Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want... Special Edition this year!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by red corner, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red corner

red corner Forum Resident Thread Starter

A new, remastered edition of this classic album will be released in April by EMI.
    Here are all the details of this double-CD deluxe set:

http://www.sinead-oconnor.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=276&Itemid=180

Original album

1. Feel So Different
    2. I Am Stretched On Your Grave
    3. Three Babies
    4. The Emperor's New Clothes
    5. Black Boys On Mopeds
    6. Nothing Compares 2 U
    7. Jump In The River
    8. You Cause As Much Sorrow
    9. Last Day Of Our Acquaintance
    10. I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got

[​IMG]

Bonus disc

1. "Night Nurse"
    Produced by Daniel Lanois. Previously unreleased.
    2. "My Special Child"
    Released as a single in May 1991.
    3. "Damn Your Eyes"
    B-side to 'Three Babies'.
    4. "Silent Night" (long version)
    Released as a single in December 1991. This version from
    "The Ghosts of Oxford Street" soundtrack.
    5. "You Do Something To Me"
    From the Cole Porter tribute album "Red Hot & Blue".
    6. "Mind Games"
    Produced by Daniel Lanois. Previously unreleased.
    7. "What Do You Want"
    B-side to "The Emperor's New Clothes".
    8. "I Am Stretched On Your Grave" (Apple Brightness Mix)
    B-side to "The Emperor's New Clothes".
    9. "Troy" (live in London)
    B-side to "Three Babies".
    10. "I Want Your Hands On Me" (live at Hammersmith Odeon)
    BBC In Concert 25/5/90.

© 2009 Chrysalis Records Ltd.
    This label copy information is the subject of copyright protection.
    All rights reserved.
    © 2009 Chrysalis Records Ltd.

Reissue credits:

Bonus disc compilation and sleeve notes by John Reynolds
    Remastering by Adam Nunn at Abbey Road Studios, London.

2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Can't wait for this. The original CD, IMHO, sounds like garbage, and the selling point for me is to hear a remaster of THE LAST DAY OF ACQUAINTENCE. Man, what an incredible song.

3. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Hmm, remastered at Abbey Road Studios? Doesn't bode well.

4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

When are they going to do a special edition of Lion & the Cobra? This is an album that sounds terrible IMHO and has a boatload of interesting B-sides and remixes (remember the MC Lyte version of I Want Your Hands On Me?). Presumably there are some interesting demos in the vaults too . . .

5. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

My copy is the 1989 Ensign/Chrysalis #F2 21759 ADD. I'm listening to it now, and it sounds pretty good IMO, pretty resolved, balanced, smooth, not overemphasized anywhere in particular - maybe ever so slightly in the treble, but the voices and percussion instruments have good realism qualities. There were earlier versions from 1987 from what I understand. The new one would be interesting for the bonus tracks, but I'm likely happy enough with the recording I've got.

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The kiss of death! Bunch of NR madmen.

kiddo4 likes this.
  7. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I hear ya

8. Oddio

Oddio Forum Resident

My copy is a Canadian CVKW-41759 ADD Cinram version, and I think it sounds excellent.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't hear it that way on my copy.

But I'll get this for the bonus tracks. Thanks for the notice.

10. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Anyone give this a spin yet? Looks like it was out 4/21.

11. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

That's the same copy as I have. Haven't played it in a while, but I remember it sounding pretty good. I could see possibly picking this up. On my copy The Emperor's New Clothes won't play anymore without skipping.

My two favorite tracks have always been Three Babies and The Last Day Of Our Acquaintance.

12. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

The original CD sounds like...garbage?

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Another special edition that makes absolutely no sense. The second disc has very little to do with the first disc. Many of these are not b-sides and unreleased songs from the same sessions, nor live material from that era. This is a mish-mosh of rarities from throughout her career with Ensign/Chrysalis. It should be issued as a stand alone disc...but of course, they make more money if they package it this way...

14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My favorite O'Connor CD as well. Would love them to spiff it up. I first heard this album, by happenstance, when I was in Jerusalem . . . no pun intended.

15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Wow... looking forward to this one!

I met Sinead in 1995... she was stunningly gorgeous :love: ...
    huge Blue eyes!

And for someone who's taken such strong stands from time-to-time, I was surprised at how small she is and that night she looked quite frail and overwhelmed.

I wanted to envelop her in my big, manly arms and protect her! :laugh:

16. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I saw this in the store. The cover says "limited edition". Google doesn't turn up anything on what that means for this title. Maybe they really just meant "special edition".

Allmusic.com has a write-up/review of the bonus disc:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dzfqxzt0ldke

17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

How's the remastering?

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Not sure first hand, but one Amazon reviewer has this take:

19. john lennonist

That's my copy as well (except mine says © 1990 Ensign Records Ltd) and I think it sounds very good.

Anyone know who mastered it (there's no mention of it anywhere in the booklet, etc.)? Was it recorded digitally or analog?

Anyone know about the sound quality (and/or mastering engineer) of the Anthology titled "So Far... the Best of Sinead O'Connor" (cat # 7243 8 23685 2 6 © 1997 Chrysalis / EMI Capitol)?

Also, what's the sound quality of the (rare, as I understand it) U.S. "I Do Not Want..." LP?
    :confused:

20. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

Just a heads up for those who might want to pick this up - new copies are now less than $6 plus shipping on amazon.com these days. Great album (at least the original - just submitted my order for this new release) and price is right!

21. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I've never had a problem with the sound quality of the original -- although it's been a while since I've had it in the hi-fi for a good listen. I do know that it's a very quiet mastering. Most of the songs are in rotation on my iPod and sometimes I think it's gone dead because the level is so low. That's probably a good thing, all things considered.

22. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I ordered this and look forward to the extras...

23. john lennonist

Thought I'd bump this thread since no SHF'ers described what they think of the sound quality on this Special Edition vs the original CD release (or made many comments about the bonus tracks).

I'm also curious what you think about the sound quality (and/or who was the mastering engineer) of the Anthology titled "So Far... the Best of Sinead O'Connor" (cat # 7243 8 23685 2 6 © 1997 Chrysalis / EMI Capitol)?

Thnx.

24. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

I just picked up the 2-disc Collector's Edition. I really like the mastering job on the first disc. I of course bought the original in 1990. When comparing them, I had to really crank the volume on the old one just to get it close, but I feel the new one still beats it. Louder of course (the original was way too soft) but still retains the dynamics. 'I am stretched on your grave' sounds awesome, in particular, on the remastered version.

I love the extra disc. Its the complete opposite in concept from the original album. I consider the original a perfect flowing pop record (much like R.E.M. Murmur, John Mayer Room For Squares, Blur Parklife, for example), but the bonus disc a hodgepodge of all kinds of great stuff...different genres, time periods, covers, originals, studio, live...you name it, its on there and still works very nicely. Glad I finally took the plunge.

25. I do not have the original disc for this release but picked up the 2 disc "limited" edition. hahaha. Sounds pretty decent but I am curious to hear any comments regarding the original vs. the remaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.