BEATLES LPs JAPAN - URGENT

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Sad, but true. I guess it was around 1986 or so, that EMI renegotiated with the Beatles and gave up all that control.

I bet they wished now they hadnt done that. Their marketing dept must have told them that by 1990, demand for Beatles product would be dimished due to the age of the baby boomers.

The other question is...how much would EMI have to pay APPLE to gain total, complete control over The Beatles Masters? 700 million? What do you think?

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Mikey:

Although a huge check speaks volumes, I don't think the group and their representatives would ever agree to relinquishing that control again.

-Kevin

3. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Correct....which is the reason why the compact disc release of the Beatles catalog was delayed until 1987.

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Don't you just wish Bill Gates was an audiophile AND a Beatles fan?

5. Rick

Rick New Member Thread Starter

Oh NO!!! I also sent an inquiry to a customer of ours that is a well-known reviewer in Japan and is very well connected...

Thank you for your support every my order
    I know the detail about your inquiry.
    Please see below. these are analog original issues every title.
    But I am sorry for this web shows just Japanese.

NOW WHAT!!!

Steve: Could they be using the old masters??? Do you know anyone over there at Toshiba???

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

OH NO!!!!!!!!!! is right.

Here we go again.

THIS IS fun. :laugh:

7. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

So that's why we get the same old digital junk on vinyl and Cd, and will probably, until the current catalog owners pass on (unfortunate and kind of morbid) I guess. By the time they actually get it right my ears will probably be long gone. :(

8. peter

peter Senior Member

Very interesting Steve.

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I hope Rick's NEW message doesn't get lost...

Folks,

Rick is saying that a well connected reviewer says...

THESE ARE ANALOG ORIGINAL ISSUES...NOW WHAT!!!!!!

The saga continues.

10. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Rick did you tell your contact in Japan about what the reps at EMI told you?

i would hope that EMI would know better than your reviewer friend. Although you said he has connections in high places. What does that mean?

"Will it go round in circles"

Here we go again is right..............

11. Rick

I am still taking the position that these will be digitally sourced... that way the folks that get them... and IF they are analog and sound great then it's the icing or whatever...

12. Rick

Keith:

Yes I did tell him.. the problem with our guy talking to EMI is that more than likely it is someone from distribution..

Well connected? He (literally) has a fan club in Japan -- to the labels themselves

13. peter

peter Senior Member

THIS IS GETTING CRAZY...................................

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

All someone has to do over there is play any of the first four albums. If they are in stereo, it's analog; no digital tape was made of the stereo mixes. If it's mono, it's digital....

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If it still exists, someone should ship them the SHZE 117 metalwork - if they tried to use it, Apple would probably send out a "cease and desist" order faster than you could say "cease and desist"! ;)

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Martin,

I'm sure the Beatle loving Toshiba executives have CD-R's of all the stereo Abbey Road tape copies in their personal collection, heh.

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

One of them is probably listening to one of those CD-R's as we speak (with a big grin on his face)! :)

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I recall the Beatles gaining control of all releases in 86 on was due to the lawsuit filed. The Beates were able to prove that Capitol in the US (if not EMI also) had sold millions of dollars of product and written it off as promotional copies.

A lot of money was not reported by Capitol, and it was well documented. The Beates sued and asked for return of master tapes, all control, all rights.

Capitol was in a major bind here, and saw the writing on the wall. The outcome of this one was not going to be good.

So with some serious negotiations giving up control (but not ownership of masters, or a large cut of the profits), Capitol/EMI were reduced to providing manufacturing/distribution for the Beatles/Apple product.

What went around, came around for Capitol. And EMI paid a price for looking the other way. Paybacks are a bit*h!!!

It is one of the sucess stories of artists getting what they deserved.

Too many artists got jacked around, and had no money to hire lawyers and get it straightened out.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.