Grateful Dead Road Trips Vol 4 No 1 just announced (May 1969)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Edgard Varese, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Hah, very punny!

No, really, we're just bustin' yer chops.

S'all good. :edthumbs:

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Me too, this has to have a negative effect of initial sales, everyone likes a bonus.:agree:

3. I stopped buying them for that reason. I feel I already have too much Dead and without the feeling that I would be missing out on something that I can't get later, I stopped buying the Road Trips releases (I have all of the ones that came with a bonus disc). There is just too much to buy at the moment...

It is called "incentive" and is one of the simplest and most effective marketing tools.

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

There has been talk on Deadnet that the whole bonus-incentive-hello-ebay-scammers thing was not in the true spirit of the band. One could say that the entire DP/RT concept is against the community of tapers spirit. On the other hand, I would like to believe that those at Deadnet have heard the plaintive cries of the deadheads who cannot necessarily just place their pre-orders as soon as these things are announced (especially given the rate at which they are being released these days). And so they have removed the bonus disc option. We are now getting 3 disc sets from these releases anyway, so still the same amount of music. I think it's a good move overall, and if it means their initial sales dip a little, maybe they will pick back up again over the longterm, as the fans buy them as and when they can. If not, there's still the satisfaction that it's not all about the almighty dollar.

5. Adam2

Adam2 Forum Resident

Well, really, it really sucks to find out that a complete show WAS released including a bonus disc, but after it goes out of print only the incomplete show is available.

6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Anytime you pay for music it's all about the almighty dollar. :D

7. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Gotta love '69 Dead! Was a little disappointed at the Fillmore East 70 show not being complete (unless you bought the bonus disc), but these Road Trips have largely been pretty good. I wonder if there's any releasable 66-68 stuff?

8. That is correct, but it came with a 20% cost increase. Would they have removed the bonus disc and keep the price at $19.98 for the 3-CD sets, it would have been perfectly fine...

9. Doodah Man

Doodah Man Member

I'll take the 20% increase if it means I won't have to pay $80 for it on ebay.

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

In case anyone was wondering what shipping is on this $23.98 Road Trips, here you go:

standard: $3.99
    rush: $7.57
    overnight: $9.96

Occasionally I get a lower shipping cost when I order by phone.

Ships in 5 days, for those of you like me who have been procrastinating.

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have been waiting for some kind of documentation as to what exactly is on Ragged But Right. Lower price and free shipping makes it tempting to get the two Jerry's at the same time, but are the tracks on Ragged the same performances as on Lunt-Fontanne?

12. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Anyone know how many trips are in this series?

13. tweazel

tweazel Member

There is a complete track listing on Ragged But Right on dead.net.

14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I can't answer your question, sorry. I never bought the Lunt-Fontanne sets because I heard so many complaints about the SQ. Anyone care to chime in on that?

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Lists the songs, but not the date/time, etc. Hearing multiple performances of the same songs is a given with Dead/Garcia but I don't want the same exact performances. I know others have complained about the sound on both Lunts collections. I thoroughly enjoy them and they get as much play as any of my Pure Jerry (and I have them all).

16. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Anyone had their order philled yet? Opinions?

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I got an email saying it has shipped. Should have in a couple days.

18. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I ordered Road Trips 4.1 and Ragged But Right (already owned JGAB - Almost Acoustic) and received my discs yesterday. I didn't get the chance to spin them last night but will have time tonight. Looking forward to it!

19. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Got mine yesterday.No time to enjoy yet..

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Listening to mine now. "Hard To Handle" shows just how much it would improve by 1971...

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

To answer the Lunt-Fontanne questions - only one performance overlaps with the Pure Jerry release - "Goodnight Irene" from 10/31. Everything else on "Ragged but Right" appears to be unique to that CD.

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Meanwhile, back at the Pow Wow....."Dark Star" heats up from the get-go and never lets up. Amazing energy. One of the best of the year.

23. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

Got mine yesterday too but haven't listen yet - bummer:(

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Thanks for that information. I went ahead and ordered the package without knowing for sure. Now really looking forward to Ragged.

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

"He Was A Friend of Mine" is beautiful, probably the best I've heard. Dig the transition into "China Cat Sunflower" - it seems to come out of nowhere. I really like those '69 "China Cats" with TC on organ, and this one is one of the best. The outro jam cooks!

I'm lovin' this release so far. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.