Grateful Dead Road Trips Vol 4 No 1 just announced (May 1969)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Edgard Varese, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese Thread Starter

2. Edgard Varese

The info:

Our popular Road Trips series begins its fourth big year with just our second release from the 1960s, and Vol. 4, No. 1 is a certifiably great one: Two complete performances from the Big Rock Pow Wow festival on the Seminole Indian reservation
    in Hollywood, Florida, May 23 and 24, 1969. If you dig ’69 Dead—and let’s face it, who doesn’t?—then these two sets, spread across three discs, will be right in your wheelhouse. Beautifully recorded by the inimitable Owsley Stanley, aka “Bear,” just three months after the amazing Fillmore West shows that gave us Live Dead (and the fantabulous Fillmore West 1969 box and compilation), and a month after the Midwest shows immortalized on Dick’s Picks 26, the Big Rock Pow Wow set gives us the ragin’ beast that was ’69 Dead at its most feral and wild.

On Disc One we have the full Live Dead sequence of “Dark Star” > “Saint Stephen” > “The Eleven” and “Lovelight,” but each component of this quartet of tunes is loaded with unique moments and fiery interplay. “The Eleven” is particularly ferocious, and the half-hour “Lovelight” will definitely get you shakin’ your groove thang as you bop along to the Mighty Pig & Company.

The next day’s set (and Disc Two of RT 4.1) begins with a smokin’ “Lovelight”; same song, totally different feel and vibe, as the band eases into the set and builds to its first few climaxes, with Pig once again in firm control, making damn sure that nobody has their hands in their pockets. Then it’s on to a fine “Doin’ That Rag” (from their soon to-be-released third album, Aoxomoxoa), a truly stirring version of the relatively rare “He Was a Friend of Mine,” which charges into “China Cat,” followed by another scorching “Eleven,” and capped by a dire and emotional “Death Don’t Have No Mercy.”

Disc Three includes a charged “Morning Dew,” “Alligator,” “St. Stephen” exploding out of “drums” (for the only time during its ’68-’71 incarnation) and more. Nothin’ tame about this mind-blowing stuff!

Tracklist

CD 1:

1. Hard To Handle
    2. Dark Star
    3. St. Stephen
    4. The Eleven
    5. Turn On Your Lovelight

CD 2:

1. Introduction
    2. Turn On Your Lovelight
    3. Doin' That Rag
    4. He Was A Friend Of Mine
    5. China Cat Sunflower
    6. The Eleven
    7. Death Don't Have No Mercy

CD 3:

1. Morning Dew
    2. Me and My Uncle
    3. Yellow Dog Story
    4. Alligator
    5. Drums
    6. St. Stephen
    7. Feedback
    8. We Bid You Goodnight

I shall definitely be in for this one. :)

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Excellent, a show that I don't already have on CD-R. :righton:

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Looks like no pre-order bonus disc?

5. Edgard Varese

I think they have now stopped doing that (there was no bonus with the last one).

6. Doodah Man

Doodah Man Member

Looks to be a good one. My pre-order is in.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Wonder why they decided to apparently stop offering bonus discs for early orders. I have always found that as incentive to order. Now one can pick this up without any urgency (other than the need to add to our meager collections). Seems like a marketing blunder IMO.

8. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Can someone explain the difference between the Dick's Pick series and the Road Trips series?
    I don't know they decide to release a show in one series versus the other.

9. Edgard Varese

Dick's Picks have been discontinued after 36 volumes. Road Trips is the archival live release series that has taken its place, focussing somewhat less on complete shows.

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The Dick's Picks series ended in 2005, after #36 (9/21/72)

11. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

"Put on the Dead and spread!"

12. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Looks like a pair of acoustic Jerry shows also

13. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I'm in. There's another 30 bucks my grandkids won't get! :D

14. Edgard Varese

Just noticed the "China Cat" > "The Eleven". :)

15. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I wonder if stopping the bonus discs was in response to customer feedback. A lot of people posted comments at deadnet complaining about it, saying it was a bonanza for the ebay gougers, and tough on those fans who had to scrimp and save to keep up with the flow of releases. I think they had a point.

16. aural sax

aural sax Member

I for one am glad they stopped the bonus disc nonsense. Far too many of these wound up on Ebay where they commanded ridiculous out of reach prices. If you didn't order within the first two weeks of release you were left swimming with the Ebay sharks.

17. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I have the 5/24 show, it's killer !...this version seems to be complete as mine doesn't have the 1st 3 songs on disc 3....I used to go to the Seminole Reservation for fieldtrips when I was in elementary school....

18. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

Dig that avatar brudda :righton:

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Elaborate, please.

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Just got my email and this explains the Jerry acoustics. So how much of the Pure Jerry Lunt-Fontanne that I already own is also on the new release Ragged But Right?

21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Now we're gettin' some good stuff again!

22. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Yowza!!

:goodie::goodie::goodie:

They had to move the set lists around to fit on these discs, but it's complete! These are some serious shows to have.:love:

23. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Primal DEAD!!!!

24. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

My Q exactly. How much double-dipping are we in for?

25. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

For anyone considering whether to purchase this, I strongly urge doing so. I obviously haven't heard the mastering on this release or anything like that, but I have had the second show (Discs 2 and 3 here) since the cassette days. It is absolutely smoking! Super high energy Grateful Dead music, in my opinion one of the best shows of 1969 (and yes, at this point I think I have heard almost all of the shows which circulate from that year). Both the initial lovelight and the first jam (Rag>Friend>CC>11>Death) are just bouncing and ecstatic. The last jam (Alligator>Stephen>FB>AWBYGN) is much heavier than the Dead sometimes were, and added in is a level of communication that is surreal. At one point you hear a full-bore jam stop in its tracks, the drummers do about 20 seconds of vocal scatting, and on cue the band roars back in at absolutely full energy! It'll knock you out of your seat.

Hilariously, I think this is the show where at the end of that sequence you hear Jerry say something like "hang around, the Youngbloods will be on in a few minutes". OK, I like the Youngbloods just fine, but the idea that they would try to follow that alien spaceship landing is just absurd!

I will be very happy to be purchasing this. Excellent choice by the powers that be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.