Huge Heifetz Original Jacket Collection is coming!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

Attached Files:

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That looks nice. I hope it's as cheap as the Davis set.

3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

20000yen
    175 euro
    245 us dollars

4. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

Wow ! That's quite a deal. To put things in perspective, the new Japanese pressing of the John Lennon Signature box goes for ¥19,800 (tax included) !

All the best,

Robert

5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I hope Sony does an Original Jacket Toscanini collection, or a straight re-release of the complete 1990's RCA Toscanini Collection. I never did get them all.

That Heifetz set sure looks nice, I just may have to save a few bucks and get it.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It does say it's an import from Europe, and as imports are more expensive hopefully it will be even cheaper in the EU.

7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

At that price, a no-brainer.

8. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Wow! Even though I have the earlier edition in two large plastic cases, I want this one. I wonder how much crossover there is between the two sets?

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! :goodie:

That's a good question. The Heifetz Collection (housed in the two large plastic cases with the violin design) was 65 CDs total. I believe that collection only covered his RCA Victor recordings, but not his Columbia Records recordings. Now that Sony and BMG are one company, RCA Records and Columbia Records are under the same parent label.

This collection is 103 CDs. However, because the "jackets" collections try to replicate the original LPs, the play times on the CDs are short. For example, they'll keep a 2 LP set as two CDs, even if they could easily be combined onto one CD.

The complete Heifetz Collection lists for thousands of dollars on eBay (when I see it come up), and much of the material has been out of print for years. Back in the 1990s, I bought a number of the individual titles in the Heifetz Collection, so skipped buying the entire set. Unfortunately, the titles that I did not pick up wound up becoming ridiculously expensive -- presumably because less people bought those, and they became rare as they went out of print. So it is great to see so much Heifetz material come out for under $2.50 per disc.

Should also note that EMI has an "Icons" box set on Heifetz. However, I have never been able to figure out where that material comes from (I do not own the "Icons" box set).

10. carledwards

Good info, thanks. I will have to fight off the urge to get this, too, I guess. :D
    There's bound to be considerable material I don't have as the earlier collection is all RCA, as you point out.

11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Love the whole Original Jackets concept... while I realize the quality is nothing approaching the Japanese mini-LP/promo box concept, the fair price Sony/BMG is getting for these makes for a good trade-off IMHO.

There appears to be a Herbie Hancock one brewing on the jazz side, I hope they keep going on both the jazz and classical side (sure wish I had not missed the big Glenn Gould box).

12. George P

George P Notable Member

This month will go down in history as being the month of the box set.

13. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

who cares about hugh heffner's jackets?

hmm... is this about his famous dinner jacket collection?

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Icons box is 1930's stuff he recorded at mainly Abbey Road studios. I think there may also be a few things from then 1940's as well, but it's mainly 30's.

Back to the complete jacket collection - has anyone seen a UK or EU listing yet for this?

15. triple

triple Senior Member

Mastering by:
    めて発表された音源

or is it:
    大いに注目されます ?

16. triple

triple Senior Member

This makes sense. However, I suspect it will not take place. :shake:

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Why?

The link in the first post even has a picture of it.

18. triple

triple Senior Member

I am a half-empty kind of person. Never mind... ;)

19. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

From another forum:

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Looks great. May pick it up if I start working again.

22. aleg

aleg Member

23. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

24. carledwards

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too!

Resisting so far, but it's in my want list at amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.