Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want... Special Edition this year!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by red corner, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

^^^^
    Not an extensive review, but I did comment briefly on the two above. As mentioned, I had owned the original since its release in 1990 and was very familiar with the sound.

I felt the remaster was a noticeable improvement...enough for me to let go of the original quite easily after listening to the remaster. I know this might get me in hot water on this forum, but I almost felt like the dynamics of the first one were too extreme. During the quiet passages I could barely here the CD at my normal listening level (a good example of this is "The Last Day of Our Acquaintence". I feel the new one strikes a better balance in terms of dynamics. Great headroom and sound stage without inducing any listener fatigue, in me at least.

Just my two cents...maybe some others will comment.

EDIT: as noted in my other post, the track that really sold me on the remaster is "I am Stretched on Your Grave" It really comes alive on this one...

2. I agree. That track sounds fregin great.

3. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I love the Special Edition. Understated but celebratory.

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have the UK version of "So Far...Best of" and I think it sounds great. I also prefer the tracklisting to the US version since it has my all-time favorite Sinead song (Thank You For Hearing Me) and one of her better ballads (This Is A Rebel Song). Having said that, I do not have any other Sinead cds to compare the SQ with. But this thread sparked my interest so I pulled the cd out last night and took a look at the liner notes. No credit is given for remastering so this is either a silent remaster, or more likely some leveling was applied to normalize the tracks from different albums..

I'll have to pick up the Deluxe 2cd at some point.

5. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

How is the original vinyl of "I Do Not Want..."

Gregg

6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

agreed, my fave song of hers -- absolutely blew me away!

7. Mikkel

Mikkel Forum Resident

I love her version of Nothing Compares 2 U. I've listened to it so often in last 20 years but it still touches me ...

8. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

It sounds great.

9. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

NM UK vinyl pressings of Lion & Cobra and I Do Not Want... go for 2-3 pounds each on eBay. In my opinion they both sound spectacular if anyone is looking for a 'go to' copy for listening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.