BEATLES LPs JAPAN - URGENT

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick

Rick New Member Thread Starter

These LPs simply follow the original CD masters that had been pressed 11
    years ago on the Odeon (not sure of spelling here) label."

From our guy in Japan direct from EMI....

Bad news - see above.....

Good news? We have NOT placed our order!

Unfortunately there may be some people that still want them so I will need to know anyone that does not! Please e-mail me at [email protected]

Sorry guys.... I know some may be happy but.... I think it is another sad day in Beatles-land.....

THANKS
    Rick

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

My suggestion for folks who would like analog is to get the Blue UK (or Japan) Collection Box or items separately. It'll cost a lot less than what the new Toshiba collection's going for.....

Todd

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Thanks for letting everyone know, Rick. The vinyl should be interesting to people who haven't owned a clean collection of Beatles vinyl, but it's good to know that you've checked things through.

They are expensive, but at least people can make an informed decision.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sorry to hear this Rick.
    I know you and many others here (including myself) were enthusiastic at the prospect of new pressings of analog Beatles....
    I'm afraid NO NEW analog Beatles in my lifetime.

:(

5. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Dumb dumb dumb, and at $50 a record too! That's a boatload of Moxie (and shortsightedness) from Apple & Toshiba/EMI. And to call them Analog is just another serious gaffe among many.

What the heck happened between now & when all these great reissues were coming out in the 70's & early 80's? I mean the Mono boxes & BC 13, the singles & EP sets, tons of Japanese, German & UK vinyl.. Unbelievable how much has changed.

6. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Todd's right! I'm very happy with my Blue UK Box. Sounds just wonderful if you can snag a minty copy. IMHO better than the MOFI titles I used to own.:)

7. Sckott

Ronflugelguy, how much did you pay for your BC13?

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Last January. I think it was $225. Then I had to pay $75 for the German Magical Mystery Tour.

9. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The compact disc happened.

It started when EMI decided that the CD releases (1987-88) were going to be identical everywhere in the world -- no U.S. versions, no Canadian versions, no German versions, no Meet the Beatles!, no Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!, no Die Beatles, no hi-hat opening to "All My Loving," no "false start" on "I'm Looking Through You," etc.

You also have too many people who have to sign off on any proposed Beatles project. Believe me, there are many creative thinkers at U.S. Capitol and British EMI and in EMI outposts elsewhere in the world who would love to do the Beatles' catalog in a way to make both the "dabbler" and the hard-core fan happy, but when it comes to doing anything, their hands and feet are tied.

It's because of this that the Beatles' catalog is in such horrible shape currently, and why the market for bootleg Beatles material remains healthy.

I feel very fortunate that we in the States were able to get those colored vinyl "for jukeboxes only" 45s in the early and mid 1990s. There have been proposals kicking around to do yet another set, with all different titles from the first sets, but it's been a non-starter so far.

10. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

And so, ours wallets remain bound too.

Just today, I perused BB and found all titles displayed on an end cap. Stop buying em' people and they'll get the message.

11. japes

japes Senior Member

I feel very fortunate that we in the States were able to get those colored vinyl "for jukeboxes only" 45s in the early and mid 1990s. There have been proposals kicking around to do yet another set, with all different titles from the first sets, but it's been a non-starter so far. [/B][/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember these. Were they actually worth getting?

12. Sckott

The jukebox 45s? Some had mono mixes when there was none (Hey Jude) most were fold-overs, some were odd pairing of singles. I have them. Sad to say, even though they're neat, that's where the fun ends. Another American concoction not worth the money.

Most were better off collecting the original UK singles or the black box of 45's that included the neat MMT EP.

13. xios

xios Senior Member

All original 45's of Hey Jude are mono.

14. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Since I'm one of "those" collectors I decided to keep my order in for the entire new set of LPs. You only live once...

15. John

John Senior Member

You said it!!

16. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

"I read the news today, oh boy" :(

17. Sckott

I thought the US Apple single had "Hey Jude" in Stereo and "Revolution" in Mono?

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Nope. Both tracks were mono. The first US stereo Beatles single was "Get Back" and "Don't Let Me Down."

19. Sckott

I stand corrected!

20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I just want to thank Rick for his diligent and devoted efforts to find out for us what the story is on this new set. Yet another reason, as if we needed one, to support RT. Whatever we may decide about purchasing it, we were given info and leeway, and I'm really appreciative of this.

21. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Yeah, thanks Rick for the true story!.:)

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

True words, but regarding your first sentence, believe me, it wasn't EMI who decided this....

23. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I canceled my order with Red Trumpet today but I did keep the "Let It Be Naked" LP as the Japanese pressing may be better than the standard version.

Very sad news and kind of makes you mad at the stupidity of someone. Sure the Beatles catalog will continue to sell as is but imagine how many more albums (or cds) would be sold if they went back to the analog masters and made a remastered version. Many of us who have already purchased these would re-buy them as well as those who have held off because of the poor sound quality.

From a bottom line perspective, the record companies and all involved would make a ton of dough while finally satisfying the customer. Certainly record companies realize this based on all the newly remastered and deluxe editions that they have been releasing over the last couple of years.

It sounds like a win win for all involved. I just don't get it. The decisions must be coming from "A Fool On the Hill...."

24. "I'm down, I'm really down. I'm down..." :( Sure glad I held on to my BC 13 blue box that I acquired in around 1987. It hasn't been played very often as I have regular 1970s pressings of all the albums and a seperate copy of the U.K. rarities as well.

Thanks for the heads up Rick! :)

Where is EMI pressing Let It Be Naked for the North American market? I was reading an article on the history of EMI recently and it said that the vinyl pressing plant in Hayes was still operational. In fact some time ago, EMI began pressing heavier weight vinyl in response to demands from audiophiles.

25. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Thanks for the information, Rick. Sorry it didn't go as expected with the "Original Analogue Series".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.