Early Seger, Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrmaloof, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member Thread Starter

In the category of "Oh my goodness, I never thought I'd see the day..."

Early Seger, Vol. 1 is coming out on November 24 at Meijer's stores in the Midwest (maybe CD sales online too) and on November 30 at bobseger.com. It looks to be a mix of six older songs from the three Palladium / Warner Bros. albums, including at least one new version, plus four unreleased songs.

The track list according to BobSeger.com:

1. Midnight Rider
    2. If I Were A Carpenter
    3. Get Out Of Denver
    4. Someday
    5. U.M.C.
    6. Long Song Comin' (new version with Motor City Horns and Laura Creamer)
    7. Star Tonight (Previously unreleased)
    8. Gets Ya Pumpin' (Previously unreleased)
    9. Wildfire (Previously unreleased)
    10. Days When The Rain Would Come (Previously unreleased)

I'm amazed that this is coming out, and will really believe it when I see it. I'm even more amazed by the "Vol. 1" in the title. Seger could do lots of volumes in this series if it's 10 songs at a time. But this is a fabulous start!

- Joe

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Early it's not:cheers:

3. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Looks interesting. But I really want those early albums. My Goodness - Why can't they just give us what we want!!!

4. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member Thread Starter

In Segerland, anything before Beautiful Loser is definitely early, so at least the first 6 qualify. Apparently the guitar solo on Get Out of Denver has also been redone by Jimmy McCarty.

I have all the albums (including needledrops of the ones that never made it to CD), so the previously unreleased material is particularly attractive to me. And the new version of Long Song Comin' sounds great! If this does well maybe we'll finally see more releases of pre-Beautiful Loser material.

- Joe

5. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

You are right. Let's hope this does well. I will be getting it.

Sooooo much wonderful material that deserves to be heard. Of all the "difficult" to get albums/cds these Seger discs make me the most frustrated. Growing up in Detriot, I heard tons of these songs/albums growing up. Detriot radio played 2 plus 2 / Heavy Music / Ramblin Gamblin Man / Lucifer...well into the 80s.

I have managed to find The Bob Seger System - RGM and Smokin OP's on CD. Glad to have them, but man, let get the really thing!:)

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

How's about backing up to the mid 60's garage stuff he cut?

7. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

SUUUUHHHWWWWWEEEETTT!!!!!!!!

8. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Early Seger

I would like to finally see the release of early Bob Seger. Songs such as Persecution Smith have not been available even though other early music has such as Ramblin' Gamblin' Man.

We'll have to see what this Early Seger series actually gives us.

Scott

9. Runt

Runt Senior Member

This is good, this is good...but...still a head-scratcher (and I know it's been discussed here often) that the Capitol albums remain unreleased (except for those earlier, now long OOP discs).

At least release RGM and Mongrel, both of which had moderately successful hit singles. When you think of the tons of much more obscure (and crappy) stuff that's been reissued over the years, it just doesn't make sense...

10. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Early Seger

I would like to finally get to purchase the Brand New Morning and Noah albums. I have the Back in 72 album but that is because I was able to track down the original Pallandium pressing of this out of print album.

With these un-released albums and his pre-RGM singles there is plenty of un-heard or little heard early Seger material.

Scott

mooseman likes this.
  11. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The only thing that I'm concerned with is the re-recordings. Leave the music as it is or add the modified rordings as bonus cuts.

12. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

"Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" has been available on a few legit compilations, hasn't it?

13. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

I happy to see some effort made, but this is just weird.
    It seems very short and with strange picks that do not begin to tell the story of Bob's Rockin' pre Live Bullet days

14. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

This is good news /bad news.
    Good that someone's finally looking into releasing early(ier) Seger music, bad news that it just isn't early enough! :shake:

Who's @ss do we hafta kick to get some service around here? :confused:

15. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Ramblin' Gamblin' Man has been issued on CD before, but it's been out of print for a long time.

Here is the amazon link for the listing.

This new disc is a good start, at least. Hopefully there will be more.

Chris

16. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Yeah, IIRC Ramblin', Mongrel, O.P.'s and Seven were all reissued for a very short time by Capitol quite a few years ago and went OOP in about a minute.

17. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

18. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Excerpt from article:

As for all those Hideout singles like "East Side Story" that fans are clamoring to hear, Andrews laughed. "Maybe for Volume 2 we'll get to that."

He doesn't sound too serious about it...I'm thinking it's still not a huge priority. :realmad:

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not to rain on the parade, but only 10 songs, some mucked with to include re-recorded parts? I am not real pleased.

20. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Me neither.

Why Seger is so uphappy with his 60s/early 70s output, when it's clearly his best material, is one of the great mysteries.

21. Just ten songs ,what is this a Collectable cheap 10 track,Sorry give us the complete albums not re dubbed, crap!:eek:

22. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

It didn't seem to be a problem when "East Side Story", "Heavy Music", and "Sock It To Me Santa" were legitimately released on the ABKCO Cameo-Parkway box. I still think it comes down to a rights and royalties issue between Bob and ABKCO in regards to the Hideout singles that were leased to Cameo. Notice that the C-P box did not have any licensing credits listed for the Seger/Last Heard tracks. Does ABKCO still retain rights to these recordings? The issue may not be that Seger doesn't want to issue these songs, it may well be that he doesn't have the right to without licensing them from ABKCO.

23. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

OK Ok not quite what we're looking for, but if we buy this, maybe they will do more! I plan on getting it.

24. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:thumbsup::shh:

25. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Even though I have 5 out of ten of the songs I'm still all over this. If it sells enough perhaps we'll get more. But of all stores, why Meijers?...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.