Miles Davis 71 Disc Box set (70 CDs, 1 DVD) (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It says you'd have a 30 day return policy, since this is being fulfilled by Amazon on behalf of World Wide Entertainment. So I guess it's safe....

masswriter likes this.
  2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I got my copy from World Wide Entertainment on Amazon. It better be authentic!

masswriter likes this.
  3. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

This is such a great set. I envy those of you experiencing it for the first time.

4. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Are they silver discs?

5. masswriter

Just received it - this set is a legitimate purchase from Amazon ... and at $249.00, it is roughly half the price of eBay, I suggest that anyone thinking of buying this should do so soon since this set is supposed to be a limited edition. In fact, it still has a flyer for the Trumpet set tucked within.

CBackley likes this.
  6. CBackley

From World Wide Emtertainment?

7. masswriter

yes

CBackley likes this.
  8. Komakino___

Komakino___ Forum Resident

Working my way through this set a album a time right now, I Love the electric stuff! can't wait to hear the fabled "dark magus" tommorrow. recommend this set to anyone looking to get into miles davis.

masswriter likes this.
  9. CBackley

Thanks!

Check your copy. I had to return my first copy from Amazon (both from that third party seller, which is neither here nor there) because it was missing one album.

10. masswriter

I just checked every disc ... all present and accounted for . . . this is fantastic for the money. When I read the first part of this thread, and all of the ongoing issues with missing discs, glue, torn boxes, I feel like the gods are with me. I had this box set when it first came out and I was researching for my book, Miles On Miles, and later regrettably sold it, I am happy it has returned to my hands. This is such a motherlode of consistently great music . . . I have all of the metal spine boxes and Bootleg Series (but not Montreux :( I sold it back in the day, too) and it has formed an integral part of my life. What a legacy!

One question, on the 09 Jazz At the Plaza disc, it says on the cover "VOL. 1" . . . did this ever have a follow-up?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    CBackley likes this.
  11. masswriter

I'm curious how you like Dark Magus? I am listening now, a fresh listen from years ago, and it holds up so nicely. The story that Miles used the gig to audition the tenor saxophonist adds resonance to his introduction in Track 2 ... a sweet solo. One critic aptly describes the "dense urban jungle" sound of it. One can detect all kinds of later influences later on that caught on in the 90s . . . jungle music, trip-hop, bass dub, and so on. A great listening experience. It is fantastic to have all of these discs together to track Miles' evolution.

CBackley likes this.
  12. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Just ordered. I've flirted with buying this many times over the years, but have talked myself out of it as I have pretty much all of it elsewhere... but I've caved. The wife will be maaaaaaaad.

13. jaysong

jaysong Well-Known Member

Received this set today, World Wide Entertainment fulfilled by Amazon. Box was flawless, all cd sleeves are present. Did not check every individual cd as it’s a bit of a pain to get the cds out of the sleeves. First cds two played great. I will do my best to listen to these all within the Amazon return period but they have been pretty good about this in the past if it’s a little after. I don’t know what the story is with this seller and this set but there’s no way it’s a Chinese knockoff. My guess is maybe Sony produced extra sets after all the issues when it was released and dumped these to a third party seller as they couldn’t really sell them after as they’d already been “sold out”? Who knows but I’m happy!

14. CBackley

Check all the CDs. My set was missing one.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, I strongly suggest checking all the cd's with these big box sets in case one disc is missing or repeated.

16. polksda

polksda Forum Resident

Almost a year later, and I'm surprised that this box is still available at Amazon, and at the same $249 price point. One can argue that in light of rampant inflation over the last several years, it represents a better value than ever.

I just finally got off my **** and ordered it 2 days ago and it arrived about an hour ago. Still sold by World Wide Entertainment. Has the hype sticker on the outside, and the trumpet case advert sheet on the inside. I checked all 71 discs and outside of a few of the LP sleeves stuck together, no missing or problem discs.

The set came effectively double-boxed. It had its own custom box with a sticker telling Amazon to NOT remove the product from that box, as it was there to protect the set.

So if there are any other procrastinators out there like me, there's still a chance...