Early Seger, Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrmaloof, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

well... ok for back in 72, Seven and some tracks of Smoking OPs ( carpenter, boo didley)... but the other ones, though rare and collectible are just average.
    i am not a fan of Rambling, of Noah and BNM is not a "real" seger for me ( i mean it's too different)

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

why not just put out the 3 albums that have never been on CD and be done with it?

they re-released "smokin op's" a couple years back and i though the plan was to do all seven.

bu then again, if cameo-parkway is involved, who knows what's going on? i'm still waiting for their second round of individual CD's form their box set.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Not to be morbid or disrespectful, but now that Mr. ABKCO has given his final deposition, perhaps things will move a bit more smoothly on the Cameo Parkway front. The recent licensing of the Spector stuff to Sony may be a positive sign.

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

You beat me to it. :)

5. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member Thread Starter

Come on folks, Robert Vosgien has been handling the remasters since Punch botched Bullet, and those remasters have had excellent sound quality, if a bit more compression than would be ideal. I've not heard who is doing the mastering on this release.

The person who has held back the missing albums from getting released is almost certainly Mr. Seger himself, not his manager or his label. It seems a strange decision to me too; hopefully this album is a way in for Seger to become reacquainted with the merits of his earlier material.

All the previously released tracks are from the Palladium albums released by Warner, not the Capitol albums, so I suspect this will be a Palladium / Hideout release vs. a Capitol release. Maybe there are some rights reversion issues holding up the original albums at this point, but that doesn't explain why the missing 3 albums weren't even re-released on LP, much less CD, when Bob finally became a star in the late 70s.

- Joe

6. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

No, that was Hugh "Jeep" Holland who started A2 Records. He is deceased and his brother Frank sold the A2 masters to Ace Records.

Punch is alive and well and still managing Bob Seger. He also managed Kid Rock for a few years, ending in 2007.

Derek

7. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Just picked this up tonight from Meijers for 6.99 on sale (reg. 9.99).

The good: This has a nice natural sound. All of the songs are first rate. The cover photo is cool, but I would have picked a earlier photo. The booklet has 5 really cool early photos of Bob. The booklet also give recording dates and full band info. For 6.99 I can't say no.

The Bad: The cardboard sleeve seems to be specially designed to damage the CD while it's being removed. The songs range from 71 - 85. I would have prefered a disc of late 60's early 70 music and moved on in volumes 2 and 3. The style difference between the early 70s and later material is a little...odd. The disc only has 10 tracks and about 35 minutes of music.

Mastered by Robert Vosgien - Capitol Mastering, Los Amgels, CA.
    For the price - it's well worth having, but it really could have been so much more. Whoever is in charge of Bob's career is NOT doing his legacy right. It's a shame!!!

8. Bruceanthony

Bruceanthony Forum Resident

This is from the Meijer Thanksgiving Day Sales ad:

Bob Seger Early Seger Vol. 1

Thursday Only! Save $5, Meijer Exlusive!

$4.99

Reg: $9.99

All other Bob Seger Titles are $6.99

Thursday Only!

6a.m. to Midnight Thursday November 26,2009

Attached Files:

9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

10. spongecake

spongecake New Member

<<This is from the Meijer Thanksgiving Day Sales ad:

Bob Seger Early Seger Vol. 1

Thursday Only! Save $5, Meijer Exlusive!

$4.99

Reg: $9.99

All other Bob Seger Titles are $6.99

Thursday Only!

6a.m. to Midnight Thursday November 26,2009>>

I'm not seeing it on the Meijer's website at 11:30am Thursday. Sold out? Taken out of circulation? WTF?

Bob should be proud of his pre-"Night Moves" catalog. He was a hard-to-beat rocker at one point, but I guess it was easier to be a mellow hot-tub kind of golf rock guy when it paid the bills. Too bad. Nothing beats Mongrel in my book.

11. Runt

Runt Senior Member

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Bought this for $5.99 at Meijer last week (on sale again! lol) and it's not bad, although the track credits are very hard to read and for "Midnight Rider", omitted the recording date. I was intrigued to see that the engineer for the Oct 2009 overdub sessions (Al Sutton) was the guy who did the mastering/pro tools editing on 2 of my old group's stuff some years ago.

The fact that Bob saw fit to re-record an old song entirely and overdub on others may give the answer to why he doesn't simply re-release the original albums---something about them he does not like.

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

How does it sound?

14. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Pretty good. It's not horribly compressed. The overdubs are not too produced either. For what it is, an inexpensive comp of old rare tracks, it's a keeper.

The obvious issue is: why not just put out a box of these kind of tracks instead of just 10 songs. But we take what we can get when it comes to vintage Seger.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

actually the obvious question is:

where in the heck are the three albums that have never been on CD?

16. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

that too...

17. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Seger himself reportedly hates them, so we probably won't see them on CD anytime soon.

18. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Chances of seeing Back in '72 on CD are far better than ever seeing Noah and Brand New Morning ever surfacing again.

Seger's back catalogue is overdue for a complete and proper overhaul.

mooseman likes this.
  19. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Seger blows. The dude is entirely embarrassed by anything recorded pre-Capitol and even a few thing on Capitol.

My friend's band was playing in a Detroit club last year. The one Seger song in their set, "2+2=?", is a crowd favorite, but not one of ol' Bob's. He was there in the crowd this night and after the show, the band asked him what he thought about 2+2, and he simply shrugged and went about his business. Suck it Bob.
    Embarrassed by his best material and loves the garbage he made money from.
    Long live Persecution Smith!

mooseman likes this.
  20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Well don't be coy and beat around the bush. Tell us how you feel about him.

mooseman likes this.
  21. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I was in Meijers last week and they at least 20 copies of this sitting on the shelf. Doesnt bode well for Vol, II does it?

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I want that album, Back In the 72...that's one record I need in my collection. I have all the stuff from The System, Noah.

23. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Nope.
    Now, had they just released an early album, it might sell better and lead to more.
    On this path, the vault might slam shut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.