Grateful Dead - The Warner Bros. Studio Albums Vinyl Box (Exclusive Edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John D., Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John D.

John D. Senior Member Thread Starter

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I'm buying!!

3. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

Sounds good....

"To ensure the highest degree of quality, the albums were pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI using lacquers cut from the original analog masters by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering."

I will be purchasing this.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Getting the original mix of Aoxomoxoa will be a treat. I thought the original mix of Anthem was already out, on CD?

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting, possibly desirable, but the price is pretty high.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The original mix of Anthem is on CD. The remix of Anthem is the rare version. Aoxomoxoa is vice versa.

7. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Originals sound pretty dang good....imho.

If these are as dynamic and quiet, count me in!!:cheers:

8. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

A must-have for me so I've already pre-ordered. If you think it's pricey now, wait until they go out of print!

9. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Vinyl only? Oh well....

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member Thread Starter

The best way to hear this music. :thumbsup:

11. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:righton:

I've always understood that the original mix of Aoxomoxoa was lost. It has apparently been found for this vinyl box.

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Yeah, I'll be interested to hear the back story on that. They've been swearing up and down for years that the original masters of Aoxomoxoa were made of unobtanium.

I actually don't think the price is terribly out of line - but on the other hand I'm happy enough with my current copies of these records and don't really need new ones.

13. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I agree, it looks good but pricey at $27 an LP.

I noticed it's being pressed back at RTI. I wonder if that has anything to do with Pallas botching the Neil Young vinyl box set-although I guess it could be for any number of reasons.

14. TRM05

TRM05 New Member

doesn't seem that expensive to me, the packaging looks top notch and the book will be a nice addition.

I have 1st pressings of AB and WD and an early stereo pressing of the self-titled. I haven't looked to hard but I've never come across the orginal mixes of Aox or Anthem. If this had the mono self titled I wouldn't even hesitate.

As it stands now I'll probably still order it. Hell for what the Fillmore boxes are going for this could be an investment! Although this doesn't appear to be limited or numbered.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

If these were released individually they would be priced at between $24.99 and $29.99, so the price is reasonable.

Warner/Rhino vinyl usually prices their "premium" product in that area, and I would assume this is a premium product with Chris Bellman mastering and it being pressed at RTI.

16. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

That's true. I guess I'm also looking at it from the perspective of being in Canada where this set will cost even more. Perhaps around $150 CDN plus tax, but I'm just guessing.

With Chris Bellman on board we know the mastering should be top notch. I'll wait to hear some reports on the quality of the pressings first, as I like many others I'm sure have bought my share of good and bad vinyl pressed at RTI. I sure hope they do this set well.

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm confused also about Anthem. The remix is what's been unavailable. Maybe they'll correct themselves, as its a pretty important detail.

18. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I went ahead and pre-ordered. Thanks for the heads up!

19. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

i'll buy this. At $27 or so per album, not a bad list price for analog-sourced 180 gram if they end up sounding good. Sounds comparable in quality to the Doors box set which I believe had a higher list price per album.

20. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

1. No.
    2. I'll still be hearing the music - I just won't be buying the music.
    (And I've spent many many hundreds of dollars with Dead.net over the years.)

21. timboz

timboz Member

I'm a model consumer - I pressed 'Add To Cart' immediately on seeing the Pre-order.

The discussion regarding the Anthem original mix is interesting. Perhaps member R.Totale can add to the discussion - I've quoted a comment from another thread regarding Anthem of The Sun:

Perhaps this suggests the remastered CD used the original mix however it was tweaked in some way, where the new vinyl release will truly reflect the original mix?

22. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

Include me in on this one.

I've been very happy with the vinyl reissues coming out from Warner.

23. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Could be. I've got a pretty tin ear, but I do know the version in the Golden Roads box doesn't sound like the record, at least not my record which is the one I grew up with (which happens to be a WLP). It's good, but I like the record better. If they release the Anthem disc separately I might take a chance on it if I'm feeling rich and in the mood, but original pressings of these records are not impossible to find (or at least they didn't use to be) and for the amount I play them I'm not jonesing for new copies of any of them.

24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

thanks for the heads up. got my order in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.