Miles Davis 71 Disc Box set (70 CDs, 1 DVD) (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Jan 15, 2010.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Nice to see the new boxes are shipping without defects.

I have several of the Miles Davis remasters and a small handful of the metal spine boxes. Can someone point me to a breakdown of what this 71-cd box set is missing compared to the equivalent collection in already released formats?

I am pretty sure I am going to get this box, but I'd like to know which cds from my collection are now redundant and which ones I might want to keep because they have tracks not available on the box.

I'm sure this has been covered, but I am late to the party on this discussion and that thread got rather long!

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Keep your metal spine boxes and you'll be able to sell almost all else that you have. This set has the remasters with alternate takes added I'm pretty sure for all the separate releases so you won't need to keep any. If you have Japanese items you may wish to keep them and compare sound; I find that the Japanese cds often trump these in the box set, though the box set versions sound really really good. If you list the separate remasters you have owners of the box set may be able to definitively help you.

4. Your Miles Davis replacement order has been shipped on the following Fed Ex
    tracking number. The orders are shipping via ground and should deliver
    within the week.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

:righton::righton::righton:

5. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Me too! :)

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Good news to report here. New box arrived, in good outer condition, containing all appropriate discs, with none of the glue or scratches that plagued my first box.

The sleeves are about 1/8" taller to accommodate the discs better.

Good job Sony :thumbsup:

Swansong likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Still haven't heard a word about my replacement.

8. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Did you email Sony details of your order? Have you chased it up with them?

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Mine is on the way...probably will arrive on Monday.

10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I e-mailed it several weeks ago and then sent a follow-up yesterday.

11. ATR

ATR Senior Member

My understanding is that the alternate takes on the metal spine boxes are not on the new box. I could be wrong.

12. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Cool - I had to mail them a couple of times before they got back to me. I would expect you will hear from them soon enough.

13. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

I was surprised how fast they responded to my email today inquiring about the status of my replacement. Less then 5 minutes after I sent the email they sent me back a tracking number.

14. dolphyfan

dolphyfan Member

Just one question,

Does this new shipment include the Japanese versions of "Agharta" and "Pangaea"

15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Burnt wrote in Part 1:

I didn't contact FedEx, but I sent an email back to Sony telling them about the situation, but haven't heard back yet.

If you do contact FedEx I'd be interested in what they say.

I assume Sony asked for FedEx to pick up a large batch of replacement boxes and hadn't provided the necessary forms for Canada-bound shipments.

Hopefully they're on the ball and can straighten this out easily and don't throw up their hands at shipping to Canada.

The only other thing that worries me a bit is getting hit for a large brokerage fee by FedEx, depending on the shipping options that Sony paid for and how they (will) declare the value.

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Just checked the FedEx site and it looks like Sony has cleared things up. It seems to be on it's way now.

17. Lonson

Some are, those that were subsequently added to individual cd reissues of the albums.

18. Lonson

All the discs are exactly the same as the first pressing of the box set.

19. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I figured that for stuff prior to the 'complete sessions' boxes the outtakes would appear. E.G. Milestones, Miles in the Sky, etc. But for IASW on they would not. In most cases for the later albums those weren't alternate takes, they were unissued compositions or jams. Or they were inserts that weren't used.

20. Once I followed up with Sony on my original request I got my shipping confirmation within 24hrs.

21. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Likewise, mine is on it's way. I also hope that I don't get hit with brokerage charges.

22. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

To follow up... I ordered mine from the UK. About a week ago they refunded me 12.5 GBP ($20) for the problems. Then a few days ago I get another email, saying that some of the discs may have playback problems and to contact them. So now they're sending me the new box set. I'll have to return the old one to them, and they'll pay for the return postage. They really stepped up and took care of things. I could have lived with the original box and cleaned the glue off some of the discs myself. This is a really great value as there were many recordings I did not have.
    Maybe at some point there will be a thread detailing the masterings, whether they are the same/different from particular issues. I think in the last thread some people had found that Bitches Brew was different than any other CD version. (?)

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have a list of the catalogue numbers of the individual CD issues whose masterings they picked for this set, and for Bitches Brew they used the mastering of Columbia C2K 65774, which came out in 1999.

24. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Catalogued the entire set Hans?

Any chance you care to share that list? I would be interested in seeing that.

25. Lonson

Really? That does not seem correct to me. I don't HAVE that one, but I have others that share that mastering, and this newest differs in length and some other details, seems a different mix.