Gilmour's Wright Tribute - Remember A Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Not sure where to post this, but tonight David Gilmour and his band played 'Remember A Day' live on BBC Jools Holland's TV show, there was also a little interview.

Gilmour and band were due to be promoting his new live Cd/DVD but they choose to talk about Rick Wright, a portion of the famous BBC Barrett/Floyd Piper clip was also shown.

It was a very moving interview with Gilmour explaining that Wright was due to play with them tonight but told him two weeks ago he wouldn't be able to make it:shake:

The performance of 'Remember A Day' was brilliant but very, very moving, it was obvious that Gilmour was finding it very hard to sing, and cracked IMO on the line 'Why can't we play today, Why can't we stay that way'!

I am sure Youtube clips we be plenty for you all too see if you missed it.

Another nice touch was 95% of the audience and bands wore Black, and the headlining band's last number was a really nice slow ballad!:cry: Anyone know what it was called and who the group were?

It was definatly a live8 moment, and a very nice tribute!

(Thanks Theadmans for the heads up:wave:)

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Hopefully someone here will post a link to this video if/when it appears on Youtube. :wave:

My mate and I compiled a three cd tribute Floyd special this week, featuring Richard's work with them, and his solo stuff... very moving music... :shake:

:cheers:

3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSurg2GGvw0

4. Maidenpriest

5. That was great! Thanks for the link and info.

6. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

They were Elbow, who recently won some prize or other, and the song was called One Day Like This. I'm informed that it has been in pretty heavy rotation on Radio 2 lately. I only tune in to hear Bob's Theme Time, so I hadn't heard it before.

7. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

As far as early Pink Floyd songs go, I always thought "Remember A Day" was up there with the best of Syd Barrett's songs. :thumbsup:

I like Gilmour's tribute.

8. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Elbow are a GREAT band who recently won the Mercury Prize for their album The Seldom Seen Kid, and deservedly so.

One Day Like This is a terrific song which deserves to be heard by many more folks than it has. And it sounds like it fit in well with the theme of the evening, a well-deserved tribute to a man who will be missed by many.

9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

That brought a tear. Thanks so much for posting it.

10. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I watched it. A Brilliant tribute. If Syd did play on the original studio version of "Remember a Day"(as is generally believed), then David Gilmour did a fantastic job of reproducing the guitar part.

11. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Syd is definitely playing the acoustic and slide guitar on Remember a Day. It was recorded on the same day as Vegetable Man and Jugband Blues and was finished by October 1967.

All that said I very much agree with you. Dave sounded great.

12. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Thanks for letting us know about this and for posting the link. What a fine performance - Gilmour really has a good band together. Does anyone know the personnel?

13. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

I was watching too and loving every minute of it, especially when my wonderful 72 year old Dad said (about Gilmour's singing) "You wouldn't hear 'im behind a newspaper".....:D

The perfect description but not for the reasons my Dad meant!! :D

Go on The Floyd, still un-impressing the folks in 2008.....:righton:

14. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

+100 :righton: That was great, very moving...:cry: many thanks... :D

:cheers:

15. Hawkfire269

Hawkfire269 Forum Resident

Gilmour's On An Island Band:

DG, guitar/vocals
    Rick Wright, keys/vocals R.I.P.
    Jon Carin, keys/vocals
    Guy Pratt, bass/vocals
    Phil Manzanera, guitar
    Steve DiStaniselao, drums
    Dick Parry, sax

Manzanera is from Roxy Music fame, the drummer played with CS&N. All the others are longtime PF guys.

16. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

17. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I've always loved this song!:)

Anthony

18. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Nice. :agree:

Last nights programme was the 30 minute "live" show on TV. The full hour long programme will be shown late night this Friday on BBC2.

BBC4 have a Gilmour tribute night the same - hour long highlights of the Gdansk DVD and a Floyd documentary.

19. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Man, that's a great tribute. Dave rocks, one of my top two guitarists.

20. Lovely to have yet another older (pre-DSOTM) track performed by Dave in recent years, and a very fitting tribute to Rick as well.

And here's the rest of Dave's appearance on that same episode of the Jools Holland's show, an interview segment largely about Rick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgbUbmEVKxM

21. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

thanks for the links guys. this loss still hasn't sunk in properly, Rick was one of my all time greats. it's so sad he's gone.

edit - what a great version!! it's easy to forget HOW GOOD this song is!! brilliant music. :)

22. Maidenpriest

Great Thanks!:wave:

23. Maidenpriest

I think it is mainly made up with members from the 'Pulse' Floyd touring band, incidently on Bass was Guy Pratt, Rick Wrights Son in law!

24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the youtube link. Great performance of this great song. Remember A Day and Paint Box are easily in my top 5 favorite Pink Floyd tracks.

25. Paint Box is "top 5" for me, and Remember A Day is "top 10". I can't say if they're both really "great" songs, but I sure love 'em.

Is this recent Gilmour remake really the ONLY other version of the song that's ever been done?? Wikipedia says it's the first live version anyone Floyd-related has ever done (but that's Wikipedia, take it for what it's worth, but I suspect it's probably ture). But...

Are there really no other NON-Floydian covers of this tune??

I can't find any others on the AMG, and the only live version on Youtube is lip synched (to the original studio version).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.