What Beatles songs did George Harrison play bass on?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware Thread Starter

I seen a lot of pictures of George playing bass during Beatles sessions.
    He is seen playing a Burns Nu-Sonic bass during the Paperback Writer session, ditto for some of the Revolver sessions (Taxman). Some of the pictures from the Abbey Road sessions, he's holding a right handed Fender Jazz.

What songs do you belive he played bass on.

2. SgtMacca

SgtMacca New Member

I think George played bass in Hey Jude (we can see him playing bass in the promo video)

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Honey Pie and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight for sure. He plays bass on Two Of Us using his Telecaster. He also plays 6-string Fender VI bass on Back In The USSR (as does John). Some reports say he plays bass on Drive My Car (he himself admitted to this in more than one interview, but in others he says he played the bass part on guitar) and possibly on She Said She Said. Ron

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Paul plays bass on the studio version. George made no instrumental contribution to the song, and only sang backing vocals. A point of contention between George and Paul for quite some time afterwards (mentioned rather famously in Let It Be).

5. UmbrellaLugosi

UmbrellaLugosi Forum Resident

Greetings -my first post here.

I've long suspected that George played bass on the studio version of Hey Jude. I don't have Lewisohn nearby, but I remember checking years ago and no mention is made of who it is that plays bass. Never sounded like Paul to me (I think it was that low E-G-C run over the C chord that set me thinking)...

Is there any documentation that this was Paul?

Wait - I just checked. Paul recorded a bass part on 1st Aug but that was wiped. No mention of the replacement part - so could this part have then been handed to George?

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I think he played bass on "Old Brown Shoe".

john lennonist and mooseman like this.
  7. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I think George said, that he "doubled" Paul's bass part on guitar in order to get that fat round bass sound. To my knowledge he played bass on "She said, she said" since Paul didn't contribute to the song.

8. CCRider

CCRider Forum Resident

9. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Lewisohn says on the eight track recording from 31 July that Paul plays piano, George electric guitar, John acoustic guitar, Ringo drums. It's possible that George is playing the bass lines on his guitar . The following day Paul overdubbed bass (which was wiped to allow a separate track for the strings), another track for lead vocals and a track for backing vocals. This leaves one vacant track (Ringo also plays tambourine, not sure if it was an overdub or done while playing his drum track). At the very end of the song it sounds like Paul is noodling on the bass (this part was brought forward in the Love remix and is played by Brian Ray in concert). So Paul may have overdubbed an undocumented bass track, or it's George playing the noodling part on either his guitar or on the Fender VI (also undocumented). The mystery continues... Ron

10. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

I know there's been this thread: Beatle Songs WITHOUT McCartney

But has there been a thread for Beatles songs that John played bass on?

- Helter Skelter
    - Long and Winding Road
    - Let It Be

What else?

11. Well at least "Back In The USSR" (along with George), where he also plays drums along with George & Paul...

12. George did the bass on "Golden Slumbers".

13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

George played bass on Rocky raccoon - unless John did- it's not very good.
    And he may have played on Maxwell's Silver Hammer (he does in the movie while John plays lead guitar).

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

John on bass for Rocky Raccoon.

Evan

15. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

They don't all play drums on that track. They all tried the drums on that track but Paul's track was chosen.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Correct.

17. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, it was a composite drum track, Paul's was the basic run-through, the others adding fills etc. The LOVE remix took some parts out and made it a different composite. all three of them are playing drums.

18. I've heard it told both ways...originally I'd heard Paul, but it was somewhere on this forum actually, and recently, that someone chimed in & corrected that it was all three...like a wall of sound Spector drumming thing (the Spector analogy is my addition)...can't say for sure.

19. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

Who is playing the electric guitar that doubles the "Nan na na na na" parts during the verses (such as at 1:23)?

J. D.

20. Onder

Onder Senior Member

George plays that :wave:

21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

John's bass on "Let It Be" was wiped and replaced by Paul. Likewise, his backing vocals were replaced by Paul and George. So actually, John doesn't appear on the released version of "Let It Be" (album or single version) at all.

His bass on "Long and Winding Road" was buried in the mix so far as to be nearly inaudible.

22. Hopefully as few as possible. John played bass poorly.

helter likes this.
  23. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

Ian Macdonald's Revolution In The Head has a nice write up on John's flubbed bass playing, which is as follows: recurring wrong notes at 0:28, 2:10 and 3:07; mis-strikes at 2:39 and 2:52; drop-outs at 2:59 and 3:14; a fumble at 0:19; a vague glissando at 1:03; a missed final push at 3:26. (One can hear McCartney grin at his partner's incompetence at 1:59.)

There are others to my ears...

24. petehepple

petehepple Forum Resident

Which song are you referring to?

25. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Long and Winding Road on Let it Be or 67-70.

Actually, i don't think it's that bad for a take one, but it's much better on the Let it be...Naked version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.