Beatle Songs WITHOUT McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Is Their Any?

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Right off the top of my head, "Within You, Without You" is one. George is the only Beatle on it. Also, "Love You To" only features George & Ringo (tambourine).

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

"Julia" (?)

4. Maidenpriest

Great idea for a Cdr comp? Thats 3 so far i hope their are more:righton: Just re-dressing the balance!

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

another day another beatle thread.

Sean and rediffusion like this.
  6. Maidenpriest

I don't mind the Beatles threads, i just don't like it when its all glory to McCartney, like the others didn't contribute or were his side men, The Beatles was not just McCartney and i think its fair to have a balanced view? Does Revolution 9 feature McCartney?

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Only indirectly, on some of the tape loops.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Anything recorded after November 9, 1966.

9. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

"She Said She Said" (I think)...George played bass

"Julia" maybe?

10. Maidenpriest

What about Norweigan Wood, i don't hear much Bass, but that maybe my equipment?

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Don't forget Paul sings the harmony on the bridge section. :shh:

12. Maidenpriest

OK Then.... its not going to be avery long cdr:D

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:laugh:

Here's another McCartney-free Beatles song: "Good Night", on which Ringo is the only Beatle who appears.

"Across The Universe"?

14. Onder

Onder Senior Member

But Paul did play the bass on She Said She Said. Bass was recorded live on the same track as the drums. And since George and John were on guitars, it must have been Paul on bass.
    George is singing the harmony vocal.

theMess and telepicker97 like this.
  15. Maidenpriest

Yes! Goodnight how did I oversee that one, which version of Across The Universe, the Let It Be one??, and does McCartney play on I Me Mine and For You Blue??

16. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Yes, both of them.
    He plays piano on For You Blue. And on I Me Mine he even sings the chorus harmony vocal!

17. Was going to mention the B side to "Lady Madonna", George Harrison's "The Inner Light" to which most of the song was recorded by George and various Indian musicians at EMI studios in Bombay, India on January 12, 1968. Howver, according the Mark Lewisohn recording sessions book, on February 8, very brief backing vocals were recorded by John and Paul. The book lists E: Geoff Emerick/Ken Scott. (The Beatles were also recording "Across The Universe" that day.)

theMess likes this.
  18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'd like to nominate "Love You To."

There's no bass on it, and it sounds very much to me as if George is singing all the vocal parts.

19. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Also "Love You Too" has Paul on backing vocal and possibly guitar.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Do you have a source for either of these assertions? I don't hear a guitar, and as I said, it sounds to me like George singing all the parts.

When we hear harmony on a Beatle record, we assume there are two or more different Beatles singing, but that's not always the case. I made that mistake for over 40 years with "Things We Said Today"!

21. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Hi, Mike.
    The harmony always sounded like pure Paul to me. We've had a huge thread discussing "Love You To" before. (talk about a hard thread to search for). There is quite obvious guitar on there too- listen to the distorted Bb chord played under the choruses.

I also never assume such a thing about Beatles harmonies as I'm very aware of overdubs and the technique of using the same singer for harmony. I just use my ears to judge who's singing.

Peace Love and Where's Brainwashed Ron?
    Marky

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Hi Marky --

We're both just taking our respective guesses based on what we hear. One of the reasons I think it's George is because the "me" passage begins on the same note, then diverges, with George's lead dropping down below, while the harmony stays with the initial note. When both voices are singing the same note, I don't hear any differing overtones.

Without a really close listen through headphones, I had always assumed this was some sort of an Indian drone instrument playing the Bb...but it could certainly be a guitar. But if it is, how do we know it was Paul playing it? Tracks available for overdubs? I confess I'm not an expert on the intricacies of that!

Has anyone worked out who's playing the rhythm part that chunks along on 1-2-3-4 throughout, and what instrument is used for this? We know a non-Beatle is playing the tabla, so it's certainly possible a non-Beatle is playing this too.

"Love Me To" just always struck me as the sort of song the others said, "OK, George, have at it...we'll see you when you're done!"

23. Frank

Frank Senior Member

RE: Love You To, Lewisohn says:

April 11, 1966:

6 Takes, three in the afternoon, three late evening. Take 6 best = George acoustic guitar and guide vocal, Paul Bass. Then overdubs of sitar (possibly George) and tabla (Anil Bhagwat).

April 13, 1966:

Afternoon reduction mix of 4/11's take 6 into 7. Add: George=Vocal, Ringo=tambourine and an "occasional harmony vocal from Paul (left out of the mix). Song complete, three mono mixes and some edits. Done by 6:30 PM.

May 16, 1966:
    Mixing and copying best mixes for master reel (Love You To not specifically mentioned, but this day is listed in the song index under Love You To)

June 21, 1966:
    Stereo Mix

Looks like the Beatle missing from Love You To was John.

theMess and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  24. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Actually, the harmony on Love You Too only remains as a unison note for less than a second- so it's be hard for any real difference to appear -But as the high note sustains it sounds ridiculously like Paul to me- it has his huskiness. It's one of my little fav moments on a Beatles record. Definitely my favorite moment on that song- and I love that song. It reminds me of the same harmony sound they get on "Savoy Truffle" or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" where Paul almost sounds like he's doing his Elvis.

I don't have Lewisohn's book with me at the moment but IIRC the track configuration reveals instruments played at the same time. I need to find that old thread.

But you're right- we are taking guesses here.

25. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

He WROTE several lyrics to this song, by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.