Gilmour's Wright Tribute - Remember A Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I've never heard any mention of the Floyd playing Remember a Day live. There aren't that many Floyd setlists that survive from that era and even fewer live recordings. Maybe they didn't play it because Norman Smith played drums on it?

2. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I think that Robyn Hitchcock covered it live, but outside of that I don't know of any other covers.

3. Rando

Rando Active Member

That was incredible, thanks for posting!

In the comment thread of the video, one poster claims that the bass that Guy Pratt is playing was lent to him by Waters and was the same bass used to play the original track. Seems too fantastic to be true ...

4. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Is that true? I had no idea Norman Smith played drums on that song.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Nick says in his book re Remember a Day that he "eventually relinquished the drum kit to Norman" and that the track "sounds more like a Norman Smith track". I was really surprised to read that. FWIW Peter Bown (Piper engineer) said he remembers that they used a session musician to record the tympani on Pow R Toc H.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It was performed(mimed - badly) on French TV in 1968. On youtube.

It looks like a Roger bass that he had around Saucerful - it may have been lent by someone who had it, rather than being sent from Roger - who lives in the US.

7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

:laugh: Waters didn't live in the USA then, they had only been once for a terrible tour and TV apperances, where everything went wrong! Chris M could give you the details?

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I was refering to the live Remember a Day from this week - Waters now resides in the US. That would be a challenge to send a vintage PF bass guitar to the UK for a single TV appearance.

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

10. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Thanks for posting the interview. I watched the Gdansk DVD (disc 3) last night and was thoroughly blown away. If anyone has the belief that 'I have the RAH DVD, I don't really need any more video from this tour.' You might want to reconsider. As good as that show was, this Gdansk show far exceeds than it, IMO. The orchestra only enhances the songs, and doesn't step all over them like the 'special guests' on Remember That Night do, once again, IMO.

11. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Brilliant Alan, thanks for posting that Newspaper article, wish I had noticed it friday?:righton::wave:

12. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Thanks for that post Colocally! :righton:

13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

That was very well done, heart-felt, and moving.

I've always loved this song, which was always so nostalgic.

14. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

Blimey - the Sun printing something of integrity and interest. Wonders will never cease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.