Grant Green on TV 1966, WGBH-TV Boston

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Found this picture of Grant Green by Lee Tanner. The caption stated it was taken when Green performed on WGBH-TV, Boston 1966.

[​IMG]

I reached out to Lee Tanner. It was for a show he produced in the 60s called "Mixed Bag." He said the 1966 Boston TV footage has SURVIVED!!!!!!!! I asked if it was 2 inch quad or a kinescope but he did not say.

I have forwarded the lead to Michael Cuscuna and the "Jazz Icons DVD" folks.

It would be awesome if this uncirculating 1966 Grant Green TV performance makes it to DVD!!

Let's keep our fingers crossed. The only circulating Green video footage is the 1969 Ronnie Scott video with Burrell and Kessel, so the 1966 Boston TV footage is extremely interesting.

SinnerSaint, AnalogJ and John Fell like this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

That's cool. WGBH was, as far as I know, the first PBS station; at the very least it's where a lot of PBS content originate[d]/. I bet they have tons of this stuff but very little money to go through it.

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

mixed bag was a series although i don't know much about it. paul butterfield appeared on there in 1968 which i've only heard, not seen.

4. zappa

zappa New Member

wow! i'd really love to see this!

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd love to see this as well, I'd also be interested in what else their archive holds.

Did the 1969 Ronnie Scott footage ever get a proper video or DVD release?

6. leir

leir Forum Resident

Indeed! :righton:

7. monkboughtlunch

There is a cool DVD series called Jazz Icons (I believed distributed by Naxos) specializing in publishing vintage jazz performances from the 50s and 60s.

This 1966 Grant Green performance would seem tailor made for the label.

http://jazzicons.com/

8. monkboughtlunch

I reached out to "Reelin In The Years Productions," the folks who have a hand in producing the Jazz Icons DVDs.

Here's the response I got from Tom Gulotta, Art Director:

9. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Well, WGBH is perhaps the wealthiest public television station in the nation. It's not your run-of-the-mill station, so it's a little misleading to suggest they are unable to catalogue their own tape files. There's a recently released Howlin' Wolf DVD on the market out there featuring a 1970 live performance that was also sourced from WGBH programming.

10. Very cool, many thks.

11. monkboughtlunch

[​IMG]

Folks, check out the left hand side of the photo above. That's a Hammond B3.

Is it possible JOHN PATTON or LARRY YOUNG performed with Green on this show?

Green recorded with both Patton and Young during this time period.

12. serge

serge Forum Resident

Wow i'd love to see this....I can't believe people are so cavalier about this: "oh yeah we'll keep it in mind.."..
    WTF??? This would be a major coup

This is why you just wish regular people had this footage.. it would be up on youtube in 5 minutes and we could all enjoy it...

I always wonder if there could possibly be any footage of Mobley.. its a crime not to have any of him..

bhazen and Jose Jones like this.
  13. monkboughtlunch

BTW, does anyone know when Steve's remastering of Green's "Idle Moments" will be released as an SACD? Has the street date been pushed back?

14. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

This would be the holy grail to me. Grant Green is one of my greatest guitar influences! Anyone know who the drummer is back therE?

15. monkboughtlunch

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Drummer looks like Ben Dixon to me, I agree, good call.

Wow, if Big John Patton or Larry Young were on B-3 organ on this TV appearance, that would be even more incredible.

The Blue Notes with Green and Larry Young were from 1964-5, right? STREET OF DREAMS, I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND, TALKIN' ABOUT, and INTO SOMETHING. So it seems unlikely it'd be Young.

By contrast, for Patton and Green, while many of their pairings were also slightly earlier in the 60s, GOT A GOOD THING GOIN' was done in 1966. So I'd put my money on the organist, if there is one as there sure looks to be, being Patton.

17. monkboughtlunch

Agreed. Most likely Patton.

18. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Given the timeline I also agree on Patton, especially if that is Dixon. I absolutely love that line-up of Green, Patton and Dixon. Great late night grooves that could go on forever! This would be a spectacular piece of history.

John Fell likes this.
  19. monkboughtlunch

Feedback from Michael Cuscuna (without a doubt the greatest reissue expert and champion of Blue Note artists).

He's going to reach out to Jazz Icons DVD folks as well. I'm sure his email will get a lot more attention with the Jazz Icons folks than mine.

20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Great idea, Monk! Thanks for alerting him, if anyone can get the wheels turning to get this issued somehow, it'd be Mr. Cuscuna.

21. monkboughtlunch

A bio on Lee Tanner.

Source: http://www.jerryjazzmusician.com/mainHTML.cfm?page=tanner.html

22. monkboughtlunch

Received another email from Tanner today telling me to contact David Atwood, a former WGBH employee.

I sent Mr. Atwood and email and will keep folks posted.

Here's a picture of Atwood at WGBH in 1966 operating a camera dolly from his resume web page. Clearly Atwood would be in a position to provide additional information since he was an employee during the period in question and according to his resume has worked for WGBH as recently as 2005.

This description of the camera below seems to confirm WGBH was using black and white in 1966. I was curious if Green's show was broadcast in color. Appears it was in black and white.

[​IMG]

23. monkboughtlunch

Just got this E-mail from David Atwood. A quick response from a very nice fellow:

24. william shears

william shears Senior Member

This is great stuff guys, really interesting thread:thumbsup::thumbsup:

25. monkboughtlunch

It appears the odds are against this Grant Green performance existing on tape due to a musician's union policy (AF of M) stipulating the performance had to be broadcast live. Of course, that wouldn't seem to preclude WGBH from taping it.

However, I would note that although Atwood states he did not believe the live broadcast Grant Green performance was recorded on 2 inch tape in the first place, he also does NOT rule out the possibility.

It may exist, but the chances certainly appear slim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.