Huge Heifetz Original Jacket Collection is coming!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Word to the wise: Heifetz OJC will sell out, probably faster than Glenn Gould, IMO. Miles Davis Complete Album Collection has had a couple of pressings to meet larger demand, that's why it's still in print. But the classical stuff will come and go, and soon you will see $1000+ prices for the Heifetz as you do now for Gould. P.S. Bernstein Symphony Edition is sold-out.

2. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll be placing my order on Amazon sooner than I thought. I just recently bought the Gould collection from Geoman76 for about the first MSRP. It was a sweet deal considering the insane prices now listed in the Amazon marketplace.

Another collection I'd like to pick up at some point would be Kyung Wha Chung's complete works (this may be Korean only?)

3. I was lucky and found the Gould at a bargain price in a small independent store just after it went OOP, wised up for the Heifetz and got it straight away.

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Amazon pre-orders have shipped. Price now $295, up from $235 at first and $250 around Christmas.

5. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I received mine from Amazon today. I wish it was the $235 price but I waited until the last minute to order. I did see that Importcds had it for I think $234 last week. I decided to go with Amazon in case there were any manufacturing problems with the set. I was also pretty confident that I wouldn't get shut out from Amazon. I'm looking forward to listening to this set. It was nice to see so much chamber music and such a great variety of composers/compositions. It's not like you have ten versions of the same violin concertos at all. Quite the body of work and quite the package.

I just checked and somebody has posted a few great scans of the album covers on Amazon. I hope they post 100 more! The Leonard Bernstein box was the first big classical box that had a scan of every unique cd cover in the box. Much nicer looking on my Itunes/Sonos.

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Looking through the Amazon customer reviews, it looks like this set is missing one thing from the 1994 65 CD set "Heifetz Collection". However, those pieces are available on CD from Deutsche Grammophon.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hmmm.. . .Not sure why Sony would have rights to Decca material and that it would be expected to be in this box. If that material really had come out on an RCA volume it would be curious.

It will be quite some time before I get through this box a few times and go "now about those Decca sides. . . " :)

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

The Sony set is called the COMPLETE ALBUM COLLECTION (not Original Jacket Collection). Do the Decca sides constitute an album? Maybe for some, but these encores and transcriptions are trifles to me. Deep River. Old Folks at Home. White Christmas. :o

From Amazon review:

9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Released yesterday in EU, the first of two Naxos Historical titles collecting the mid-1940's Decca sides that were not in the Complete Album Collection. These were also issued in the US in the late 80's on MCA, long OOP. I believe Mark Obert-Thorn effected transfers for the new set.

Attached Files:

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Is that the same material that's on the DG set ('It Ain't Necessarily So')?

11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

You're right, looks like it is. I must have missed that set. :magoo: Nevermind. :cool:

12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes.

13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

14. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I think this set is nearing sold out. As of this post, Amazon US is down to one copy, and it is out of stock on Amazon UK. There are still new sets available on eBay, though.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Starting my way through this Jascha Heifetz box set, listening along with my Dad. (I listened to about half of it previously before I moved to Ohio and lost most of my own listening time). The early material is really well-mastered here. Very enjoyable, involving sound.

[​IMG]

carledwards likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.