Van Morrison '08 Japan cd remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

People keep asking about these, but no one on the forum has come forward with anything. I am extremely dubious of that review. Slamming the sound of the original Street Choir cd does not enhance the reviewer's credibility. . .

3. tomd

Does anyone know any online retailer that has these besides cd japan? Trying to order with them is a nightmare

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Ah, so they ARE remastered ... I've gotta order these ...

5. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

:confused: I have never had a problem ordering from them.

6. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Try Hmv japan however I have never had any problem ordering form cdjapan.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Me either.

Matter of fact, they rule.

8. tomd

Whenever I try to order from CD Japan the page times out,also I tried to get my password sent to my email-no luck.Went with Yes Asia-even though they were $3 more.

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

They are very easy to deal with, never a problem.

10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

So, has anyone heard these yet?

11. Batfish

Batfish Forum Resident

I've been ordering stuff from CDJapan for several years, and have had nothing but prompt, professional service from them. They give discount points for each purchase and send out discount coupons pretty regularly (on your birthday, too!) and while the coupons aren't enormous (though 500 yen sounds like a lot) I wind up getting what amounts to free shipping on some of my orders.

12. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Didn't all three sound excellent the first time around? I have Moondance and it certainly does!:righton:

13. tomd

Moondance doesn't sound bad for mid 80's technology but listen to the Moondance tracks on the new Van Morrison Still On Top Greatist Hits and see what improved technology brings-much better resolution,depth,and extended bass.I would expect the Japanese remasters to sound like that.

14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

They are listed on CD Japan as "Priced down reissues with 2008 remastering".

I have never experienced anything but good service from CD Japan.

15. curbach

Moondance and Street Choir sound fine IMHO. There is room for improvement, but based on my experiences with recent Japanese masterings I'd say we're unlikely to get it from these releases. I've never been crazy about the sound of the Astral Weeks cd, but again I doubt the new disc will be an improvement. I predict jacked up levels, high compression and screeching highs :rolleyes: Hopefully, someone will report otherwise.

16. tomd

Well in all fairness -from most of the posts I've read on this forum a lot of members here are hyper- sensitive the compression and loudness on most (but not all)remastered cds.Most older (1980's) cd just seem too muddy to me compared to their remastered counter parts.

17. curbach

'Tis true there are a lot of sensitive souls here :angel: I don't think I'm as sensitive as most, but the recent Japanese remasters I have heard are exceptionally bad. Whatever your opinion of Polydor's current remasters of Van's catalog, I would expect these releases to sound worse. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm happy to let someone else gamble their $$$ to find out :cheers:

18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Reviewers at CDJapan seem skeptical:

Reviewer: Greg Sinclair (UNITED STATES)
    These new WB Van Morrison sound ok, but I think we're still waiting for the real 1st generation remasters.
    Still a timeless album, that sounds as fresh today as it ever did.

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've ordered all three from CD Japan and will report back when they're here.

20. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I'm eager to see what you think. I love these three albums, and I know there was room to improve the sound of the original CDs. Not that they are bad, but if the extra care was taken I'm certain there was more information on the tapes.

21. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Just got Moondance today and the tambourine is there on "Into The Mystic". Sound is great. Thankfully they didn't ruin this masterpiece. Recommended!

22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

You know I was first impressed with the sound of SHM CDs, but after serious listening I think otherwise. They all somehow sound "glassy" and harsh on my system. Don't know how to correctly explain it but there's something wrong with SHM CDs, no matter what mastering they use. Even the excellent Kiss remasters sound harsh and analytical. Van Morrison's Wavelenth had exactly the same "glassy" sound which leads me to believe it's SHM. I would be extremely caucious with these new SHM remasters!:sigh:

23. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

I don't believe that these 3 are SHM. No mention of it anywhere on the packaging as far as I can see.

24. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Speaking of packaging - the artwork on these follow the original CD issues you know so well:

- no bar code (except on OBI)
    - the compact disc disclaimer:

"The music on this Compact Digital Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of it's high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape"

- bio of Van & album description is on the rear cover

in addition:

- OBI has the Rhino logo (?)
    - these are part of the "Forever Young" series :) as stated on the OBI
    - no mention of who remastered them

BTW, I like the sound of Moondance and Street Choir; not so thrilled with Astral Weeks so far.

Baffled, but liking them anyway.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have a West German Moondance that sounds very good but I think I will probably pick these up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.