Speaker Cable Direction?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by notec, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notec

notec Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just received my Grover Huffman SX Full-Range cables in the mail. Very excited.

Does direction matter? I've got one cable connected with the lettering reading to the speaker and the other with the lettering reading to the source (amp).

I figure it doesn't matter much but if I ever unhook 'em I figure it's nice to know which way they broke in when hooking back up?

Thought? Cheers...

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

An easy way to do this is to simply follow the writing on the wire. Reading from L to R, the L side becomes the source and the R side is connected to wherever it's going to.

I don't think Grover has much writing on his creations but usually his signature is on a "tab" at one end of the wire. Follow the signature... R to L. :)

Does direction matter? Does breaking in matter? We've had a few fights over the years about that! :laugh:

The answer for direction is "If you can hear it - yes. If you can't - no." :D But it's not critical... I think... :sigh:

The answer for breaking in is "If you can hear it - yes. If you can't - no." :laugh: But I always say to not make any final judgments until after a few days of where there is a signal going through the wires. You don't have to be present when you're "burning in" a wire. That way any changes will be very noticeable.

And now we'll hear from the Yea sayers and Nay sayers. :)

3. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

Wire is simply a length of metal encased in an insulating sheath. It doesn't have a direction, whatever someone may tell you. Asking about the "direction" of a wire is as meaningless as asking which end of a slinky is the top. It conducts current equally well in both directions; if it didn't, you simply wouldn't get any sound out of it.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

[strike]The top of a slinky is the end that is higher than the other end. If it's on it's side, it's not doing it's job right. [/strike]

Oh, nevermind.... :D

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_216.html

Food for thought.

7. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing yesterday when I hooked up some interconnects that had flow arrows. I hooked them up in the correct direction while wondering "What is this crap?"

8. Dansk

The bolded part is where my horse-hockey detector goes to red alert.

The signal that your speakers are receiving is alternating current. It goes positive, then it goes negative, and it does this dozens to thousands of times a second. When it's positive, electrons are flowing in one direction. When it's negative, electrons are flowing in the other direction.

The electron flow needs to have equal resistance in both directions in order for speakers to function at all. If one direction conducts better than the other, you have some seriously crappy wire.

9. tootull

Like I said, food for thought - Not that I believe in this, until...
    My little test:
    I have Monster® THX™ speaker cable with directional cues. The Infinity EMIT tweeter in my centre speaker had a slight edge to the vocal when wired directionally the wrong way.

10. Dansk

Yes, and you also knew what you did when you listened to the before and after.

I firmly believe in the necessity of double-blind testing. The mind is capable of amazing tricks. I've heard huge improvements in my system before, only to discover that nothing had actually changed, or that I was accidentally listening to what I believed to be an inferior component. I don't trust MYSELF to hear these differences, so why should I trust anyone else?

11. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I thought it had to do with shielding being grounded on one side and not the other to reduce RFI/hum. It can't have to do with 'the direction' of the current, wire doesn't work that way.

12. Dansk

Hundreds of money-hungry wire manufacturers would LOVE to make you believe otherwise. ;)

13. tootull

Fair enough, I tend to have your view on the matter of double-blind testing, I'm only reporting what I "believe" occurred.

The mind is capable of amazing tricks. AMEN!

14. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Wire does not have to be insulated.

15. Toka

Toka Active Member

If the cable has a floating shield at one end it will matter how its hooked up.

16. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I can't say that I believe in 'directionality' of cables. But then, until a few months ago, I really didn't believe in the ability of cables beyond a reasonable price point, to make any difference. Man, was I ever wrong!

So, now the jury is still out. Meanwhile, all of my 'directional' interconnects are connected properly according to the arrows - just in case!

17. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

:shake:

18. Dansk

That's nit-picking. For any application where RF interference is an issue, the wire should be insulated.

19. markhughes

markhughes Forum Resident

The direction markings on cable may be useful if they were say being installed in a wall, and the installer wanted to know which direction he should be heading, apart from that it's complete crap. I once read on another forum a comment from a cable manufacturer who said he had seen the electrons flowing in a certain direction in his cables when viewed through an electron microscope. Wow! I'm not sure if he got the nobel prize in physics for the observation.

20. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I'ts not nit-picking, it's being accurate. By the way, a lot of cable mfrs will tell you the best insulation is air; most of the sound quality problems from wires come from the plastic insulation acting as dielectric.

Where RF is an issue, it should be shielded, this is not the same as insulated.

21. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Just in case they turn out to be diodes? :D

22. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

I wonder if he managed to clock them :laugh:

23. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I can just imagine a group of grown men standing around a piece of wire, betting on which electron was going to finish first. Like a horse race, only smaller.

24. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

:thumbsup: :cheers: you're like a professor!
    ..If one direction conducts better than the other...then is a semi-conductor :laugh:...must be selenium or germanium cables dopeds with "channels N or P"....:laugh:
    cheers, good post!
    :sigh: gee...now you told their secrets! :laugh:
    cheers!

25. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

Correct! :thumbsup: (one more professor here)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.