Grant Green on TV 1966, WGBH-TV Boston

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Atwood did say:

So hopefully Mr. Luf can provide some closure on if this exists or not.

2. monkboughtlunch

Some additional info from Lee Tanner today:

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Boy, any of these shows, if still extant as tapes, would likely be absolutely fantastic. This was commercial free TV so you'd get straight takes. And because much of it was done live, on the cheap, you would NOT get too much post production nonsense that seems to ruin so many recorded performances of that era (psychedelic and other gimmicky effects, etc. ). To find an artist you like captured on one of these shows would almost surely be nirvana.

4. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

This is an extremely interesting and awesome thread!:righton:

5. monkboughtlunch

I couldn't agree more. Check out this 1965 TV performance by Wes Montgomery: http://jazzicons.com/vid_wes.html

6. serge

serge Forum Resident

So now it turns out it most probably was not recorded. how sad..

WE are denied a great historical record because of some lame union policy.

7. monkboughtlunch

Feedback from Keith Luf, WGBH Archives Manager:

8. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Ouch...that is a bummer!

I wonder, are there many live Green recording lying in a vault somewhere? We really only have Alive, Lighthouse and Mozambique. I would love to hear more live Green!

9. monkboughtlunch

Just thought of something. This is probably an extreme longshot, but...

Atwood said:

Therefore, what if Grant Green WAS THE SIDEMAN for this TV show? What if the ORGANIST was leading this group?

Since the WGBH archivist said some of the "Jazz" shows have survived, what if there is a tape is filed under John Patton or Larry Young etc (with no mention of side personnel)?

10. monkboughtlunch

If this ends up being John Patton on organ, I wonder if they jammed to an extended workout on "The Yodel?" Given this show aired in 1966, perhaps they performed some stuff from "Got a Good Thing Going" or "Let Em Roll?"

11. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

monkboughtlunch-- THANK YOU!!

It is amazing to see this thread...I went on a similar quest to find info on this show years ago and never came up with anything, but I didn't get nearly as far as you did. If I remember correctly I did email Lee Tanner but never heard anything back.

Keith Luf says the Grant Green tape doesn't exist, but what about the others...? Do you think he would provide you with that info? I know that Bobby Hutcherson was on the show, and would LOVE to know if that still exists! Hell, anything from this show would be a major discovery!

Thanks for the great detective work!!! :edthumbs:

12. monkboughtlunch

Hi webbcity

I asked Mr. Luf if he would be so kind as to provide me a bullet point list of the lead artists on all extant "Jazz" and "Mixed Bag" tapes.

What's interesting is that Atwood didn't believe any of the "Jazz" programs were recorded due to union agreements. But the station archivist, Mr. Luf, said some had indeed survived.

So my hope is:

a) the Green performance COULD survive if the organist was the leader and Green was the sideman (e.g. the tape is filed under "John Patton" and Green's name wasn't listed on the tape logs since he was a sideman). Remember, Atwood said they didn't record the names of side personnel.

b) even if the Green performance doesn't exist, the fact that the performances of other jazz greats may have been preserved on tape is pretty exciting.

So hopefully he will share the full list of artists and we will know more perhaps next week.

13. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Very exciting. Thanks again for doing this. Of course the next challenge would be finding someone willing to release it!! ;)

14. monkboughtlunch

These guys are awesome: http://jazzicons.com/

15. monkboughtlunch

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I like both of those recordings a lot but to me GOT A GOOD THING GOIN' is head and shoulders above the crowd, one of the very finest organ-based soul jazz recordings ever made, just an absolute killer from start to finish. Green, Dixon and Patton were IN THE GROOVE (and Richard Landrum's conga adds a little extra spice too).

You're right it would be so wonderful to hear them do an extended jam on "The Yodel," which for those unaware is the lead off track on GOT A GOOD THING GOIN'. That said, I have to say I'm an even bigger fan of "Soul Woman," which is the second track on that recording. I've at times hit the "repeat" button 2 or 3 times in a row when listening to that track, playing it through entirely each time, and I very rarely do that with anyone's music.

This one is still widely available on Amazon etc on a CD reissue by Blue Note from 2003, which was part of their Rare Groove series, mastered capably by Ron McMaster. Anyone who loves the B-3, Grant Green, and/or soulful jazz would be knocked out!

blutiga likes this.
  17. monkboughtlunch

18. monkboughtlunch

19. dee

dee Senior Member

:wave:...Good Thought!

20. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

The only Grant Green recording I have is 'Matador.' Is this considered a good one?

21. monkboughtlunch

Yes. Matador is considered one of his best. Side personnel include McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones.

22. motorcitydave

Thank you. I did in fact buy that one because I really dig Elvin Jones.

23. monkboughtlunch

Speaking of Matador, below is the new cover art for the audiophile LP version Joe Harley is producing. Steve Hoffman mastered the Lp. Joe said he planned to also make it an XRCD (compact disc format) as well, though it's unclear when this CD would be released. My guess is the XRCD of Matador would be mastered by Alan Yoshida

[​IMG]

24. motorcitydave

Very cool. Thanks again. :cool:

25. monkboughtlunch

Came across a bit more about the Jazz program on WGBH. Some 1966 period footage of WGBH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MhZlrdAEE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.