin ;)

16. Quidsane

Quidsane Forum Resident

??? Well, I sure as heck found the offline version for free.
    And from their own website, too:
    http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/es/es/download
    Scroll down...:righton:

Looks like it's version 1.1

17. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I found it too; it sort of comes and goes.

I got an email that there was a big upgrade to the plug in one, the pay one, so maybe they're moving the versions down to free.

I wish the add-on would work well with Audacity, it's a heck of a meter and I'd love it for recording. Does anyone use it for that.. and with what recorder?

18. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Any ppm can give you dynamic range
    Garage Band has one
    Not limited to MP3.....

19. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

The latest one I know of v1.4 offline.
    That link above directs to v1.1 offline.

v1.1 only scans a single file. v1.4 scans a file or a whole folder.

For the record, I went back to the first version of the foobar plugin as the style suits me better.

20. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

The reason why I use the old (first v1) foobar plugin is that it supports reading from the playlist rather than where the files are from. I can have a playlist with files from all different folders across different drives and v1 will give me a DR log for all of that. The new ones will scan the files in the playlist and put separate logs, for each, in each files location, but refuses to generate a log for a batch of files.

I think the DR offline scanner code doesn't read multiple formats/bitrates at one time. FLAC (from PCM Wav) and PCM files together get read without a problem in the foobar plugin, but say there's an MP3 in the playlist, and it'll just not work at all. The offline standalone meter 1.4 will read PCM (not lossless compessed files like FLAC though) and MP3 if they are in the same folder, but will put the MP3's at the bottom of the list.

21. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Well as we guessed, it's the 1st September, and the old Foobar plugin has decided to not work. It was expected, so, I looked around and found the 3rd beta 1.1.0.

Doesn't work properly though.
    I don't want it creating log files everywhere by itself, so disabled them in the prefs:tools. When I right click DR meter and click show log, it opens notepad with emptiness, nothing.

I liked how 1.0.0 worked. I like it to scan all different file types and not have to save the log in different places :-(

22. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^ Yep, I reverted back to fb2k DR plug-in v.1.0.0 too. Found it strange that the new version would not update the clipboard with scanned results (even if you turn off the default log file creation)...

23. Did you succeed in bypassing the checking that prevents us from using 1.0.0 as of now?

I had been looking for another version for lack of anything better but didn't find it on Google ("http://www.dynamicrange.de/de/free-downloads"is not updated!).

I finally got it thanks to a direct link on this forum to the releaser's site , here it is for those looking: http://jokhan.home.xs4all.nl/DynamicRange/index.htm

24. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Yeah, but it only part works. Only if you have it write to file, and then it'll only scan some of the files in the playlist (if they are from different folders/directories)

25. That's weird, because it scans every file I give it, even from different folders (different artists and different albums from different folders).

I have even tried with two cuesheets (for two wholly different one file rips) from two different folders and it does scan all the songs as if they were separate files (one file for each song).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.